Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS-LHR BA plane engine problem 12/9/17

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
AMS-LHR BA plane engine problem 12/9/17

Seems a BA flight from AMS to LHR yesterday had an engine on fire and they had to return to AMS and land with one engine. Sounds like another good example of the professionalism and skill of BA crew. Well done all involved.
Sylv59 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:40 am

Is there a source for this info? Nothing on the usual sites.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Petrus
From a friend on the flight. Sorry I don't have the flight number. Sparks were seen coming from the right engine shourtly after take off. The plane did have a bird strike on the incoming flight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA, KL
i did mention this in the existing tread regarding the ORD-LHR engine issue.

it appeared on a local Amsterdam news site (dutch only) : http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/173011/v...en-enorme-knal

the incoming flight had experienced a bird strike, and the return to LHR was delayed by 4 hours according to the article. after take off the right hand engine experienced the issue as shown in the video in the article.
the lady that posted the video had nothing but praise for the flight crew after a safe return to AMS, but no praise for all pax left to figure out their own hotels for the night and claim with BA afterwards.
said passenger mentions that the other passengers started using #BA433 on twitter to group their complaints, but that's probably for a more savvy member here to post
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Some unhappy folk out there: https://twitter.com/hashtag/BA433?src=hash
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Flightradar24 shows the departure, some pootling around (sorting out the situation and preparing to land, I'm sure) and return to AMS about an hour later.

I'm frankly not surprised the ground handling at AMS failed these customers. Most of my (non-KLM) handling experiences at Amsterdam have been between average and poor (BA and Easy). Menzies, who handle Easyjet, are particularly incompetent and lackadaisical. I'm not sure who handles BA at AMS - anyone know?

Improving the ground handling during problems, in many of its locations, would be an effective way for BA to improve its reputation and quality.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:33 pm

Improving the ground handling during problems, in many of its locations, would be an effective way for BA to improve its reputation and quality.
Unfortunately, BA have opted for the cheapest possible cost approach when it come to outsourced handling. There's very little value in the contract to the Handling agents to provide extra staff coverage during irrops.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Petrus
http://thebasource.com/british-airwa...hnical-return/
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:22 pm

I had an uncle on this flight - the BA Source write-up differs from what he told me and the write up on AVHerald - http://avherald.com/h?article=4ae4c256&opt=0

The bird strike happened on the in-bound and caused a sizeable delay - but then was cleared to make the return trip with the engine going pop just after take-off. He said it was somewhat exciting and that understandably some passengers were pretty traumatised by the whole thing - not helped by BA's woeful support when they got back into the airport. Also, and I'm aware hindsight is a great thing, they all had questions as to how the plane had been cleared to fly post-bird strike when the engine wasn't actually ok.

Not BA's finest hour.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Winchy78
I had an uncle on this flight - the BA Source write-up differs from what he told me and the write up on AVHerald - http://avherald.com/h?article=4ae4c256&opt=0

The bird strike happened on the in-bound and caused a sizeable delay - but then was cleared to make the return trip with the engine going pop just after take-off. He said it was somewhat exciting and that understandably some passengers were pretty traumatised by the whole thing - not helped by BA's woeful support when they got back into the airport. Also, and I'm aware hindsight is a great thing, they all had questions as to how the plane had been cleared to fly post-bird strike when the engine wasn't actually ok.

Not BA's finest hour.
What evidence do you have to support such a wild accusation?How do you know the engine was not ok,and either developed a new fault or perhaps had another bird strike?

Your statement is rather insulting to the professional engineers who work hard keeping the aircraft serviceable.I certainly would not question their integrity in this manner.
Tobias-UK and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Video showing sparks coming from the engine (don't mind the overly dramatic text)
http://bit.ly/2xzltZJ
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by wythy
Unfortunately, BA have opted for the cheapest possible cost approach when it come to outsourced handling. There's very little value in the contract to the Handling agents to provide extra staff coverage during irrops.
Of course not; and then many of the handling staff at AMS barely do the usual job of routine dispatch. The time one of them marked a passenger as offloaded then gave his boarding pass back to him and allowed him to board is particularly memorable. AMS airport itself is also unhelpful, it barely has any staff for help or inquiries during the day and it's deserted at night (past 22:00). So even a question like "Where are BA's handling agent so I can ask them to fulfil their duty of care?" goes unanswered late at night.

I feel that the aggrieved passengers should contact their consumer protection regulator, that's the only pressure BA would understand (and I have minimal faith in the UK CAA in this respect).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
What evidence do you have to support such a wild accusation?How do you know the engine was not ok,and either developed a new fault or perhaps had another bird strike?

Your statement is rather insulting to the professional engineers who work hard keeping the aircraft serviceable.I certainly would not question their integrity in this manner.
Occam's razor - bird hits engine, engine "fixed", engine then immediately fails when next used. I'm completely open that this may be an incorrect conclusion - but based on the currently available facts this appears how it played out.

That aside BA's ground handling on this was a joke.
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Winchy78
Occam's razor - bird hits engine, engine "fixed", engine then immediately fails when next used. I'm completely open that this may be an incorrect conclusion - but based on the currently available facts this appears how it played out.

That aside BA's ground handling on this was a joke.
The ground handling I accept,however you have no evidence to suggest a link between these two events.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
The ground handling I accept,however you have no evidence to suggest a link between these two events.
Plane was A321 so probably CFM56, which is a highly reliable engine (V2500 isn't bad either though), as a regular flier I'll sleep much more soundly thinking that ground crew didn't have ability to do a full strip on an engine post bird-strike therefore declared the engine safe to the best of their ability, vs the possibility that the engine spontaneously failed. Quite possible that the engine was fine post bird strike and some tooling was left in post inspection (if it was a 4 hr job they'd have had all the kit out!), obviouly will be investigated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.