Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Champagne - First (testing)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
OT and perhaps it is just me, but I find that laying down Bollinger NV helps the wine become rounder and more enjoyable although it does not make it taste like a much better wine!

I often buy several cases a year via good Tesco promotions and am currently drinking Bollinger NV that I bought in 2014.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
of course not. Of all 'prestige' champagnes Dom Perignon is one of those that least do it for me comparatively but the fact it belongs to the same House as Moet does not make it 'vintage moet'. It has its own specific vineyards within the property, its own vinification, its own master, etc. I'd personally incidentally rate it higher than Grand Sičcle.

I know a lot of people swear by p2, but personally I doubt it's a realistic option nor, for that matter, a priority, and if money were to be invested in making F a better experience, I can think of loads of things both on the ground and in the air that I would see as more crucial myself
P2 is exceptional, it lasted 3 months last year on EK.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Yep, JAL is hard to beat on this (with Salon). I cellar a lot of Taittinger's Comtes and that was always lovely to see in QF F - delicate, light - for me just perfect.

AA (!) served Philipponnat Clos des Goisses 2006 in F earlier in the year, which is a champagne with a lot of pedigree (And tastes pretty fab....)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
A lot of rubbish seems to be creeping into this thread. There is no such thing as non-vintage Dom Perignon. It is the prestige cuvé for Moët & Chandon, but it is not vintage Moët (that is branded as such). To imply DP is poor quality because belongs to the biggest selling Champagne brand says a lot about views of other stable mates at LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton.

Previously we have had top marques prestige wines (e.g. LPGS) criticised for being non-vintage. This is more wine ignorance than wine snobbery.

This board can be very educational when those with genuine knowledge share their insight. This thread is not its finest hour.
Agree on your points except one; there is NV DP. It is sold in some night clubs and has a green flourescent label and tastes nothing like the vintage stuff. It tastes terrible actually. Was personally never a big fan of DP but the 2006 has proven to be much to our (myself and SWMBO) liking with its hints of caramel.

Many of the comments display ignorance and lack of knowledge.
If I was a dedicated wine maker I'd be offended.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Petrus
Agree on your points except one; there is NV DP. It is sold in some night clubs and has a green flourescent label and tastes nothing like the vintage stuff. It tastes terrible actually. Was personally never a big fan of DP but the 2006 has proven to be much to our (myself and SWMBO) liking with its hints of caramel.

Not aware Dom Perignon Luminous was available as NV? Do you have a product link?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:08 am

I'm not sure there is non vintage DP, it's only sold as vintage - currently on the 06, there will be no 07 and the 2009 is due out in November and will be released before the 08. The fancy labels are limited edition runs.

I agree re the lack of knowledge on here it's cringeworthy. BA would have to invest a lot of money to make the wine list better - EK spends hundreds of millions of dollars each year for wines to serve in 10 years time. It's good that they are making changes - hopefully with some new hard products to come ^
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BA used to invest a lot of money in its cellar. I remember being invited to a number of tastings with Michael Broadbent. Boy did I pick up on a lot of things at those events!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

I'm pleased you chipped in here, knowing our hitherto shared dislike of DP, I was uninspired when I heard rumour of DP making an appearance on BA but after reading your comments I'm now looking forward to trying it ^
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL

Sorry, Petrus, but I have to disagree. Dom Perignon is always a vintage champagne. The green fluorescent bottle you refer to is standard Dom Perignon, but with a button in the dimple at the bottom of the bottle (the punt), which causes the label to glow for about 8 hours. It's more an ostentatious way to show off in a club than anything else, but the contents of the bottle are still the same.

For those who don't know, vintage champagne is simply champagne made from grapes harvested in a single year. This is only done in exceptional years, of which there are normally 3-4 in a decade. Vintage champagnes must also be left to mature for at least 3 years, as opposed to 1.5 years for non-vintage. Dom Perignon is always left for at least 7-8 years for the 1st plenitude and around 18 for the 2nd (P2).

Funnily enough, the 2000 P2 was just released this week and I now keep seeing adverts for it everywhere!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Sorry, Petrus, but I have to disagree. Dom Perignon is always a vintage champagne. The green fluorescent bottle you refer to is standard Dom Perignon, but with a button in the dimple at the bottom of the bottle (the punt), which causes the label to glow for about 8 hours. It's more an ostentatious way to show off in a club than anything else, but the contents of the bottle are still the same.

For those who don't know, vintage champagne is simply champagne made from grapes harvested in a single year. This is only done in exceptional years, of which there are normally 3-4 in a decade. Vintage champagnes must also be left to mature for at least 3 years, as opposed to 1.5 years for non-vintage. Dom Perignon is always left for at least 7-8 years for the 1st plenitude and around 18 for the 2nd (P2).

Funnily enough, the 2000 P2 was just released this week and I now keep seeing adverts for it everywhere!
The p3 is out shortly but it's very, very expensive.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
BA used to invest a lot of money in its cellar. I remember being invited to a number of tastings with Michael Broadbent. Boy did I pick up on a lot of things at those events!
The OH and I were invited to a customer event at Le Gavroche a month or so ago, and I unexpectedly found myself sat next to Jancis Robinson, apparently she used to be on the BA wine "board" for some years, I should've asked why she resigned from the role.

My favourite Champagne on board in recent times was Henri Giraud Fut de Chene MV09 on ANA in May. I was going to have the Krug but this was really quite something, a huge masculine mouth, certainly bigger than Krug NV.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How interesting!

I think, but I may be wrong, that she was given the indication that her services were no longer necessary and the whole BA premium wine selection board just died a slow death.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Howard Long
The OH and I were invited to a customer event at Le Gavroche a month or so ago, and I unexpectedly found myself sat next to Jancis Robinson, apparently she used to be on the BA wine "board" for some years, I should've asked why she resigned from the role.

My favourite Champagne on board in recent times was Henri Giraud Fut de Chene MV09 on ANA in May. I was going to have the Krug but this was really quite something, a huge masculine mouth, certainly bigger than Krug NV.
She resigned due to BA's continual cost-cutting on their wines; she didn't want to damage her own 'brand' by being seen to associate herself with BA's wines at their (then) state. See this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14583323-post229.html

As for the talk on here "the ignorance on this thread is amazing", "this isn't the thread's finest hour", etc etc - I'm assuming this is because people are talking predominantly in terms of the wines they like, rather than basing it on a Parker's rating or some other such criteria as I'm sure you'll see fit to apply
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by London_traveller
As for the talk on here "the ignorance on this thread is amazing", "this isn't the thread's finest hour", etc etc - I'm assuming this is because people are talking predominantly in terms of the wines they like, rather than basing it on a Parker's rating or some other such criteria as I'm sure you'll see fit to apply
I think is more to do with the unwashed mixing up their NVs a Vs
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by London_traveller
She resigned due to BA's continual cost-cutting on their wines; she didn't want to damage her own 'brand' by being seen to associate herself with BA's wines at their (then) state. See this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14583323-post229.html

You know Parker doesn't review French wines now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.