Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dropping a leg (the first leg) of a connecting flight from MAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld

It is possible book and fly LAX-LHR-MAN as round trip, but drop the first leg of the return and pick up the flight at LHR-LAX. I guess the answer will be no but could it not be argued that a person was stuck in Birmingham (or wherever) on the morning of the flight and it was quicker and easier to take a cab straight to LHR rather than risk a run to MAN? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if you no show for the man-lhr then you lhr-lax will be automatically cancelled
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you don't take any leg, then don't bother showing up for later segments - they will have been cancelled!

if you really can't make the first flight of the return leg, you need to get on the phone to the ticketing agent and make the necessary changes to the ticket, or you risk losing the entirety of the return. Or just book it as an open-jaw (LAX-LHR-MAN, LHR-LAX) to start with.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld
So, even though (through some mishap on your tour) you are geographically closer to LHR on the day of the flight and could easily mitigate the entire loss by getting to LHR on time, you are still obliged to get to MAN and take that flight. Okay, that's clear, thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It certainly can't happen automatically, but I would think in a case like this, since you aren't missing the last leg, you're pretty clearly not doing hidden city, an agent MIGHT be able to accommodate the situation if you get on the phone before it happens.

There's certainly no guarantees and it might incur some change fees so definitely not something to bet on. If you have status it would probably help.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Wasn't there a case recently where someone successfully sued the airline for cancelling the return leg of a flight when they missed the outbound. Not suggesting the Ops risk it but was wondering if that had triggered any changes within the airline industry.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
Wasn't there a case recently where someone successfully sued the airline for cancelling the return leg of a flight when they missed the outbound. Not suggesting the Ops risk it but was wondering if that had triggered any changes within the airline industry.
my understanding of that case was that the cost of the total of two single tickets was the same as a return ticket unlike a long haul where the return ticket is actually cheaper than two singles (often cheaper than one single!)
OP - you can book an open jaw for this, LAX-LHR-MAN on the outbound and LHR-LAX for the return. I would suspect that if you missed the MAN-LHR flight due to being stuck somewhere you would be relying on travel insurance to pick up change fees or potentially the cost of a new one-way ticket...whether that would be covered would depend on the policy
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
That was different - it was about where they cancelled the whole inbound of a two-way booking. The OP is talking about cancelling the first leg of a connecting journey, which fundamentally changes the routing.

In any event that case has not changed BA practice.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
So, even though (through some mishap on your tour) you are geographically closer to LHR on the day of the flight and could easily mitigate the entire loss by getting to LHR on time, you are still obliged to get to MAN and take that flight.
If you have had a genuine mishap on a tour, BA may be willing to help you.

If you simply can't be bothered to fly the whole of the itinerary that you've booked, BA is likely to apply a bright-line rule that's pretty standard across the industry, one of whose primary purposes is revenue protection. You can understand why the airline might normally want to stick to such a rule.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Or if you are on a fully flex ticket you can do that most probably.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unless BA is fully at fault, the remaining sectors will be cancelled and you can't count of them being reinstated. I had a flight a few years ago from NCL to New Zealand, there was fog on the Tyne, all NCL services cancelled. I took the train instead, got to LHR well before my HKG flight was due to depart (2 hours? maybe more) and yet it was touch and go as to whether BA could reinstate the HKG service in time for my departure, and each remaining sector required considerable effort to get reinstated. All seat reservations lost along the way.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: not a lot
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:03 am

Back in July I had a KUL SIN LHR booked in CW, MH to SIN and BA to LHR, it so happened that I had to get back to SIN the day before my flight was booked for so I booked a separate flight and got back to SIN a day early, then I showed up for my original flight SIN to LHR and had no problem checking in, wasn't even questioned?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
So, even though (through some mishap on your tour) you are geographically closer to LHR on the day of the flight and could easily mitigate the entire loss by getting to LHR on time, you are still obliged to get to MAN and take that flight. Okay, that's clear, thanks.
That's where you've bought the flight from, so yes. It'd count as a no-show otherwise. Unless you can contact BA and make a change - but this will likely cost you more money than getting a train to MAN.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by subsea
Back in July I had a KUL SIN LHR booked in CW, MH to SIN and BA to LHR, it so happened that I had to get back to SIN the day before my flight was booked for so I booked a separate flight and got back to SIN a day early, then I showed up for my original flight SIN to LHR and had no problem checking in, wasn't even questioned?
Then you got lucky, perhaps because there were two different airlines involved and a no-show message hadn't got from MH to BA to auto-cancel your BA sector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.