Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mjh0
This thread concerns the new (August 2017) option of being able to upgrade your bookings via the BA App - both Android and iOS versions, after Online Check-in, hereafter known by the unofficial title of AppUp.

This is an emerging feature, more details will follow as we find out more about this. See post 2 for a few more specifics.

Please list the destination, along with the price in its respective currency, followed by the month and year it was offered.

Short haul routes from LON to/from Europe
  • ARN - Ł89 (Aug, Oct 2017)
  • BRU - Ł79 (Oct 2017)
  • EDI - Ł79 (Aug 2017)
  • FRA - Ł49 (Oct 2017)
  • GLA - Ł75 (Aug 2017)
  • MAN - Ł59 (Aug 2019)

Long haul routes from LON
  • CAI - Ł100 [WT > WTP] (Oct 2017)
  • EWR - Ł333 [WTP > CW] (Nov 2017)
  • NBO - Ł359 [WT > WTP] (Nov 2017)
Print Wikipost

App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Arrow App Upgrades (AppUp) tracking and discussion

Hi all

Just wondering if there has been anymore news regarding the ability to upgrade airside using the BA app which was supposed to be rolled out this summer.

Thanks
James
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This thread concerns the new (August 2017) option of being able to upgrade your bookings via the BA App - both Android and iOS versions, after Online Check-in, hereafter known by the unofficial title of AppUp, hat tip to windowontheAside. See below for some screenshots and examples from different FTers.

The BA App has long provided an alternative route to obtain a POUG (Proactive Upgrade - see separate main thread in the Dashboard) available via the main BA.com website, for the same price and availability. However after OLCI the only two sensible options for upgrades are AUPs (Airport Upgrade - see main thread in Dashboard) and now the App Upgrade. Consequently though it looks to the user that this is one upgrade functionality, under the bonnet there are two phases - before and after T-24. Before T-24 it is a POUG, thereafter it is an AppUp with different prices and availability criteria.

Early indications are that the prices are similar to AUP, which in turn is slightly higher than POUG. We are still awaiting specifics about the last moment that an upgrade via the App can be applied, but my suspicion is it stops around 45 to 60 minutes before departure. Moreover tickets not issued by BA (such as certain corporate travel agency tickets) should be eligible for these upgrades, beforehand the ticket "belongs" to the issuing company, but at T-24 ownership passes to BA.

The screen showing App is available in "View & Manage more flight details", linked in from the Home page a bit below the seat number.
=====
EDIT: Below was the original reply to the question. The thread has now been relabelled in order to make it easier to find, and the text above added with core details.
---
Yes, you're correct, they were supposedly going to offer this. Though I can't say I've been looking for this feature, I can't recall anyone mention it yet. That's the sort of thing that would get reported here fairly soon too. I guess it would end up in the AUP thread since this would seem a version, and I would speculate the price would be similar too: it's a feature within FLY so I can see how a bit of connectivity could get this to work.
Prospero and Flyiboy like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 23, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:48 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Last domestic I did, LGW to EDI I noticed even after I'd checked in it kept trying to sell me an upgrade (at a price well over what I'd consider unless I was TP desperate at the end of my year).

That said I seem to (but am not sure) recall it doing this before so it could just be typical BA IT comedy.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pumplekin
Last domestic I did, LGW to EDI I noticed even after I'd checked in it kept trying to sell me an upgrade (at a price well over what I'd consider unless I was TP desperate at the end of my year).
If you had an offer after OLCI, that would be new. Was it Ł65 or Ł69 do you recall?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've also had upgrades continued to be offered to me post check in on the app. Can't remember the deal.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
me too , post check in for a GLA flight. IIRC Ł75
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:52 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you had an offer after OLCI, that would be new. Was it Ł65 or Ł69 do you recall?
It was 100% after OLCI. I think it was Ł79 for the upgrade, from a HBO ticket.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by BERbound
me too , post check in for a GLA flight. IIRC Ł75
Originally Posted by Pumplekin
It was 100% after OLCI. I think it was Ł79 for the upgrade, from a HBO ticket.
OK, theses rates are about Ł10 above POUG and AUP for domestic upgrades.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Do they tend to be priced on something like a Ł per TP basis?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Do they tend to be priced on something like a Ł per TP basis?
For POUGs the cost is based essentially on the cost difference between a cheap ET and a cheap CE, plus a bit, so that POUGs are not the very cheapest way into CE. The cheapest CE seats are found by buying CE outright in the first instance. AUPs are a similar price, plus a bit more, and it seems Apps are pricier still.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:47 pm

Here you go. Captured it today. It's the same offer I had the week leading up to the flight, no change in price. It only went away when boarding started.

Name:  IMG_6854.PNG
Views: 5205
Size:  154.9 KB
Prospero and Cymro like this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:53 pm

So is this an AppUp?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:05 pm

This is priced at the lower end of my expectations, roughly in line with POUGs. Thanks for posting!

[Mmm are we going to need a new Dashboard thread or can we regard it as POUG/AUP territory? Probably too soon to tell.]
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
However, would assume that if you do it post OLCI, you wouldn't get any catering, especially at out stations that are round trip catered?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
However, would assume that if you do it post OLCI, you wouldn't get any catering, especially at out stations that are round trip catered?
I was about to say. "Hey upgrade for Ł89, no food included!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.