Wiki Posts
Search

Name Change on Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Ex Marco Polo Club
Name Change on Booking

So after having someone not able to come on a trip, I wanted to try and transfer the ticket to someone else but BA told me all tickets are non-transferrable.

The ticket was non-refundable and I can only get about £35 worth of fees back. Do any of you have any recommendations on what best to do to get the most value out of this ticket since I cannot get a name change.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Unfortunately there is nothing to do if the person to whom the ticket was issued can't travel. You can either get taxes refunded or you can explore whether it is possible to change travel dates and , if there is a fee, it's worth it for you.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Well, the only real option to get any value is changing the itinerary for the same passenger if the fees for doing so are more reasonable than loosing the money entirely.

Keep in mind that you may be able to change destination and date. I've changed a return to DXB which I was unable to take (and was non-refundable) to a return to YVR. It cost a bit of money (but overall it meant I still retained 80% or so of the face value of the ticket.

I'd suggest have some flexible dates and destinations if you choose to go this way.

This will work better (and make more financial sense) for long haul, where the change fee is a smaller component of the total cost than it would be for short haul.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Where was the ticket issued? I know many US-issued tickets allow a credit for cancelled tickets, even non-refundable one.s.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:28 am

since there is little due to be refunded there are a couple of options
If the reason for not travelling is covered by their travel insurance they could claim on that (the "replacement" passenger would need to buy a new ticket at current price)
If not covered by insurance and the travel is far out, you could hold off in the hope of a schedule change that may allow a refund
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not seeking a name change, but a passenger change. That simply can't be done.

Your only option is to obtain the most value from the cancellation and the best bet there is to wait until the day of travel and cancel just before the check-in deadline. If the flight is cancelled or substantially delayed (changed), you have the option of a full refund. Same if there is a significant change between now and the scheduled date. Otherwise, it's just the taxes.

As others note, depending on the reason for the other person not coming, it may be possible for their or your (since you paid for the ticket) to claim. That will depend on their reason and the specific policy involved.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Find someone who wants to go, and have them change their name, legally, to the absent passenger's name. They'll need to have a new passport issued in that name too, obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.