Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Seats LHR-JNB & CPT-LHR Advice Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Morning all, need to organise some paid & some miles seats for October next year in BA First but a relative newbie on this route & certainly never booked miles seats before on it.

Could use advice from you seasoned hands on normal miles seats allocations and likely ease of availability for LHR-JNB and ideally return CPT-LHR. Sounds mad but ideally I need 4 miles seats and 2 paid.

If I read this years BA miles seats correctly, October will likely be an 'off-peak' month? Well on LHR-JNB anyway. Not sure CPT-LHR.

We have options on what days to travel out and back ... can flex to take best advantage or availability.

Can also jump back up to JNB for return if needed but prefer direct from CPT.

Any advice and pointers hugely appreciated before we prep for the 355 and counting game. Many thanks
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
You maybe lucky with First to/from JNB, but flights to CPT not a chance. Things might improve at the end of October when BA add the BA43/42 rotation, and possibly the LGW-CPT flight

There will be 2-business seats available when BA release the flights, but they don't tend to be there for long, and you will be need to be smart for adding the return leg
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It's a lottery over when / if you will see F seats on any route on any day - all On & Off peak dates are the same for all routes. F reward comes up quite a bit on JNB - far less on CPT
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escape2sun
You maybe lucky with First to/from JNB, but flights to CPT not a chance. Things might improve at the end of October when BA add the BA43/42 rotation, and possibly the LGW-CPT flight

There will be 2-business seats available when BA release the flights, but they don't tend to be there for long, and you will be need to be smart for adding the return leg
Thanks escape2sun....yes I saw quite a few JNB first seats (up to 6 but more often 4) on odd days but very little CPT.

Sorry can you explain the 43/42 rotation please ... it that a winter schedule extra? And is the LGW flight a likely option emerging?

Just off topic internal business flights from CPT-JNB, are they any good? Have any idea of checked weight allowances for those? If we can get back to JNB and then it could be easier as you mention.

Many thanks
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
It's a lottery over when / if you will see F seats on any route on any day - all On & Off peak dates are the same for all routes. F reward comes up quite a bit on JNB - far less on CPT
Is weird, I've been very likely on F allocations in the past but only once had to harvest 4 of them....on an easy DXB flight.

When you say On/Off peak dates are same for all routes, you mean across the board or location flights on a certain date?

At least good that F option on JNB is a relatively easy one. Shame about CPT. We got a couple OAP's on trip so trying to minimise the connections etc

Thanks for the advice
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Thanks escape2sun....yes I saw quite a few JNB first seats (up to 6 but more often 4) on odd days but very little CPT.

Sorry can you explain the 43/42 rotation please ... it that a winter schedule extra? And is the LGW flight a likely option emerging?

Just off topic internal business flights from CPT-JNB, are they any good? Have any idea of checked weight allowances for those? If we can get back to JNB and then it could be easier as you mention.

Many thanks
BA in the Northern Summer has the BA59/58 flight/rotation, from end of October-end March it adds the BA43/42 flights/rotation as a second daily direct flight.

Last year and this year it has added a 3 times weekly LGW-CPT flight from mid-November to March

From personal experience the LHR-CPT-LHR flights are extremely busy, as it is spring in the Cape, and the weather is often very pleasant, with whale watching in Hermanus and the Spring Flowers up the west coast
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Have just done LHR - CPT and JNB - LHR in First on a 241, but only needed two seats. Both flights found and booked on 30th Sept 16 for travel on 17 Aug 17.

"Just off topic internal business flights from CPT-JNB, are they any good? Have any idea of checked weight allowances for those? If we can get back to JNB and then it could be easier as you mention."

The BA (Comair) internal flights, bookable via ba.com, are fine and good value in Club: better seating and food too. You might find this helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-ecomomy.html

Baggage allowance 2 x 23kg in Club if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Just off topic internal business flights from CPT-JNB, are they any good? Have any idea of checked weight allowances for those?
The BA (Comair) internal flights, bookable via ba.com, are fine and good value in Club: better seating and food too. You might find this helpful:

The BA-coded Comair-operated domestic flights are fundamentally identical to BA mainline short-haul Club flights in all but fairly fine detail.

This includes the fact that they can sometimes be good value as RFS redemptions, although it's worth noting that the fine detail includes the fact that the cash component needed for Comair is a little bit more than the cash component needed for mainline RFS.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escape2sun
BA in the Northern Summer has the BA59/58 flight/rotation, from end of October-end March it adds the BA43/42 flights/rotation as a second daily direct flight.

Last year and this year it has added a 3 times weekly LGW-CPT flight from mid-November to March

From personal experience the LHR-CPT-LHR flights are extremely busy, as it is spring in the Cape, and the weather is often very pleasant, with whale watching in Hermanus and the Spring Flowers up the west coast
Thanks for clarifying .... is useful data.

Yes we also guilty as charged on the tourist angle.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey
Have just done LHR - CPT and JNB - LHR in First on a 241, but only needed two seats. Both flights found and booked on 30th Sept 16 for travel on 17 Aug 17.

"Just off topic internal business flights from CPT-JNB, are they any good? Have any idea of checked weight allowances for those? If we can get back to JNB and then it could be easier as you mention."

Going take a look at that link Charlie Whiskey .... many thanks for the data and the time horizon on miles booking.....cause for optimism. Many thanks
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
The BA-coded Comair-operated domestic flights are fundamentally identical to BA mainline short-haul Club flights in all but fairly fine detail.

This includes the fact that they can sometimes be good value as RFS redemptions, although it's worth noting that the fine detail includes the fact that the cash component needed for Comair is a little bit more than the cash component needed for mainline RFS.
Is great advice Globaliser .... no idea why but for some irrational reason I assumed Comair was going to be a rough ride .... good to know at least it's familiar ground.

I've never looked at RFS options. Given our numbers then definitely worth a look.

Appreciate you taking the time as always Globaliser. Cheers
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just booked my outbound Lhr-Jnb for next year at -355. 2 CW seats available on both flights. 2 first on one flight and 4 on the other, so it is doable....
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
A couple of extra bits of info

- you can use Tim Rogers baredemptionfinder.com and set up email alerts for redemption availability
- the Comair SLOW domestic lounges are truly excellent

Good luck
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tdgraves
Just booked my outbound Lhr-Jnb for next year at -355. 2 CW seats available on both flights. 2 first on one flight and 4 on the other, so it is doable....
Apols for the late reply, been away .... good to know and thanks for advising. Yes about to process mine within the next few days....hope to emulate your success. Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cabbage
A couple of extra bits of info

- you can use Tim Rogers baredemptionfinder.com and set up email alerts for redemption availability
- the Comair SLOW domestic lounges are truly excellent

Good luck
Apologies for the late reply. Will definitely look at the link you mention and thanks for the heads up on lounges ... is really helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.