Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why don't BA sell upgrades for empty seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't BA sell upgrades for empty seats?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by squawk
However - unless I've missed it - one thing that isn't clear is why, whenever there is space in the next cabin up, they don't more pro-actively offer at-airport offers for approximately the same difference in price as it would cost to book the premium cabin in the first place.

I suspect they wouldn't get a huge number of takers at such a price, but even if just an occasional person did it (never underestimate impulse purchasing!), I assume it would provide BA with some additional profit? I assume the marginal cost of administration and the J class meal/amenities would be more than outweighed by the near-enough full price ticket…
AUPs do exactly that. They typically lead to prices that are above promotional discounted prices in the final cabin anyway. If you mean selling at higher/closer to 'full price' upgrade, then the answer is in the beginning of your second paragraph: it is not good commercial logic to spend energy and resources selling something that people do not wish to buy. No sale is cost free, it takes notional staff time, training, systems maintenance or upgrades, etc so if the product is not one that many people want, you are better off focusing on something else.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
+1 For an airline "protecting the integrity of the premium cabins" they sure don't mind ramming them to the gills with pax who have paid nothing at the last minute but won't release an upgrade using Avios to their top tier members even a few hours in advance. I have talked to a lot of people in CW seats next to me over the years and they have been totally surprised at the gate by being upgraded. Very few of them ever mentioned being in BAEC. Good for them I say but for ffs BA needs to stop the integrity of the cabin crap
This is a sales ploy and revenue protection ploy.

Give them a taste of the premium cabin and hope they will book it he next time

If someone usually flies club, but on one flight choose to fly WT+, why upgrade them to club, at either a significantly reduce price or OpUp? That would just encourage them to pay for WT+ the next time.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:33 am

but for ffs BA needs to stop the integrity of the cabin crap
I think you misunderstand. BA is not protecting the integrity of the cabin - it is protecting it's revenue. You may not like this but BA are not doing this for fun or even to win a single customer's approval. They are doing it to generate revenue and, having done this for a little while now, they have ample evidence that the strategy works. You don't have to like it or even agree with it, your choice is whether you fly with BA or another carrier.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I think you misunderstand. BA is not protecting the integrity of the cabin - it is protecting it's revenue. You may not like this but BA are not doing this for fun or even to win a single customer's approval. They are doing it to generate revenue and, having done this for a little while now, they have ample evidence that the strategy works. You don't have to like it or even agree with it, your choice is whether you fly with BA or another carrier.
This.

They don't give a flying fig about the integrity of the cabin - just how much money they can make.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
This is a sales ploy and revenue protection ploy.

Give them a taste of the premium cabin and hope they will book it he next time

If someone usually flies club, but on one flight choose to fly WT+, why upgrade them to club, at either a significantly reduce price or OpUp? That would just encourage them to pay for WT+ the next time.
If BA can block certain passengers from an AUP - such as someone who usually pays Club but chose WT+ this time - they could program in similar limitations to some software that would allow passengers to upgrade using Avios.

It likely makes more sense to allow a passenger who flies WT+ a couple times a year - perhaps with no or Bronze status - to self-select for a seat in a premium cabin and reduce their Avios liability than to just offer it to some random passenger.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I think you misunderstand. BA is not protecting the integrity of the cabin - it is protecting it's revenue.
Actually I fully understand this. It is the term "protecting the integrity of the cabin" that makes me laugh. I do remember when BA flew with empty seats in CW and F but now they ram them with random passengers. I agree you shouldn't nurture an expectation for top status passengers to get upgraded all the time like with NA airlines. I still don't understand why BA's higher status fliers can't be given an opportunity to UuA at T-24 or less rather than random op-ups for free. BA would still be further ahead revenue wise as an Avios liability would be drawn down.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:26 am

Actually I fully understand this. It is the term "protecting the integrity of the cabin" that makes me laugh. I do remember when BA flew with empty seats in CW and F but now they ram them with random passengers. I agree you shouldn't nurture an expectation for top status passengers to get upgraded all the time like with NA airlines. I still don't understand why BA's higher status fliers can't be given an opportunity to UuA at T-24 or less rather than random op-ups for free. BA would still be further ahead revenue wise as an Avios liability would be drawn down.
BA do not ram their premium cabins full of random people, or at least they do not view it this way. Unless the rear cabins are oversold there will be no upgrades - there is no commercial reason to do so. IF the rear cabins are oversold then there will be upgrades, there are several ways you can do this - many on this board would suggest that frequent fliers and those with status should get these upgrades. To a certain extent this is the case, but BA also use this as an opportunity for those close to a status jump to show them a higher class of travel, the belief being that show them a glimpse of something better and they will be more inclined to pay for it next time. The flip side of this is that FFs would soon learn to use the various tools online to identify which flights are liable to status upgrades so preferentially travel on these flights and to gain upgrades for free. Better to use these upgrades as a upselling tool than to gift free upgrades to no sales advantage. Either way, you get what you pay for and free upgrades are just that, BA decide who they want to give them to, in this sense it is their train set and they get to decide who they give away upgrades to.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is also possible to UuA on the day of travel. Availability at this time of year won't be great, but anyone going in CW to KUL tonight can UuA to First (currently 3 seats going). Off season the availability can be rather more impressive.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
BA do not ram their premium cabins full of random people, or at least they do not view it this way. Unless the rear cabins are oversold there will be no upgrades - there is no commercial reason to do so. IF the rear cabins are oversold then there will be upgrades, there are several ways you can do this - many on this board would suggest that frequent fliers and those with status should get these upgrades. To a certain extent this is the case, but BA also use this as an opportunity for those close to a status jump to show them a higher class of travel, the belief being that show them a glimpse of something better and they will be more inclined to pay for it next time. The flip side of this is that FFs would soon learn to use the various tools online to identify which flights are liable to status upgrades so preferentially travel on these flights and to gain upgrades for free. Better to use these upgrades as a upselling tool than to gift free upgrades to no sales advantage. Either way, you get what you pay for and free upgrades are just that, BA decide who they want to give them to, in this sense it is their train set and they get to decide who they give away upgrades to.
A UuA is not a "free" upgrade. Those Avios being used were either awarded flying BA or partners of BAEC (CC,airline etc) bought them
pomkiwi likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I would like to see some evidence that US airlines are doing so poorly allowing their elite travellers to upgrade. AA and UA appear to be doing just fine.

But secondly, what is the value of avois? There are few and far between upgrade opportunities when 3 years ago it was quite easy to take advantage of upgrade opportunities. So it appears the value is really for those who are willing to use avios far in advance to book holiday travel rather than the frequent traveller who has less time to book. I have found them useful in discounting expensive hotel rates.

My thought - if anyone from BA is reading this - is add to the app the ability for Gold and above to bid on upgrades within 12 hours of flight. Create an auction for the seats. Pay with cash or avois. It does not devalue the product as only your most loyal customers are being given the opportunity.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
I guess this needs investment big or small, but BA is cutting the cost right now, certainly this is not something they prioritised to do. Also for avios, it is not real currency or money, BA may increase the amount of avios for a redemption if they found its too much of a liability as far as I can see.

Originally Posted by Hobo1888
I would like to see some evidence that US airlines are doing so poorly allowing their elite travellers to upgrade. AA and UA appear to be doing just fine.

But secondly, what is the value of avois? There are few and far between upgrade opportunities when 3 years ago it was quite easy to take advantage of upgrade opportunities. So it appears the value is really for those who are willing to use avios far in advance to book holiday travel rather than the frequent traveller who has less time to book. I have found them useful in discounting expensive hotel rates.

My thought - if anyone from BA is reading this - is add to the app the ability for Gold and above to bid on upgrades within 12 hours of flight. Create an auction for the seats. Pay with cash or avois. It does not devalue the product as only your most loyal customers are being given the opportunity.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:41 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Hobo1888

My thoughts.....Gold doesn't always mean most loyal. Just my example as in my 20th year as an Executive Club member and 17,000 LTTP's. If BA were to implement this type of thing, wouldn't it make sense to allow this type of loyal customer to have a bite at the cherry too?

S
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Why use the same system as EK - if seats are available at departure then they can be sold as upgrades for Avios at usual cost (I think this is limited to Silver card holders and above). This allows members to use their airmiles (which as Crampedin13A points out have been paid for) and gets the liability off the airlines balance sheet.
I agree that there may be an issue for BA in sorting appropriate catering etc but other airlines seem to manage.

Although it is also possible to suggest that airlines are quite happy to leave airmiles on the liabilities side until they, or the owner, expire.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.