Wiki Posts
Search

Exit seat protocols BA2556 19th August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
post 7 by peter01 would seem to differ with your interpretation. I'd be grateful if someone not sat on the rear deck of the Blue Star Paros could confirm or deny the regs
See here for a very experienced BA CC comment on a previous thread which shows it is only for take off and landing where the person in an exit row needs to meet the criteria

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28147836-post8.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:32 am

I am somewhat alarmed at our experience flying from LGW on Saturday. We had reserved 12d and f the front emergency exit seats. At the gate before our priority boarding we noticed an extremely obese gentleman on a mobility scooter being preboarded.

From BA's site:
You must be a non-disabled adult in full fitness and able to understand printed and verbal instructions given in English.

You must be willing and able to assist in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation.

You will be asked to confirm you meet the CAA safety requirements before you can reserve an exit row seat."

What am I not understanding here? BA's site states that you need to be non-disabled.

Last edited by Jane42; Aug 21, 2017 at 7:33 am Reason: add
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
The over wing exit seats on the lgw BA A320 are normal seats with regular armrests and table on seat back in front
Apologies I missed the A320 bit my comment is mainly on LongHaul Aircraft or Row 1 of the A320

Originally Posted by Thomathy
I really, really hope there is some alternative meaning for the abbreviation 'POS' that I am unaware of.
Apologies Person Of Size and not Piece of .... although I have been referred to the latter a few times haha
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I admit to being controversial here, but a person of size is a danger to themselves as well as other passengers in the event of an evacuation. Even when not sat at an exit row, being sat in an aisle seat might prevent other passengers in that row from exiting the aircraft swiftly as well as themselves. And I say this as someone who has (had) size issues themselves.

Now, I appreciate there is no politically correct answer to this, but it is a problem which is getting more prevalent in society today. I do believe that airlines should be set limits on minimum seat width and minimum leg space to force humane treatment of passengers. Airlines will never self-regulate these issues.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think pax seated at emergency exits must be capable of assisting during take-off and landing. During flight they can sit there. Also interested to hear a crew member's view on this.
Correct.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I admit to being controversial here, but a person of size is a danger to themselves as well as other passengers in the event of an evacuation. Even when not sat at an exit row, being sat in an aisle seat might prevent other passengers in that row from exiting the aircraft swiftly as well as themselves. And I say this as someone who has (had) size issues themselves.

Now, I appreciate there is no politically correct answer to this, but it is a problem which is getting more prevalent in society today. I do believe that airlines should be set limits on minimum seat width and minimum leg space to force humane treatment of passengers. Airlines will never self-regulate these issues.
This is something that I could see a lawsuit / end up a political nightmare that the Daily Mail would love so I agree would never get done.

I as someone who was very heavy agree that it isn't fair to pay for a seat and have someone else splling out into yours. I always travelled with my wife and she always sat in the middle seat to prevent this but I agree with you.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:51 am

Apologies Person Of Size and not Piece of .... although I have been referred to the latter a few times haha
My first reaction to "POS" was "point of sale", which didn't seem to fit the context at all ...

We all have a size, whether it be large, medium of minuscule, so can we refrain from using two levels of ambiguity in an attempt to avoid hurting the feelings of those who are ashamed of their own obesity.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My understanding, confirmed by CIHY, is that the restrictions on the exit row seats apply purely for taxi, take off and landing. During the cruise children, adults of all shapes and sizes can use these seats, on the basis that if there was an emergency at that height there would normally be 10 or 15 minutes - and usually a lot more - before any sort of landing could be be made. This is why there isn't a detailed explanation of the Brace position in the safety video (e.g. about weak and strong hands) since if there was a problem the view is that cabin crew would have the time to explain this more clearly.

Very, very occasionally I've seen people be moved into exit row seats pro-actively by cabin crew: one factor to bear in mind is that it sometimes allows larger people. or those with mobility issues, to get to the aisle and thereby to the WC in a way that other seats cannot facilitate. I wouldn't say this happens that frequently.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:19 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

I've actually moved from a row 5 window seat (CE) to row 28 (A321 ET), following a discussion with the BA ground staff where it was suggested that I would not be able to get off the aircraft quickly in the event of an emergency due to the disabled passenger sat in the aisle seat.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
So if I can summarise the facts as I see them?
The BA and CAA websites advise that emergency exit seats should only be occupied by able bodied passengers for the full duration of the flight yet the actual CAA regulation and BA sop doesn't?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The BA and CAA websites advise that emergency exit seats should only be occupied by able bodied passengers for the full duration of the flight yet the actual CAA regulation and BA sop doesn't?
No, the CAA and BA rules say the exit rows need to be occupied by passengers fitting the criteria during take-off and landing only. At other points in the flight anyone can sit there.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Different audiences. The CAA public website is intended as information for passengers. Ordinarily, a passenger selecting an exit row is doing so for the duration of the flight, including taxi, takeoff and landing. So the website is phrased in those terms... to exclude ineligible pax from selecting those seats.

It would be impractical for passengers to reserve exit rows only for the actual cruise phase of flight, but sit elsewhere for critical stages. Alternatively, in many cases, flights might be full and it's not possible for pax to move around, so the seat selected during check-in must be the one occupied for the entire flight. Ineligible pax are therefore excluded from selecting exit rows.

Operating procedures, and regulations affecting operations are phrased for airlines and crew. Those may permit the movement of pax around the cabin, including to exit rows during non-critical phases of flight. But they are designed as guidance for crew, not passengers, in the context of managing the flight.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
It took 3 posts before someone does not address the point of the OP but posts personal attacks and judgment. This forum is really becoming unfriendlier.
I think that applies to the original poster and his Obesity comments "Cannot see round"
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by AlanA
I think that applies to the original poster and his Obesity comments "Cannot see round"
that was an attempt to introduce a little humour, I could equally have asked who ate all the pies from the Buy On Board😀
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
that was an attempt to introduce a little humour, I could equally have asked who ate all the pies from the Buy On Board😀
Nobody. None were loaded
pheonix254 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.