Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dirty planes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The OP might not want to complain but he should at least say which flight/aircraft he was on as well as his seat number. Flyertalkers can keep an eye out for the piece of gum to find out how long it sticks around for.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:37 am

I'd have thought the cabin crew member would try and deal with it on the spot. Of course they are not cleaners by trade and it should have been dealt with by the cleaning team. But given the circumstances, I don't understand why they'd say there's nothing they can do, as there clearly is.

I should add I'm not taking aim at CC here. In the scheme of everything at BA right now I'm firmly on their side in the trials and travails at the firm.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The OP might not want to complain but he should at least say which flight/aircraft he was on as well as his seat number. Flyertalkers can keep an eye out for the piece of gum to find out how long it sticks around for.
Good idea... If you find gum next to 4A on G-VIIO - That has been there for a while.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Good idea... If you find gum next to 4A on G-VIIO - That has been there for a while.
I'll keep an eye out.

But probably lost its flavour by now .......
bhbloke likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Indeed, one of the factors that caused the Oslo engine incident was that BA had under-resourced the engineering team, causing the remaining staff to work longer and harder to the point they suffered from fatigue (and missed the fact they'd left an aircraft in an unsafe condition.
Exactly, some like to pounce on anyone who dares suggest cuts may have affected safety critical departments as well, but the evidence is out there that these departments are not considered sacred by the current management team. I wonder if those who defend their strategy are concerned at all by that?

The engine cowl incident as you mentioned which made the real world effects very clear, and also comments on here from people who have worked in engineering on the impacts of BAs strategy on their work.

There's a myth that often pops up on here, and it's quite sweet, about people flying BA because they feel safer with them than anyone else. If people feel reassured then that's good, but these days, it's not based on reality. Pilots in several other airlines around Europe are given rather more training in manual flight, and leeway to use it on the line as well. The engine cowl incident was also not pretty reading in that regard...I'm sure BA are good, but they are certainly not world leaders in this regard.
rossmacd and Knickam like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:22 pm

Twitter worked for me - weekly photo of same dirty floor - customer service director phoned me one evening.... spontaneously had 3 C.W. op ups in a row after that 😀
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Andrew Jarvis
Twitter worked for me - weekly photo of same dirty floor - customer service director phoned me one evening.... spontaneously had 3 C.W. op ups in a row after that 😀
Welcome to Flyertalk, welcome to the BA Forum Andrew Jarvis. Much as though I would like to think this was a recompense from BA, I'm fairly sure the upgrade sequence was more of a very nice coincidence. Welcome to the forum!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Indeed, one of the factors that caused the Oslo engine incident was that BA had under-resourced the engineering team, causing the remaining staff to work longer and harder to the point they suffered from fatigue (and missed the fact they'd left an aircraft in an unsafe condition.
There was no mention of human fatigue or under-resourcing in the AAIB report. Where might I find this information?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
There was no mention of human fatigue or under-resourcing in the AAIB report. Where might I find this information?
In the AAIB report!

Specifically the conclusion that says "the performance of both technicians may have been compromised by fatigue" and the safety recommendation recommending the "implementation of an effective fatigue risk management system".

https://assets.publishing.service.go...015_G-EUOE.pdf
Prospero likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk, welcome to the BA Forum Andrew Jarvis. Much as though I would like to think this was a recompense from BA, I'm fairly sure the upgrade sequence was more of a very nice coincidence. Welcome to the forum!
But we can still dream...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Can I help you
None.
I'm just going to point you to post #39 on this thread. So much for "none"...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:03 pm
Suspended

???

So you haven't read the report.

There is a whole section titled 'fatigue' and it's mentioned in the executive summary. Let's not try and sweep these things under the carpet. Some relevant quotes:

"Both technicians were working in compliance with the company’s working time policy. However, analysis of their working time records showed that there was an increased risk that their performance could be compromised by
fatigue. This was induced by the significant level of planned and overtime working that they had carried out prior to and including the shift in question. he opportunity for considerable levels of overtime working stemmed from a shortage of maintenance staff within the Terminal 5 line maintenance Operation."

​​​​
"The reliance on bi-annual human factors continuation training to provide shift planners with effective tools to manage fatigue within the operator’s maintenance staff appears to have been ineffective. The effect of fatigue accumulated across the normal shift pattern, and augmented by overtime working, was not
accounted for or measured in an objective way."

Last edited by nallison; Sep 25, 2017 at 4:54 pm Reason: for spelling
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by nallison
???

So you haven't read the report.
I read the report published by The Aviation Herald. I am now reading through the full report kindly linked up thread by simons1
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:58 pm
Suspended

I read the report published by The Aviation Herald. I am now reading through the full report kindly linked up thread by simons1
For future reference bear in mind the aviation herald is a news site, it has nothing to do with AAIB reports.

Don't be surprised if people respond robustly when you question the veracity of their contributions by making authoritative statements about the content of reports you haven't read.
whiskerxx likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by subject2load
I'll keep an eye out.

But probably lost its flavour by now .......
I don't know about floor vents, but the jury's still out on leaving it on the bedpost overnight.

Am I giving my age away? Back to the home......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.