Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flights to Houston [Austin and New Orleans: Disruption from Storm Harvey, Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Houston [Austin and New Orleans: Disruption from Storm Harvey, Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec

Afternoon All.

Meant to be flying to Houston this weekend coming.

Official BA line is that anything between now and 31st is changeable but anything after that is not. Fair I guess for just now. May change over next few days.

Forecast is more and more rain between now and Friday and infrastructure wise the place looks to be a bit of a shambles, not set up for a productive week's work (my office incidentally closed until Weds / Thurs at earliest).

Am aware BA has a legal liability point to point but would they insist on no refund / change if by weekend place was still a mess but airport was open?

I think I know the answer but thought I would check!!!

Thanks all
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bmm1977
Am aware BA has a legal liability point to point but would they insist on no refund / change if by weekend place was still a mess but airport was open?
The usual cut off is where the flight is going to be more than 5 hours late. If so you can get a full refund even if the flight is not cancelled. If effectively this is more of a consequential loss (so the IAH service works but nothing else in Houston does), then that's one for insurance. This is going to be a wait and see situation so it's difficult to call. It does seem that they are in for a week of disruption, there again I'm often amazed at the ability of the USA to deal with huge problems swiftly and efficiently, once the resources are in place.

One thing to bear in mind is that crew needs to be able to get to and from their less-than-palatial hotel in Houston safely and in a timely manner.
Bmm1977 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:14 am

I wonder if BA have had a crew or two in Houston riding this one out (or perhaps they shuttled them up to DFW or elsewhere before the storm hit). What a mess.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Most of the US airlines are just now updating their waivers to include the weekend, so I would keep watch for BA to make a change. IAH is scheduled to be closed through at least Thursday morning per an update from the FAA's website this morning.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I am not an expert but I would be surprised to see IAH reopen that soon. Many roads are under water after all, with more rain forecast. Opening an airport is one thing, but employees will need to be able to travel to the airport in the first place.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the record, the current advisory circulated by BA is:

Originally Posted by BA Travel Advisory
Due to Tropical Weather Harvey, the following flexibility options have been made available to our ticketed customers whose travel may be impacted:

Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, AA, IB or AY flight is still OPERATING.

Rebook onto..
BA, AA, IB or AY Joint Business

Airports affected
AUS – AUSTIN
HOU/IAH – HOUSTON
MSY – NEW ORLEANS
BPT - BEAUMONT PORT AUTHUR
BRO - BROWNSVILLE
CLL - COLLEGE STATION
CRP - CORPUS CHRISTI
LCH - LAKE CHARLES
MFE - MCALLEN MISSION
SAT - SAN ANTONIO
LRD - LAREDO
LFT – LAFAYETTE
SHV – SHREVEPORT
AEX – ALEXANDRIA
BTR – BATON ROUGE

Tickets issued by
23 August 2017

Ticket travel dates
25 August 2017 – 31 August 2017

New travel dates - Up to and including 13 September 2017

Rebooking Allowance
Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin
Origin/Destination/Stopover changes
No
Available for Trade
Yes
Refunds Allowed
No
Redemptions included
Yes
Important Info: one involuntary ticket change allowed
So if the flight is cancelled you can get a refund or a rebooking. If the flight is 5 hours late, you can cancel. Otherwise no refund if the flight is operating, however for flights until and including Thursday 31 August can be moved to other dates.

I'm expecting this to change to change on a daily basis.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:56 am

Forget it. The rain and flooding will continue through the weekend (maybe beyond). What are you planning to do there if they re-open IAH and Hobby to commercial traffic? It's going to be difficult getting around for some time, and the hotels are already filling up with evacuees.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I wonder if BA have had a crew or two in Houston riding this one out (or perhaps they shuttled them up to DFW or elsewhere before the storm hit). What a mess.
At least one of the flights to IAH this past weekend was cancelled well in advance due to the strikes, so fingers crossed there isn't a crew stuck there.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Called BA and yes they said the same.

Updating on a daily basis. Made the point that infrastructure probably wasn't the best and could people go back and forth, essentially said that as long as they can deliver passengers what happens after that isn't their responsibility, which I guess is fair.

So will wait and see what next few days bring.

Last one was cancelled due to strikes and one before that was in the end of May IT shambles so not much luck on this route!!!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Glad I had a meeting in IAH called off a month ago...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
I see that flight aware mentions the airport is closed until 12pm this Thursday. I agree, that probably wont happen.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Probably repeating what you've already heard/seen, but it's a real mess here, and floodwaters probably won't peak until the end of the week. Can't believe any businesses will function close to normal by weekend. Imagine 30" of rain falling across the whole city area, and on terrain that's as hilly as East Anglia. I've got a trip back to UK in 2 weeks, hoping I can cancel, as I know there's no way will I be able to travel.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:45 am

This was probably inevitable. This is known as Update 7, issued at 19:31 GMT on 28 August 2017 and now allowing flight changes for a much longer period. If you have a flight until 7 September it can be moved up to 20 September.

Originally Posted by BA Travel Advisory
Due to Tropical Weather Harvey, the following flexibility options have been made available to our ticketed customers whose travel may be impacted:

Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, AA, IB or AY flight is still OPERATING.

Rebook onto..
BA, AA, IB or AY Joint Business

Airports affected
AUS – AUSTIN
HOU/IAH – HOUSTON
MSY – NEW ORLEANS

BPT - BEAUMONT PORT AUTHUR
BRO - BROWNSVILLE
CLL - COLLEGE STATION
CRP - CORPUS CHRISTI
LCH - LAKE CHARLES
MFE - MCALLEN MISSION
SAT - SAN ANTONIO
LRD - LAREDO
LFT – LAFAYETTE
SHV – SHREVEPORT
AEX – ALEXANDRIA
BTR – BATON ROUGE

Tickets issued by:
28 August 2017
Ticket travel dates:
28 August 2017 – 07 September 2017
New travel dates:
Up to and including 20 September 2017

Rebooking Allowance
Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin
Origin/Destination/Stopover changes
No
Refunds Allowed
No
Redemptions included
Yes
Available for Trade
Yes
Important Info
one involuntary ticket change allowed
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Many thanks and yes just spoke to BA and can rearrange between now and April 2018. Or, as booked with a car (technically a holiday booking) can change to go anywhere else in the world I want, not specifically Houston.

But most likely should keep the booking and defer for a few weeks.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I too am in a quandary!

Due to fly to MSY on Saturday and now wondering whether to move out by a couple of weeks, our itinerary is very flexible so it's no great shakes to move everything.

On reflection, probably best to delay by 2 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.