Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chances of getting a non-middle J seat at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond

I purchased a discount J fare (American ticket stock) which includes a JFK-LHR flight on BA on November 25th (Saturday after Thanksgiving in the States). I'm not keen on paying for a seat assignment so I am going to wait until check-in to secure a seat. What are the chances of getting a seat closer to the window on this flight at check-in? The aircraft is the 777.

Thoughts?

NOTE: Moderators if this needs to be consolidated with an existing thread please move as necessary.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by MCI777
I purchased a discount J fare (American ticket stock) which includes a JFK-LHR flight on BA on November 25th (Saturday after Thanksgiving in the States). I'm not keen on paying for a seat assignment so I am going to wait until check-in to secure a seat. What are the chances of getting a seat closer to the window on this flight at check-in? The aircraft is the 777.

Thoughts?

NOTE: Moderators if this needs to be consolidated with an existing thread please move as necessary.
In my limited experience , pretty good.

The middle pairs are as popular with couples as they are un-popular with solo travellers
MCI777 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:41 am

It's a status heavy route, but being a holiday weekend may mean fewer status travellers.

I'd just keep an eye on the seat map over the next few months and be prepared to pay if all the side seats are going.
MCI777 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Possible, but less likely to get a non-middle seat (i.e., the two outer aisles); but you should be able to avoid a middle-middle if you check in at T-24 exactly.
MCI777 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Corpt
It's a status heavy route, but being a holiday weekend may mean fewer status travellers.

I'd just keep an eye on the seat map over the next few months and be prepared to pay if all the side seats are going.
Good advice. I'll keep an eye on it. Like you mentioned, hopefully the Holiday weekend will help with fewer elites. ^
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Still, it surprises me every time that an paid J class on BA couldn't pick seats before checkin...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Presumably middle-middle is only REALLY bad news if there's someone else in there with you. Two together in the middle if you're alone there doesn't sound too bad to me...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
If you are AA Gold that is OW Ruby which should allow you to select a seat FOC 7 days before.

S
MCI777 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Presumably middle-middle is only REALLY bad news if there's someone else in there with you. Two together in the middle if you're alone there doesn't sound too bad to me...
I moved to a vacant double middle on a light LHR-BOS flight last year, with no one in the aisle to step over. It was a wonderful and very private place to spend the flight. I'd avoid it on a rammed flight, though, and wouldn't select it by choice.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Pascoe
I was in 17F on an 86J 747 last year from LHR to JFK, having been op-uped from WTP.

There was no-one in 17E, so I had the middle pair to myself. There was also no-one in 18D so I was able to get to the aisle without stepping over anyone's legs, and the person who was in 17G decided to move to an empty window seat so I wasn't staring at anyone across the divider either. It was great!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Yeah that sounds good. I actually tried the middle hobbit hole seat in a 3 upstairs in the A380 a while back (but back of cabin so still had aisle access). Didn't actually mind that. but the two would just be a bit public for me if someone else is there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.