Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US citizen not able to check in waiting approval from the US government?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Checking in to my flight tomorrow on BA and I see this message.
Anyone seen this before?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Obvious question aside, valid ESTA?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by GuyWMD
Americans need an ESTA now to travel to their own country?
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by GuyWMD
OP is a US citizen!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do not fly list?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
US citizen but also travelling on a US passport? Possibly obvious I know!

Alternatively, it could be a bug - I wouldn't assume that the error message has any bearing on reality.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by DreamTrip
Checking in to my flight tomorrow on BA and I see this message.
Anyone seen this before?
  1. Is your APIS data entered correctly in your booking (you haven't accidentally chosen the wrong nationality? or entered your passport expiry or date of birth in MM-DD-YYYY instead of DD-MM-YYYY (or vice versa)? - if this is incorrect I wonder if it trips something in the computer that says "passport data doesn't match".
  2. Computer glitch?
  3. Can you call and check in by phone? (IDK if that's even possible any more)
  4. All else being OK, it sounds like it's the old, "turn up at the airport in plenty of time to get it sorted". Sorry.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I wouldn't worry too much.

BA sends the DHS a list of passengers on its USA services at 24 hours (it actually can start sooner), with regular updates up to departure time. A handshake comes back and all is well. For all sorts of reasons this process sometimes falls over, either for everyone or some categories or just one individual. Overwhelmingly it's just an IT glitch. I wouldn't worry too much, particularly if you are a USA citizen in good standing. I'd try again in a few hours, then perhaps call up BA (the contact centre may have had a news alert saying the interface is broke, for example), then if all else fails go to the airport an hour earlier than you normally would with your USA passport.

However if you were a non citizen, this is indeed the first indication that something is badly wrong. You can have an ESTA and still not be allowed in, all BA can do is suggest you contact the US consulate.
trooper and Earthman like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 21, 2017 at 10:32 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did BA say when you called to ask why, as a USN?

It could be a glitch, you may have entered erroneous information resulting in a mis-match, or you may have been randomly selected for further screening, or it may not be random.

Nobody here can help beyond that, but BA might as to the "glitch" option.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I wouldn't worry too much.

BA sends the DHS a list of passengers on its USA services at 24 hours (it actually can start sooner), with regular updates up to departure time. A handshake comes back and all is well. For all sorts of reasons this process sometimes falls over, either for everyone or some categories or just one individual. Overwhelmingly it's just an IT glitch. I wouldn't worry too much, particularly if you are a USA citizen in good standing. I'd try again in a few hours, then perhaps call up BA (the contact centre may have had a news alert saying the interface is broke, for example), then if all else fails go to the airport an hour earlier than you normally would with your USA passport.

However if you were a non citizen, this is indeed the first indication that something is badly wrong. You can have an ESTA and still not be allowed in, all BA can do is suggest you contact the US consulate.
Well, even as a citizen in *bad* standing, they'd have to let you in, wouldn't they? I mean they may arrest you at the airport..but they'd have to let you enter your own country..
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Well, even as a citizen in *bad* standing, they'd have to let you in, wouldn't they? I mean they may arrest you at the airport..but they'd have to let you enter your own country..
The US Citizen has to get to the US border to present themselves for entry. The US authorities don't have to let the passenger onto the aircraft (hence the mention of "no fly list" above).
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
DreamTrip - notwithstanding the fact that your initials are DT, have you done something to upset Donald?
JLoonam likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:57 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
So who takes Care of the OP if their own Country won't have them?

Seems you dont even have to bother building a Wall
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UncleDude
So who takes Care of the OP if their own Country won't have them?

Seems you dont even have to bother building a Wall
At least with the US someone can fly to Canada or Mexico and cross by land. There have been cases of citizens of other countries where they haven't been so lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.