Wiki Posts
Search

LHR >> HKG TP run

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
LHR >> HKG TP run

I am considering doing next business trip to HKG as a non direct in order to sort out my GC status in one shot.

Best J alternatives look like (in descending order from favourite)

QR: LHR >> DOH >> HKG (560 rtn)
MH: LHR >> KUL >> HKG (400 rtn)
AY: LHR >> HEL >> HKG (440 rtn)

So from a TP perspective (if my calculations are correct) QR easily tops, followed by AY. But I am kind of assuming a MH A380 from LHR is a better long leg and maybe worth forgoing the last few points for.

All input appreciated. My preferred departure time if I opt for QR looks like not an A380 but an A350 so would I be right in assuming somewhat less of a hard product?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
QR hard poduct is far superior to MH, almost regardless of aircraft. Seat, etc. are fairly consistent with the exception of the A330 (not used on LHR) and 777 (2-2-2 layout whereas everything else is 1-2-1).

QR's non-suite 777 is similar to but overall slightly better than MH's. MH on KUL-HKG will be a 737, fine for short haul and better than Club Europe but not comparable to a long-haul aircraft.

I don't have a problem with QR splitting into two segments, but some might - one really long leg may be better for some people, particularly if you need to arrive relatively early in the day (in which case the timings favour AY over MH).

Last edited by Cymro; Aug 16, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks

It's actually somewhat the other way around - the QR flight timings meant that although I am a bit longer in the air, I can leave LHR at a sensible time in the evening on a Sunday and not lose my whole day.

The AY timing looked good if the 45 min turnarould in HEL is realistic (which I don't know, although I guess it's deemed saleable as such anyway). I assume bags check through. But if you don't want to chance it, and opt for the previous LHR departure, it's quite early. Prefer the evening flights.

Suspect if I do this at all, I'd end up going QR.The MH short hop TP seems to be a paltry 40 whereas the QR option is basically full double bubble. Quite a difference in the end.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
AY/connection at HEL

45 min connection time at HEL is no issue. You wil make the HKG flight unless the incoming flight is seriously late.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Cymro

MH on LHR-HKG will be a 737
Now that I'd like to see!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:34 am

But not experience! Sorry, I meant KUL-HKG!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Pascoe

My preferred departure time if I opt for QR looks like not an A380 but an A350 so would I be right in assuming somewhat less of a hard product?
In my opinion absolutely not. While the A380 has the attraction of the Upper Deck F/J bar, the A350's J cabin has a more spacious feel. QR's A350 is probably my current favourite aircraft.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I am considering doing next business trip to HKG as a non direct in order to sort out my GC status in one shot.

Best J alternatives look like (in descending order from favourite)

QR: LHR >> DOH >> HKG (560 rtn)
MH: LHR >> KUL >> HKG (400 rtn)
AY: LHR >> HEL >> HKG (440 rtn)

So from a TP perspective (if my calculations are correct) QR easily tops, followed by AY. But I am kind of assuming a MH A380 from LHR is a better long leg and maybe worth forgoing the last few points for.

All input appreciated. My preferred departure time if I opt for QR looks like not an A380 but an A350 so would I be right in assuming somewhat less of a hard product?
The QR A350 hard product is superb.
Have you considered routing via Scandinavia e.g. LHR >> ARN >> DOH >> HKG? More hassle and a separate booking needed for the first / last legs, but you may find a significant cost saving (and you can pick up the extra TPs on the LHR >> ARN leg of course).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volar
The QR A350 hard product is superb.
Have you considered routing via Scandinavia e.g. LHR >> ARN >> DOH >> HKG? More hassle and a separate booking needed for the first / last legs, but you may find a significant cost saving (and you can pick up the extra TPs on the LHR >> ARN leg of course).
I don't need that many TPs on this run. Plus the time spent wouldn't suit. Plus I don't do my own bookings for work and that much complication would probably raise a few eyebrows...

but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:46 am

Suspect if I do this at all, I'd end up going QR.The MH short hop TP seems to be a paltry 40 whereas the QR option is basically full double bubble. Quite a difference in the end.
Assuming that cost isn't the overriding factor, and if you're used to BA on non-stop flights it probably isn't, I think your use case is tailor made for QR. My preference on QR would be QR8, if the price is right, partly because this is the new Suites flight but mainly because it gets you onto the 4 p.m. arrival in HKG (rather than 8.30 p.m.) which puts you in the hotel mid to late afternoon UK time when you really need to be thinking about going to sleep!

MH's timings are even worse in that respect with a near-midnight arrival.

On timing alone, Finnair wins this by a mile, being comparable with a direct flight, but you have to take into account the viability of the connection (though if you are leaving on Sunday you should be able to be rebooked onto the Monday flight arriving at 8.10 a.m. on Tuesday as a worst case scenario). I've never flown AY long haul but others have complained about the quality of the seat for sleeping.

45 minutes should be absolutely fine for connecting in HEL unless there's a bus gate, at which point it's still doable if the plane is on time.

Of course you might find it difficult to go back to BA after these!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:12 am
Original Poster

I think I'll likely go QR, on the late Sunday departure (can't remember flight number) as it had a reasonable ish layover in Doha, and it's a comparable departure time to the BA direct flight I'd usually take, and therefore the equivalent amount of disruption to weekend family time. Because that combines with the massively larger TPs for the run, it seems like a bit of a no brainer.

I wouldn't do this on an even vaguely risky connection time as if I were offered a direct flight by my firm and then somehow have to explain why they're paying me to see Helsinki, I don't think it's gonna go down too well.

So it's direct, or a soiree to DOH for me I think.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
MH uses an A330 on their first KUL-HKG rotation if I'm not mistaken, which should connect well with their early flight out of London.

QR seats are definitely much better than MH A380, or AY A350 (except for the 2-2-2 on their 77W). From LHR, QR7/8 should have the Q-Suite as well (subject to QR usual aircraft change)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
This is a no brainer, QR all the way.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
In order of preference;

1. QR
2. QR
3. QR

(Their lounge at LHR is *great* and their product in the air is outstanding).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Which lounge is it? I don't even know which terminal they fly from tbh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.