FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA 744 vs BA 777 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/32218-ba-744-vs-ba-777-a.html)

bseller Nov 27, 2002 5:25 am

BA 744 vs BA 777

My apologies in advance if this topic has been covered previously....
Mrs. bseller and I plan to travel ORD-BCN (in F) with a stopover in London to celebrate New Year's, and I recently found out that the ORD-LHR flights are now run with one (1) 777 (the 5PM-ish flight), and one (1) 744 (the 8PM-ish flight).
I have flown F in the 744, and enjoyed it very much, but the earlier flight is "slightly" better timed for our itinerary,,,,,so my question is:
Is it worth waiting for the later flight to fly 744 F, or is the 777 F product so similar that it doesn't make a difference?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and Best Wishes.

whmere Nov 27, 2002 7:03 am

My preference is for the 744. I like the little table with the newspapers/water/choccies. Plus on a 777 the aisle is a corridor to the front galley, with the concomitant to-ing and fro-ing all through the flight by cabin crew to disturb you.

The 'product' per se , however, is identical. You'll get the same seat, food, service etc.

number_6 Nov 27, 2002 7:04 am

Substantially similar, 777 has both advantages and disadvantages but not enough to matter (the cabin crew you get will make a bigger difference). There have been lots of complaints about temperature control on the 777 but I have never found it to be different from the 747s in that regard (and I've been snowed and rained on many times by 747s, a special feature of their F cabin).
It is the 767s which are a bit worse due to the narrower cabin, but BA has the best 767 service by far of any of the airlines (in F).

tfjim Nov 27, 2002 9:30 am

The two cabins are mostly different from an "intimacy" point-of-view. The 744 F cabin seems more intimate due to its location ahead of the galley in the nose of the aircraft. However I find it a bit more "cramped" than the 777 F cabin. The 777 F cabin seems more open and airy to me. I don't have any issues with the traffic flow through the cabin due to the galley being in front. I think that for two people planning to travel together with a choice between the 777 and 744 that the 777 would be preferable because there are 3 sets of double seats in the middle and the don't seem as jammed in there as on the 744. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by tfjim (edited 11-27-2002).]

nologic Nov 27, 2002 1:25 pm

The differences are subtle and not as important as the flight times.

I find the 777 has more counter space in the window seats for your junk, which is nice.

Otherwise, I don't have a preference at all.

michswiss Nov 27, 2002 3:28 pm

I just flew my first segment in F on a 777. I was working pretty much the whole flight so didn't mind or notice the traffic in the cabin. Although, I'd say when travelling on non-business I would prefer a 744. There's something about turning left when boarding a plane and knowing no one will be passing through other than for service. Additionally, if you are in rows 1 or 2 the shape of the cabin can provide some good almost forward views.

JHIN Nov 27, 2002 7:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by michswiss:
I just flew my first segment in F on a 777. I was working pretty much the whole flight so didn't mind or notice the traffic in the cabin. Although, I'd say when travelling on non-business I would prefer a 744. There's something about turning left when boarding a plane and knowing no one will be passing through other than for service. Additionally, if you are in rows 1 or 2 the shape of the cabin can provide some good almost forward views.</font>
I agree completely with taking the 744. You get much less foot traffic and I prefer this. I was on a 744 connected to a A340 on CX and what a different in foot traffic. The 744 is much quieter.

thadocta Nov 28, 2002 7:39 am

Steering this across to a steerage cabin viewpoint, I will be flying JFK-LHR soon, flights not yet booked, and wondering how it goes down the back of the bus?

As a OneWorld sapphire, chances of upgrade are practically zero, but I do not mind spending 7 hours or so in steerage.

Any thoughts as to which is better?

Dave

Globaliser Nov 28, 2002 8:40 am

Personally, I prefer the 777 over the 744 for comfort and ambience, particularly because it's much quieter, even behind the wing if you get stuck that far back, and because of the overhead design which gives such a feeling of space.

The 3-3-3 BA configuration means that as a singleton you get the same basic advantages and disadvantages of layout on both aircraft, unlike a 2-5-2 on a 777, which raises markedly different issues from those raised by a 3-4-3.

Of course, the 777 is supposed to be a higher yield aircraft, which theoretically ought to tend to mean that the cheap seats sell out quicker ...

ozzie Nov 28, 2002 12:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
Steering this across to a steerage cabin viewpoint, I will be flying JFK-LHR soon, flights not yet booked, and wondering how it goes down the back of the bus?

As a OneWorld sapphire, chances of upgrade are practically zero, but I do not mind spending 7 hours or so in steerage.

Dave
</font>
As a Oneworld Sapphire (as I then was) easlier this year (now emerald) - I was upgraded three times in two months on BA longhaul flights. Twice to club, and once to WT+.... so it does happen !

dnw Nov 28, 2002 1:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
Steering this across to a steerage cabin viewpoint...

Dave
</font>
I would say the 777. The improved ergonomics and larger storage space really make a difference down the back (so I'm told http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif)

dnw