Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Getting to PDX - would you consider San Francisco as gateway?

Getting to PDX - would you consider San Francisco as gateway?

Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Portland is a very interesting town...
It also has a place of pilgrimage for bibliophiles (and perhaps biblioholics): Powell's Books (the large store at the edge of the downtown area).
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Originally Posted by AC*SE
YVR is another option. A380 in the summer, arrive around 7pm well outside prime hours for Canadian immigration and customs. Excellent airport hotel (Fairmont YVR).

Flights to PDX operate on small aircraft with US preclearance.
I've flown PDX to YVR on the Horizon dba Alaska Dash 8, it was enormous fun especially the aborted takeoff, I would thoroughly recommend the YVR connection. Immigration into Canada and into the US will both take place in Vancouver. Just allow enough time for this - or a couple of days and do it properly, Vancouver is a wonderful city.

If paying your own way to Portland, Alaska flights offer Avios but no tier points, this applies also when booked on an AA code
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
If paying your own way to Portland, Alaska flights offer Avios but no tier points, this applies also when booked on an AA code
The "no tier points" applies; sadly the avios earning part doesn't.

It's worth mentioning that Alaska offers lounge access to its first class passengers, unlike other US-based airlines.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Originally Posted by Cymro
The "no tier points" applies; sadly the avios earning part doesn't.

It's worth mentioning that Alaska offers lounge access to its first class passengers, unlike other US-based airlines.
No, it's not a great rate but you should earn - it took a long time to credit when I flew it, but needed no intervention (faxing BPs etc)

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ing-avios.html with no tier bonuses
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:07 am

Train runs notoriously late and costs more than flying.

Seattle to PDX train connection works but SFO north should be avoided. Look to Alaska airlines fo connections along the West Coast.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
SFO can be a cluster when the weather goes grey (and surprise, surprise, that happens a fair amount of the time). First flights on the chopping block are the west coast commuters , think SFO <---> PDX, for instance. I live in PDX and fly to SFO at least once a month and I've grown to really hate connecting through SFO. I'd leave a minimum connection time of 4 hours through SFO. In all honesty, the best route I have found is either YVR or at a push SEA. It all depends on which airline alliance you favor. For me it's Star so AC into YVR and plenty of Q400's from YVR to PDX would be my preference. If coming from Europe ORD, IAD and EWR (Eww, I know, but sometimes it just works out that way) are all better options than SFO, IMHO.

Oh and forgot to add, there is a direct LHR-PDX on Delta that started in May....
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
LGW to OAK, stay at one of the very inexpensive nearby airport hotels (e.g. Courtyard Marriott), then Southwest on up to PDX. Advantage is zero delays at OAK while big delays at SFO in the summer (fog), less expensive hotel options and the LGW OAK flight is running way under capacity so increased chance of empty seat next to you.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by pt flyer
Seattle to PDX train connection works but SFO north should be avoided. Look to Alaska airlines fo connections along the West Coast.
Well, as for price, it's $35 economy from Seattle to PDX, but I can sort of see your point about trains being same price as flying if you are booking next week, but the same applies for flying...

A couple of weeks time, for two people SJC to PDX, it's $120 per person economy, and a cabin comes in $280 per person (though remember you'll might well get three meals included).

However, stretch that to November, for instance, and same trip is $152pp economy and $180 pp for a cabin.

As for lateness, I thought that the West/East train was more prone to that (due to rockies and freight trains blocking the way), having see my Reno to Emeryville train run 8 hours late (got a bus in the end). However, I suppose it's an accusation which is true:

Last months train delay into PDX, heading north

Shows that there was a 7 hour delay one day, a lot of 2-3 hours, and a lot of sub hour delays, with only a few days kind of on time. I suppose I'm ok with most of that (clearly the 7 hour one, no), because its on a train, and chilling out. I'd not be happy with a plane version of that.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by babaghanoush85
If you want to explore San Francisco, SFO is about a 15min drive from the city.
Is the question, things that have never happened?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.