Wiki Posts
Search

BHX Long Haul BA Rumours

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
BHX Long Haul BA Rumours

Shared with a healthy dose of scepticism.

I was chatting to a member of staff in the Duty Free shop at BHX this afternoon about BA. He mentioned that there had been discussions at the airport about BA introducing a North American service and/or a South African service from BHX. He even went as far as to say that they were pegging the A380 for this.. He reasoned that Emirates operates an A380 from BHX so the airport could handle a BA A380.

As I said at the start, naturally, I'm very sceptical about this information - it didn't exactly come from a BHX executive - but it's an interesting rumour. For me, any news about BA moving back to the regions is good news.

Has anyone else heard this rumour? Any substance to it?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA
BHX is far too close to London to make sense for BA. If you want to bet on long haul from the regions look to MAN by the end of the decade.

Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
He reasoned that Emirates operates an A380 from BHX so the airport could handle a BA A380.
Whilst technically true, any link to BA operating services is completely no-existent. The person you spoke to clearly hasn't a clue.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BHX has very little Oneworld presence so I could see them expanding there HOWEVER the fact that AA pulled out a few years ago makes it somewhat unlikely.

I wonder if instead maybe Level are wanting to fly from there? If they can get a good deal from BHX management of course.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by streetmagix
I wonder if instead maybe Level are wanting to fly from there? If they can get a good deal from BHX management of course.
That would be an interesting idea. We forget that BHX is 70 minutes by train from London Euston, i.e. only 20 minutes further than Stansted is from London Liverpool St. And a single fare is (can be) less than the Heathrow Express.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:01 am

BA dont have enough A380's to operate their profitable LHR routes.BHX will probably never see a BA A380 except for a diversion.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
BHX has very little Oneworld presence so I could see them expanding there HOWEVER the fact that AA pulled out a few years ago makes it somewhat unlikely.

AA pulled out this year. They started JFK flights last year I think it was and they scrapped them. UA are also stopping service to EWR (which has been running since Continental airlines days) and instead we're getting some tacky no frills airline called Primavera Air or something stupid doing flights to Boston and Newark.

Now, can I see LEVEL coming to BHX? Yes
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
AA pulled out this year. They started JFK flights last year I think it was and they scrapped them. UA are also stopping service to EWR (which has been running since Continental airlines days) and instead we're getting some tacky no frills airline called Primavera Air or something stupid doing flights to Boston and Newark.

Now, can I see LEVEL coming to BHX? Yes
Worth noting AA flew their oldest 757s there and who in their right mind would go on them...
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hemschmall
BHX is far too close to London to make sense for BA.
Considering that you can get from Euston to Birmingham International in 1h10m, it could be faster than getting to LHR from some parts of London.

As mentioned, definitely not few years ago, as I was on JFK-BHX in January this year.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Worth noting AA flew their oldest 757s there and who in their right mind would go on them...
The vast majority of the population who doesn't know better? Or people who wanted to fly non stop between the two cities???
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603
Or people who wanted to fly non stop between the two cities???
Or that was the only award available from NYC to UK on that day...

Having flown on AA/US B752s over the Atlantic, both in Y and J, it is not the best experience, but the flights [especially eastbound] are short and doable.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:03 pm

BHX is my local airport, much better than driving to LGW or LHR and driving back with jet lag.
Only 70 mins from Lon is ok, if you don't want to get home on a Sunday, dragging tired people and cases over London.
The main problem for BHX us how much more expensive flights are, they come out much more expensive than car parking and hotel at, say, LGW.
DUB-PHL-MCO in business is £2,000 cheaper than BHX-DUB-PHL-MCO. The aer lingus flights from BHX to DUB and back only costs £300.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The terminals at BHX are a mess and it's the non-eurohub side that's been tarted up to take the 380.
It's a shame that UA are ceasing the EWR service. AA have never been able to make a go of service out of BHX, they've been in and out like a yo-yo over the years.

Only QR fly the flag for OW and even they only seem to be there just because EK are, because for sure they're not matching EK in terms of size of aircraft.

Level, it's a possibility. Let's not forget that BHX is mainly solid LCC and charter territory. If BA are going to do long haul outside of London, MAN makes sense.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:20 pm

Cant see this happening for all reasons given. Manchester at a push but even thats stretching it. Maybe some Level action in a few years. Mainline A380- no
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Only QR fly the flag for OW and even they only seem to be there just because EK are, because for sure they're not matching EK in terms of size of aircraft.
IB as well.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by frank_poulankh
Shared with a healthy dose of scepticism.

I was chatting to a member of staff in the Duty Free shop at BHX this afternoon about BA. He mentioned that there had been discussions at the airport about BA introducing a North American service and/or a South African service from BHX. He even went as far as to say that they were pegging the A380 for this.. He reasoned that Emirates operates an A380 from BHX so the airport could handle a BA A380.

As I said at the start, naturally, I'm very sceptical about this information - it didn't exactly come from a BHX executive - but it's an interesting rumour. For me, any news about BA moving back to the regions is good news.

Has anyone else heard this rumour? Any substance to it?
Sounds like too much Sampling of the Stock by Staff in The Duty Free Shop

Last edited by UncleDude; Aug 12, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.