Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DISGUSTED- four pax in CW-pay for seat assignments???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISGUSTED- four pax in CW-pay for seat assignments???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cymro
I just priced up four seats SAN-LHR-JNB and it's $105 per person, per leg, which does work out at $1,680. However, if that's 30% of the overall cost for four then the OP got a hell of a deal regardless.
They are redemption tickets. The 30% is based on his YQ and fees/taxes.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
In that case, can we start moaning about YQ on redemptions as well please?

TIA.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I am certain that seat selection for 4 does not cost $1500, maybe $150?
I would have thought somewhere beween the 2. Bear in mind that it is a minimum 8 seats and with a connection that becomes 16.

Perhaps the OP would be good enough to post the details.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I would have thought somewhere beween the 2. Bear in mind that it is a minimum 8 seats and with a connection that becomes 16.

Perhaps the OP would be good enough to post the details.
Well apparently it could be correct according to other posts - I apologise for saying that $1500 could not possible be correct. I stand corrected. That is just beyond silly.

If I were him I would wait until T-24. I would be astonished if he couldn't at least get 2 x 2. But if not, I am sure someone at BA would help him out so that his children were not sitting alone.

At the very most, he could pay for 2 seats on each flight (a window and an aisle), so that would mean his two daughters could sit beside each other and would not have anyone else beside either of them. At least that would be half the price.

Last edited by Enigma368; Aug 13, 2017 at 12:27 am
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:37 am

Free seat selection would of course be nice... but....

I'm in the same boat as the OP (although a solo flyer)..booked on BA HKG-LHR-CDG as part of an AA miles redemption. ( Managed to score AY CDG-HEL-HKG on the way back to SYD so )

NO OW status... award flight.

Yet as part of the process I looked to see "what was what"....and so naturally found that seat selection on BA had a fee (and that AY operates the A350 HEL-HKG and has wifi....)...

I don't feel I did anything unusual in checking the details.

As already alluded to...I find BA's YQ FAR more objectionable than the seat selection fee.... YMMV.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
This thread just speaks of the benefits of Flyertalk. Had the OP looked on the BA forum before rather than after making this purchase, he/she would have bumped into literally dozens (if not hundreds?) of threads on this exact same topic with the exact same comments and saved him/herself what seems like significant angst.

As for advice, since you mention that your worry is clearly about who your daughters will sit with, why don't you pay the seat assignment fee just for the two of them in a window/aisle pair of seats. That way, you can be reassured that they will only face one another and perfectly safe. Your wife and yourself can then wait till OLCI and take the best seats available then and will have saved half of the money that you mentioned that you were asked to pay.
Stez, Calchas and 20Rothmans like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 13, 2017 at 1:18 am
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:46 am

OP - do you have any status with AA or any other oneworld carrier at all? Even the lowest level of oneworld status (BA Bronze, American Gold and levels in other programs equivalent to oneworld Ruby) should allow you to to select seats for free seven days prior to departure.

Also curious as to what your transatlantic route is? If its a Florida airport into Gatwick, these flights may have relatively fewer status holders onboard, which could lead to greater selection a week out, or even at online check-in exactly 24h before.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:50 am

We have a reward Booking in sep,
Cph- Jfk and seat assignment pr pax is

Cph-Lhr Economy 17$
Lhr-Jfk World traveller+ 50$~63$
Jfk-Lhr club World 89$~98$
Lhr-Cph club Europe 29$~34$
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by dlen111
Yes. very reassuring that my teenage daughters may be sitting alone, face to face with some strange man, also traveling alone, on an eight hour journey from Florida to London. simply unacceptable.
On the BA board you'll find no shortage of people wanting to bash BA and a number (but less, and shrinking) wanting to defend them. However the one thing almost guaranteed to unite most people to stop you getting any sympathy is patently ludicrous hyperbole.
Airprox, Calchas and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Enigma368
At the very most, he could pay for 2 seats on each flight (a window and an aisle), so that would mean his two daughters could sit beside each other and would not have anyone else beside either of them. At least that would be half the price.
Not possible.. Its all or nothing with seat selection if on one booking..
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by dlen111
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
If having a seat assignment now is important to you, then you will need to pay the seating fee. You can reduce the overall cost of this though. The seating rates vary depending on location within the cabin. Higher rates towards the front of the cabin and upper deck, lower rates towards the rear of the cabin. You cannot cherry pick by paying for seats for only one passenger in your booking - you will need to pay for all four. That’s the way BA’s paid seating works. However, paid seating need not apply to every flight in your booking - you can cherry pick your flights.

Another thing to consider is this - as you will be connecting from one BA flight to another on your outbound journey and ditto on your inbound journey, you can use OLCI to your advantage. For example, you should be able to check-in for sector 2 when OLCI opens for sector 1 - this effectively gives you a head’s start on sector 2.

So consider this:
Use paid seating for your first (TATL) sector only and use OLCI to select your seats for sector 2. On your return, use OLCI to select your seats on both sectors as soon as it opens - you get a greater choice of seats on the inbound TATL flight by virtue of the opportunity to check-in earlier than the London mob.

You can also monitor the seat maps during the weeks/months ahead. If you see the cabins filling up - be ready to pounce with your credit card in hand.
trooper and Toonfan like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by wolf72
Sorry, did I read that correct? 12 year old's are now considered adults?
Oh yes, and it's not just the customers. I can exclusively reveal that BA is planning to launch a new cabin crew group, Teen Fleet. They've spotted an opportunity to get rid of all those ridiculously expensive Mixed Fleet contracts via a lifelong intern model, starting at age 12 (yes, I know 12 isn't strictly a teen, but BA is all about broadening opportunity).

TF's parents will in fact pay BA for them to fly, and no longer will the lack of a living wage to provide things like food, housing and travel to work generate strikes at BA, since the bank of Mum and Dad will take care of this.

Customers will find paying for seat reservations the least of their worries, since the cabin crew will be found lying in their seat watching TV anyway, and they'll be busy dealing with the WhatsApp messages asking where the crew's dinner is, and whether anyone can drive the crew to their hotel at the destination, since their parents couldn't affford to come on this flight.

Onboard complaints will now be logged via a Snapchat-based app and will therefore disappear shortly after being submitted. This was the winner of BA's recent Hangar 51 innovation initiative, with the benefit of bunny ears on any photos submitted with the complaint. Gold, Silver and Bronze-tipped ears are available to those with the relevant BAEC status. Any complaints that do survive will receive the response "you don't understand us".

A BA executive, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said that roles in Teen Fleet will be available via a Kickstarter campaign with a minimum investment by parents of £25k per year. The campaign will close when the £400m Alex Cruz has promised to invest in CW has been reached. Of course, as always with crowdfunding, BA will reward its loyal investors. All investors will receive a new CW meal and BA White Company bedding set. These will be sent out in December 2020, just before they become available on routes other than LHR-JFK.

Who said BA isn't down with the kids? On the bright side, BA's 12 year old adult policy means they can select exit row seats, as long as their parents pay for them
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by muishkin
You can choose the seats by paying a fee. I don't think it's as high as $1500. Then again I've never had to pay to pick seats on BA flights so I don't know how much it is.
I can't imagine it's $1500, but then I'm not a BA flyer either. I did just purchase my first ever BA flight and was surprised to see I couldn't even pick a general garbage seat in Y without paying. I don't care for DUB-LHR but for LHR-YYC I MIIIIIIGHT fork out the 40 bucks just to make sure i get that sweet sweet aisle.

Originally Posted by muishkin
What do you think is going to happen? You make it sound like CW is a seedy night club.
Where can I fly this awesome airline? I'd love to fly the seedy night club. I always kinda assumed that's what Virgin J class was like.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Is there a quick / easy / cheaper way than $1500 for OP to get status and then have the benefits of this as well as free seat selection for all?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's been like that for a long time. How does this have anything to do with lazy airlines. I see 12-year olds taking busses and trains by themselves all the time. I don't think more are being raped or kidnapped than 30 years ago.
As a 13 year old, I took my 11 year old brother from TPA to AUS via ATL and back without any UM assistance in 1979.
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Aug 13, 2017 at 2:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.