Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Bid Now upgrade and tier points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum
Qantas Bid Now upgrade and tier points

Recently relocated to Australia and trying to figure this out. I've searched the forum but can only find info on BAEC and AA flight upgrades or QF upgrades with QF program.

Recently I flew from SIN - SYD. Economy ticket but decided to upgrade to Business in the lounge. BAEC credited with the business class tier points and miles Happy days even though when I asked in the lounge I was told no it would be economy points. So this got me thinking...

Now, I'm flying to PER and wondering if I should use the Bid Now option? I know Qantas say that you don't get enhanced tier points/status credits in the T&Cs but will BA still credit?
Should I remove my FF number rather and retro claim?
Or rather chance a paid upgrade at the airport?

Any info is welcomed
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:48 pm

I've used the QF bid upgrade on a couple of LHR-DXB-LHR sectors upgrading from Premium to Business. These have been confirmed in U inventory and while not being eligible for chauffeur service (this has to be booked at least 24hrs prior on chauffeur eligible routes and ticket types, bid upgrades confirm less than 24hrs before) they attracted business tier points (same as I/R class fare level so 140 ew) and the corresponding amount of avios. BAEC number in the booking throughout so no need to remove and re-enter. The only thing I will say is that bid upgrade uses an unknown algorithm (at least to me!) and you can't count on them showing up in a similar way that you might see a POUG offer to upgrade on a BA journey.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Bid now along with points upgrades on QF should provide according to original booking class. Sometimes the bank may make an error in your favour and best to just keep it to yourself.

same goes for AA.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Paros_fan
Or rather chance a paid upgrade at the airport?
If I remember correctly a paid upgrade at the airport on QF is generally at the full fare difference and change fee if applicable (or On Departure Upgrade for domestic flights using Qantas points).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Bid upgrade has posted at the upgraded level for me 5 or 6 times I'd guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.