Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Boarding pass issue and mobility assistance for final leg of a BA-BA-IB outward trip.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding pass issue and mobility assistance for final leg of a BA-BA-IB outward trip.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold

Apologies in advance for a plethora of questions ...

I've got a trip coming in the next week with the outbound journey as PEK-LHR(BA)/LHR-MAD(BA)/MAD-GRX(IB), all on one ticket/PNR (75 minutes transfer time at LHR, and 115 minutes at MAD).

As background, this is an Avios/GUF2/joker booking where it took four attempts before the IB leg finally "stuck" in the booking (thanks to BA6501 who noted that this would require an agent both to add the correct keyword and to re-issue the ticket to prevent the IB leg being auto-cancelled).

Given the trouble this booking caused, and as there are still some odd issues* I just want to check my options for checking-in for the IB flight and getting a boarding pass.

(* I can't open this booking using MMB as it just gives an error message, but when I call, BAEC say it looks good; the ticket number is there in MyFlights - but the listed route under the e-ticket number is incorrect; the IB website shows all the flights correctly, but the IB app shows the wrong booking class for the MAD-GRX leg...)

Q1. Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to get a boarding pass issued at the BA check-in desk in Beijing for all three legs? (I'll try also using the app - but as a related question as I've never done this before - the booking is for two people, so can one person download boarding passes for both people using the BA or IB apps?)

Q2. If there is some problem checking in for the IB leg, what is the best place at LHR to get this sorted? I'll have the LHR-MAD boarding passes so is it best to go to the lounge to ask about this rather than the rebooking desks?

Q3. In the worst case that I arrive in MAD (T4S) without being able to sort this out, where is the nearest connections desk?

I am sure I am being paranoid here and over-thinking things. But with the previous ticket issue problems, and the fact that the return flight is totally rammed (only non-zero availability showing as F1 J2 at the moment) I want to make sure that I know what to do in case of problems ...

(Mobility assistance question)
A somewhat separate question regarding mobility assistance for this trip. I'm currently nursing a grade 2 ankle sprain and although I can walk around, I can only do so s-l-o-w-l-y at the moment. I am happy to get myself through LHR as I know my way around, but am tempted to ask for some assistance for the MAD-GRX transfer (not least as I read that a T4S to T4 transfer can involve a very long walk).

Q4. Given this is a BA Avios booking, and I'll be arriving on BA then transferring to IB, is it possible to arrange this by calling BA(EC) and just asking for help with the MAD-GRX transfer - or it is better to do this by calling IB directly (again asking for assistance only for the MAD-GRX transer)?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Q* - this is a known fault at the moment on ba.com. The listed route on MyFlights often is strange, it normally is fine on the mobile app. What does the BA app say regarding ticket numbers on each segment?

Q1 - You should indeed get all BPs at PEK. All BPs can be downloaded to one phone on BA. The IB app will simply ask if you want to download or e-mail the Wallet boarding passes, you can then add them one by one into your Wallet. There are no mobile boarding passes from Beijing.

Q2 - if PEK can't issue your MAD-GRX boarding pass then try getting it by checking in online on the Iberia website or app. It might just say "your first flight is operated by another airline" and won't let you, though. You don't have too long at LHR, but if you want to try getting your MAD-GRX boarding pass there then head to the lounge (perhaps Guest Services is best) or to a flight connections desk, it doesn't matter.

Q3 - just before immigration and flight connections, as soon as you turn off the main walkway spanning the entire terminal. There's an IB desk on the right, connections to gates RSU on the left and immigration straight ahead. You'll need to clear immigration here, take the train, clear security then you'll be in the T4 departures area. Note the lounge in T4 will be closing end of Oct.

Q4 - you should get a wheelchair, it really is quite far, especially if your MAD-GRX is an Air Nostrum job. I wouldn't get it at LHR, they are severely understaffed/messy and I wouldn't risk a 75min connection with assistance. You can book it with either BA or IB, it doesn't matter, but perhaps best to double check with IB anyway. You should ask at the gate at LHR to confirm that you will receive assistance from disembarking in MAD to your next gate.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Q* - this is a known fault at the moment on ba.com. The listed route on MyFlights often is strange, it normally is fine on the mobile app. What does the BA app say regarding ticket numbers on each segment?
Many, many thanks for the the very detailed reply and suggestions. Good to know in advance in particular about the possibility of the IB app giving a your first flight is operated etc." error message. I had forgotten also that the BA app also shows ticket numbers - those all look fine (they are there for every leg of the journey, including the MAD-GRX leg).

Thankfully the MAD-GRX flight is the 22:00 flight - an Iberia service rather than Air Nostrum. I've booked some assistance anyway (through BA - confirmed by calling with IB) as after a long day of travelling I think I may still need it.

As it happens, on-line check-in is now open for the trip - and with unsatisfying irony I was able to check-in and download the boarding passes for the IB flight without problems, but still can't check-in for the BA flights...! I'll get on the phone later to double check about that - but could just be due to the need for a visa check for my partner.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to hear that things seem to be running smoothly so far - what's the BA error message? Quite strange that you can check-in for the IB flight (was this on ba.com?) but not for the ones before, as you normally have to check-in in sequence...

I'd like to stress my earlier point of making sure you will receive a wheelchair at the gate upon arrival in Madrid - they might see you board without one, and assume you don't need one. The crew, upon opening the door at destination, often inform/confirm with the ground staff the number of wheelchairs needed. The Sin Barreras service in Madrid is quite swift fortunately.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear that things seem to be running smoothly so far - what's the BA error message? Quite strange that you can check-in for the IB flight (was this on ba.com?) but not for the ones before, as you normally have to check-in in sequence...

I'd like to stress my earlier point of making sure you will receive a wheelchair at the gate upon arrival in Madrid - they might see you board without one, and assume you don't need one. The crew, upon opening the door at destination, often inform/confirm with the ground staff the number of wheelchairs needed. The Sin Barreras service in Madrid is quite swift fortunately.
I tried to check-in at T-24 (for the first PEK-LHR leg) on the BA app - and that came up with the message "Error - we are unable to display your booking. To check in and receive your boarding pass please proceed to the airport".

After that I tried the IB app - and it offered me the option to check-in for the MAD-GRX flight, so I did that - and was able to download boarding passes in PDF form and saved to the app.

I called the GGL line and they say that the booking looks fine with everything ticketed properly, and my seat reservations still in place - I guess I'll just plan on getting to PEK a little earlier than usual in case of problems.

Thanks about the reminder re: confirming wheelchair request at the boarding gate for LHR-MAD. I have a travel crutch that I will use to help get around at LHR, so hopefully that will help reinforce my request when I check at the gate about the pre-request for wheelchair assistance.

I'll update tomorrow - I hope from Andalucia ... !
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold

One workaround is to tell both the gate staff on crew that you still require a wheelchair at the destination
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That check-in issue is almost certainly due to your other issue of not being able to load your booking on ba.com. Doubt anything is wrong with your booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.