Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Northern lights lounge Aberdeen serious lapse in security today [CS issue]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northern lights lounge Aberdeen serious lapse in security today [CS issue]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Feran
hope she is dealt with severely as she had no idea what dangers that case could have contained.
Completely over the top and wanting someone to be dealt with 'severely' is rather unpleasant.

I've often left my luggage in lounges whilst going to the shops. I agree people need to be vigilant - but the luggage had been through security and the lounge person lady agreed to accept it. No different from leaving a bag by a seat in the lounge as many do whilst nipping out.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by THR
We keep having these discussions and seem to have come to a consensus but the OP has not returned.

Which is a shame.
The OP was, what, 2 hours ago. Not everyone sits glued to FT all day.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
For better or for worse, your husband must have come across as a bit of a nutcase to the lounge receptionist.

The bag had been screened, it was not his place to intervene as this had nothing to do with him. Probably the receptionist didn't want to keep the baggage not due to security but more due to liability if something went missing.

I would have agreed with the receptionist if that's what he or she thought.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:04 am

Security lapse ? Probably not. Against company policy ? Most likely. It sounds like the lounge staff member knew she had bended the rules and became defensive trying to shut the OP up and not getting into trouble.

If the OP is not aware of security procedures and airside etc.. then I would not blame them for highlighting this. In the current threat level it is the duty of the public to be alert and speak out if they notice something they believe is not allowed or suspicious.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:15 am

"Serious lapse in security?"

Surely not. The bag had been screened. Had the owner been up to something, he/she could have simply left it by a chair and headed to the WC, or left it alongside the coats in the cloakroom.

It is completely understandable, given recent events in London, that you folks are being hyper-vigilant. That's all to the good.

Simply telling the lounge attendant that you are concerned about security given those recent events and asking if she felt comfortable with the stranger leaving his carry-on would suffice.

Again, thanks for the "see something, say something." But again, remember, the item had been through screening.
Grog likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
...I hope your experience has spoiled your trip...
Erm, care to re-phrase that?
Ooops!

Thank you for bringing that to my attention -

Do accept my apologies, @Feran .Of course I meant to say I hope your experience has not spoiled your trip!
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I hope you're proud of yourself for trying to get an employee reprimanded for being kind and helpful to their customers

As you've already been told repeatedly, it's common for lounges to have left-luggage areas, so she wasn't doing anything unreasonable.

Also, a bag purposefully left by a named passenger is not the same as an 'unattended bag' is it...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, so there are cloakrooms at the LHR T5 BA lounges that will hold your bags when you are in the lounge or if you want to head out of the lounge to do some shopping. No screening is required as the bags have already been through security as you note.
It's the same in the Lufthansa lounges in DUS and MUC and I greatly appreciate this facility and make full use of it. Luckily in MUC the lockers are facing the desk and on one occasion the lady working there was able to see that I had left a small bag in the locker which had been shoved to the back. This facility doesn't exist in GVA or ZRH and I really miss it there.

Despite all this and fair's fair, I don't think that the OP's fears are totally unfounded, because bags left alone are generally a no no. With current events everybody is a bit edgy, which is understandable.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
As many other, I find difficult to consider this a serious security lapse.

I think what happened it's a sort of misunderstanding that got out of hand.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I too wouldn't have been overly bothered by the bag being left there, but it does annoy me when customer service staff use the "you're being abusive" line as a excuse to shut down otherwise civil conversations, so well done on raising the complaint.

This. Exactly.

And I never got a welcome lol

Do let us knwo what happens re your complaint
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
While I share the general opinion that this wasn't a security lapse I really don't think name-calling and use of derogatory terms such as "nutcase" does anyone any credit here.

If I was the OP and this was my welcome I doubt I'd be back for seconds.
710 77345, Stez and amanx like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
While I share the general opinion that this wasn't a security lapse I really don't think name-calling and use of derogatory terms such as "nutcase" does anyone any credit here.

If I was the OP and this was my welcome I doubt I'd be back for seconds.
Given the OP joined FT in 2013 and this was their first post, I'd be surprised if they returned no matter what the response - the post reads as a vent rather than a request for opinions.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Feran
Whilst waiting for BA1307 Club Europe flight to London today we had the opportunity to visit this lounge.
At one point a gentleman asked the attendant at reception desk if it would be OK for him to leave his cabin suitcase there whilst he went to the shops. The attendant said he wasn't really supposed to do that but she agreed to allow him to leave it anyway.

As he left my husband approached her and said he was not happy that the suitcase was being left in a public area unattended to which she replied she didn't like his tone and he was being abusive! He reiterated that the luggage should not be left and she continued to say she shouldn't be spoken to like that. I and many others witnessed this exchange and I said he wasn't abusive. We decided we would leave as we felt uncomfortable sitting near an unattended case. On leaving I said to her I was sorry if she thought my husband was abusive but he wasn't and the case shouldn't be there. I advised her in my opinion she was not doing her job properly and as I left she shouted after me that we wouldn't be allowed back!
We filed an official complaint and hope she is dealt with severely as she had no idea what dangers that case could have contained.
Sounds like you went a bit over the top with your complaining, and sounds like the matron went a bit over the top in the way she responded.

The piece of luggage has been screened. Definitely not a security issue as the agent knows who the case belongs to (as he's checked into the lounge)

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 19, 2017 at 10:26 am Reason: Fix quote
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by Foltan
I hope you're proud of yourself for trying to get an employee reprimanded for being kind and helpful to their customers

As you've already been told repeatedly, it's common for lounges to have left-luggage areas, so she wasn't doing anything unreasonable.

Also, a bag purposefully left by a named passenger is not the same as an 'unattended bag' is it...
And I hope you are proud of not listening to the moderator, and being rude to a new poster.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
In summary, a member of ground staff helped someone out by bending the rules at negligible risk, and is now at risk of disciplinary action and possible job loss because someone else got their nose out of joint.

I know where my sympathies lie here. If ground staff sticking their neck out just a little to help passengers discover it gets them chucked into vats of hot oil, there goes any kind of discretionary assistance.

Hopefully expressing my view here won't get me fired from the group
Grog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.