Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2 Aug : Disruption - BA computer systems down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Just arrived in from SIN and IT systems have just gone down.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
I am at the Galleries now, my mobile boardig pass is unavailable from the app and the lunge agent said she couldn’t check anyway due to system being down and waved me through.

EDIT: Boarding pass now available and push notification recieved from the app.

Last edited by zat_dude; Aug 1, 2017 at 10:53 pm Reason: changed situation
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Systems rebooted a few times and we're back - some very relieved faces it FCC. The CCR still thinks the system is down, but I've let them know.

Hopefully a minor, resolved issue.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Also at LCY!

Not only LHR. Also at LCY. The queue for CE, BAEC elites was snaking out the door. I barely made my flight. What is wrong with BA's IT?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
. I barely made my flight. What is wrong with BA's IT?
BA's IT is ancient, horribly underinvested (something like 40% below competitors in like to like terms size of business according to the Sunday Times report the other week), complicated and outsourced with the local UK expertise all made redundant - what can possibly go wrong....

Another major IT failure would be the end of Cruz, must have been a little worried earlier today

Programs: BAEC Silver
Daily Mail reporting it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...w-Airport.html

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Lead story on the telegraph website at the moment - is it really that bad? I was expecting to find a thread of 100+ replies...
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What is wrong with BA's IT?
Chronic underinvestment at a corporate level, and outsourcing to the lowest bidder.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
If something similar would happen twice in a couple of months in my company (even though not the same magnitude) I would be out I guess. Let's see what AC will say about this...
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Now also front-page news in the Guardian.

BA passengers hit by check-in delays

A statement from British Airways said: “Customers are being checked in as normal after an earlier problem was resolved. We are sorry for the temporary check-in problems, which caused some delays for our customers first thing this morning.

“This issue is now resolved and our staff are working flat out to help customers get away on their holidays.”
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Bit of a slow news day by the sounds of it. Still a major outage may save BA a huge amount, by getting rid of Cruzis.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have done a couple of flights this morning, and as I had my boarding passes downloaded, I wasn't really impacted. But there were some passengers who failed to clear at the final boarding scan and who needed phone calls and assorted hassles before they could board. I suspect FLY went down and those checking in at the wrong stage got their bookings messed up.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:01 am

Surely with all the focus on the previous outage and the "independent" report due to be coming out, this sort of thing shouldn't happen?

The regularity with which we've seen outages points to a fundamental flaw with the architecture.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Waiting at TXL to get back to LCY and the inbound aircraft still hasn’t left LCY with a 2.5 hour delay expected - staff here are blaming check-in issues at LCY earlier.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Surely with all the focus on the previous outage and the "independent" report due to be coming out, this sort of thing shouldn't happen?

The regularity with which we've seen outages points to a fundamental flaw with the architecture.
Ah yes, I can imaging the conversation

Cruz; We would like you to investigate this IT failure, despite the fact we know what it was completely unforeseeable.

Consultant; Yes of course

Cruz; You must be independent, independent of the management of BA, independent of me, Si? Me the man who places large lucrative consulting contracts with you. Entirely independent?

Consultant; Yes I fully understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.