Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit seat protocols BA2556 19th August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
If you are referring to Kgmm77's post then I think that there was simply a smiley missing. I certainly interpreted his remark as tongue-in-cheek rather than being nasty to the OP. May I suggest that a little humour might go a long way on this board.
agreed. I'll edit for clarity!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
exactly , neither of us like the middle seat, to be clear if it's empty then good if not so be it it's not a problem at all. The issue is whether or not a passenger who is not able bodied should be seated in an emergency exit seat for any part of a flight
Surely it goes beyond whether a person is able bodied or not? What about weight and balance?

Plenty of times I've been on an aircraft where rows, including multiple front rows and/or some emergency exits have had to be empty for takeoff and landing. But pax have been free to move to those seats to spread out during flight.

What if the able bodied person can't get back to their seat for landing in those situations?

Programs: BAEC - Silver
hypothetical example might help? What if the cabin suffered a depressurisation?
Rapid decompression would lead to a rapid descent to 10000' (or MSA), but then rate of descent would reduce from then on, and descent while quicker than normal below 10000' would have to allow time for pre landing configuration checklists/fuel dumping etc. With regard to CAA rules, CAP 789 only requires able bodied persons to be sat in exit rows during taxi, take off and landing phases.

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by KARFA
What I think is irrelevant. I was merely noting that in your example that the emergency decent part for a depressurisation is only down to 10,000ft so everyone can breath normally without a mask, and that there would be plenty of time to brief the CC and secure the cabin between reaching that altitude and eventually landing.

Perhaps if you are really concerned you should write to the CAA & BA?
That is just one example. There are better things for CC who are there primarily for your safety to be doing than helping someone move from exit row seat to another seat, it's adding complexity where none need exist in the first place.
Jane42 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LiviLion
That is just one example. There are better things for CC who are there primarily for your safety to be doing than helping someone move from exit row seat to another seat, it's adding complexity where none need exist in the first place.
Rather than hypothesising, name an example of where this has ever been a problem please?

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
I think this is true of all BA A320s and not just the LGW based ones. They all have the normal tray table in the back of the seat directly in front. One thing you may notice is that there is a small stop which prevents the tray table release being knocked if there was an evacuation.

For aircraft with two consecutive rows of emergency exit seats I think the forward row will not have any recline.
I once sat in an exit row seat on a Vueling A320 which had a tray table in the armrest AND a tray table on the back of the seat in front, which was rather odd.
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
So where do you draw the line? No alcohol at any time for pax in emergency exits because they could be impaired if there was a sudden emergency? No cabin bags allowed out during the entire flight, by any pax, anywhere, because of a sudden emergency? No visits to the WC?

There are odds and probabilities. Take off and landing are where things have the greatest chance of going wrong. I think we could probably count on one hand the number of emergencies in flight which would be so severe as to not be able to prepare the cabin at some stage before landing?
I would draw the line at the CAA regulations and BA's conformance with them both in their instructions to cabin crew and in them following their own procedures in practice
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
As someone who was a POS for a large number of years and now thankfully not
I really, really hope there is some alternative meaning for the abbreviation 'POS' that I am unaware of.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:47 am

I would draw the line at the CAA regulations and BA's conformance with them both in their instructions to cabin crew and in them following their own procedures in practice
I can't speak for BA procedures, but the cabin crew actions you described seem to comply absolutely with CAA CAP789...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Thomathy
I really, really hope there is some alternative meaning for the abbreviation 'POS' that I am unaware of.
I used to read it as Piece of .... but in here it means Person of Size
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:51 am

Rather than hypothesising, name an example of where this has ever been a problem please?
Why should I - it's all about prevention rather than detection. Would you rather see an episode of Air Crash Investigation where people died because the exit row was blocked by a person who should not have been there and the recommendation was to not let people in the exit rows who shouldn't be there.

Or would you rather people are not in these seats in the first place so safe exit can be made when required. I know exit row exits have been used in the past, I've not heard any stories to suggest POS were in the seats so all good then - carry on like this.

Like it's always stated on program like this - it's never usually a single point of failure that causes the problem but a combination of events. Removing POS from the exit rows removes one of these possibilities from the equation.

I can't really add any more - if you can't accept the above then you are quite the apologist.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Hodders
I can't speak for BA procedures, but the cabin crew actions you described seem to comply absolutely with CAA CAP789...
post 7 by peter01 would seem to differ with your interpretation. I'd be grateful if someone not sat on the rear deck of the Blue Star Paros could confirm or deny the regs
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Why should I - it's all about prevention rather than detection. Would you rather see an episode of Air Crash Investigation where people died because the exit row was blocked by a person who should not have been there and the recommendation was to not let people in the exit rows who shouldn't be there.

Or would you rather people are not in these seats in the first place so safe exit can be made when required. I know exit row exits have been used in the past, I've not heard any stories to suggest POS were in the seats so all good then - carry on like this.
I think you seem to have made up your mind on this regardless of any knowledge of actual evidence that it has ever been a problem.

I assume both BA and the CAA have taken a logical and scientific approach and let the evidence dictate their conclusions. I have every reason to believe they have far more information and expertise than any person posting on this thread and have decided on regulations and policy accordingly.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
You wouldn't be moving around a cabin if doing an emergency decent due to depressurisation since you need to be wearing an oxygen mask. However, your aim is to get to 10000ft quickly and then level off or at least commence a normal rate decent, not keep the rapid decent until you get to the ground.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
So where do you draw the line? No alcohol at any time for pax in emergency exits because they could be impaired if there was a sudden emergency? No cabin bags allowed out during the entire flight, by any pax, anywhere, because of a sudden emergency? No visits to the WC?

There are odds and probabilities. Take off and landing are where things have the greatest chance of going wrong. I think we could probably count on one hand the number of emergencies in flight which would be so severe as to not be able to prepare the cabin at some stage before landing?
I think the issue of bags etc. is a different one to a person of size that may will take a significant amount of time to move around the cabin.

The point involving alcohol is a good one and I would welcome crew limiting drinks to passengers sat at exit rows. I believe the crew is not allowed to serve you if you appear inebriated anyway and would like to see a passenger boarding in that state also moved elsewhere.

And generally, where do you draw the line, well that is up to the crew with the absolute authority of the captain to make that decision and only their judgement counts, not our speculation here.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:59 am

post 7 by peter01 would seem to differ with your interpretation. I'd be grateful if someone not sat on the rear deck of the Blue Star Paros could confirm or deny the regs
Peter01's quote is off the CAA website, but if you go into the CAA CAP 789 (https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%20789.pdf), on page 347 the CAA requirement is quite clear, and specifically related to taxi, take off and landing phases of flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.