Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DISGUSTED- four pax in CW-pay for seat assignments???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

I just booked a US-EU-US flight for my family of four (wife and two young daughters) in CW. Miles plus 5k USD. The Executive Club agent assured me I would be able to choose seats once I had my itinerary in my email.

I did as instructed, only to find that BA wanted an additional 1,500 USD to assign seats together. nearly a 30% premium of my fees, simply to assign seats in three wide open cabins. I was reassured that "I had the freedom to choose seats 24 hours prior to check-in."

Yes. very reassuring that my teenage daughters may be sitting alone, face to face with some strange man, also traveling alone, on an eight hour journey from Florida to London. simply unacceptable.

Problem is, if I choose not to pay and cancel, I am stuck with the Avios miles as I used the 40% Amex to Avios transfer bonus. I have never in my 20 years of premium travel had to pay to choose a seat.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
BA charges non elites for seats even in J. Is free at T-24.
If you want to cancel and are within 24 hours of booking, call BA and they will issue full refund - you will be stuck with the Avios.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the risk of being separated by a few feet across the cabin is too much to bear, then you can pay for seat assignments in advance

If you check in online when it opens, there is a very good chance that you will be able to get seats together

That people do not want to pay for allocated seating is why seat maps can be wide open

It is well documented that BA charges for allocated seating on most non full-fare tickets unless holding appropriate OneWorld Status

If you have just booked the tickets and this is a big iussue, then cancel for a full refund and rebook on another carrier
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Although it's them rules with BA, I do find it supremely chintzy that people have to pay for seat assignments even in the premium cabins. It's just low rent, like the rest of the airline.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by dlen111
I just booked a US-EU-US flight for my family of four (wife and two young daughters) in CW. Miles plus 5k USD. The Executive Club agent assured me I would be able to choose seats once I had my itinerary in my email.

I did as instructed, only to find that BA wanted an additional 1,500 USD to assign seats together. nearly a 30% premium of my fees, simply to assign seats in three wide open cabins. I was reassured that "I had the freedom to choose seats 24 hours prior to check-in."

Yes. very reassuring that my teenage daughters may be sitting alone, face to face with some strange man, also traveling alone, on an eight hour journey from Florida to London. simply unacceptable.

Problem is, if I choose not to pay and cancel, I am stuck with the Avios miles as I used the 40% Amex to Avios transfer bonus. I have never in my 20 years of premium travel had to pay to choose a seat.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
How could both be sitting facing one man? And where is this isolated cabin that they will be alone in?
Blackjackburger likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pickles
Although it's them rules with BA, I do find it supremely chintzy that people have to pay for seat assignments even in the premium cabins. It's just low rent, like the rest of the airline.
I find not getting anything to eat when sat in domestic first low rent too, but I guess all airlines differ
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Do you have oneworld status? BA does charge for advance seat assignments unless you have OW status.

Are you sure that it is an additional $1500 for 4 people for seat assignments? That seems a little high.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...icy-guide.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ess-class.html
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While I understand your frustration and do think it is just one of the many reasons to avoid BA's J product you should have done your research on the product. It's a rather well known and much complained about fact.

The agent was correct in saying you would be able to select seats but they obviously don't volunteer that it's at a fee as the company should be embarrassed with the policy.
The upside is that service tend to be pretty good. The seat, which I do not like, is not starring at the other person. You do have to step over people or be stepped over though.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by KARFA
I find not getting anything to eat when sat in domestic first low rent too, but I guess all airlines differ
I didn't say it's the only low rent airline, but unlike the other low rent airlines, which have been low rent for a long time, it's a recent development.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:34 pm

I didn't say it's the only low rent airline, but unlike the other low rent airlines, which have been low rent for a long time, it's a recent development.
It's been in place since 2008 I think so perhaps not too recent.

My point was all airlines differ, and each probably have policies one could consider low ren. Just relax and choose the one you prefer
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
It's been in place since 2008 I think so perhaps not too recent. My point was all airlines differ, just relax and choose the one you prefer
Didn't know that, I thought it was more recent and contemporaneous with the total slide of BA into low-rent airline territory. I'm OW elite in two airlines, so never had to deal with this issue on BA.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:38 pm

Didn't know that, I thought it was more recent and contemporaneous with the total slide of BA into low-rent airline territory. I'm OW elite in two airlines, so never had to deal with this issue on BA.
As a OWS this is a benefit to you so not sure why you are so negative about it. It is people like the OP who lose out, not OW status holders.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dlen111

You can choose the seats by paying a fee. I don't think it's as high as $1500. Then again I've never had to pay to pick seats on BA flights so I don't know how much it is.

What do you think is going to happen? You make it sound like CW is a seedy night club.
ksu, kaka, Sealink and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Not true that BA charge for seat selection in all "premium" cabins. Fly First and anyone can choose their seat at time of booking, well except 1A and 1K. BA have been charging for seat selection for those not holdings Gold or Silver cards in the various cabins behind First for many years now and they are far from the only non American airline to do this. Your lack of knowledge with BA's product offering is hardly their fault. Sorry to be harsh but really.....
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Person dosen't like the long term BA policy. Should have looked before booking.

<insert usual comments pro and anti>

And many airlines - indeed Regulators like the CAA - regard 12+ as adults with no need to be sat next to a parent.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.