Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Well, I guess only time will tell - but the aspirations as voiced by Cruz do seem rather far-fetched.

To my mind, when an airline's standards, and sense of innovation, have fallen to the extent that BA's have in recent times, it becomes very difficult to conceive of a level of gear change in motivation, focus, and attention to excellence in customer service (and by the very same management of course) that could somehow make it "fantastic, unbelievable, 10 out of 10".

Let's see what the next couple of years bring. Personally I'm not too optimistic.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by simons1
That says it all really. A peak train single from Brighton to London is Ł25.80.
Lol don’t compare uk train prices to anything please. The state of uk railways is a national disgrace !
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I have done Y in BA and Emirates within the last month and it isn't that hard to spot.

IFE and food are miles ahead for example. Tiny screen on BA with few choices, big screen on EK with massive choice. Planes are generally newer too, we had bulkhead seats on BA, my lad's screen wouldn't stay in position without being wedged with a strip of High Life magazine.

The one benefit on BA was 9 abreast on 777, however that is changing too. Plus the crew were good.

On the downside I saw Airbus have offered EK the new variant which is 13% more efficient but has 11 abreast....
Shhhh....you are disrupting Alex's narrative that Y travel is now just a price-led commodity, and there is absolutely no room for those providing a better service.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Many thanks to seat 13a for the summary, very helpful. I guess that is the risk, but arguably that is exactly what Emirates and Singapore do now: their reputation among the general public is very high, but going down the back of either airline isn't going to give many clues as to why that would be.
I've done shorthaul Y on SQ and it was very obvious. Save the non-blocked middle and lack of champagne it was an experience indistinguishable from CE in terms of food and service and better with regard to seat comfort, legroom.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:11 am
Suspended

Btw the 11 abreast proposal is for A380 lower deck and not B777.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess that is the risk, but arguably that is exactly what Emirates and Singapore do now: their reputation among the general public is very high, but going down the back of either airline isn't going to give many clues as to why that would be.
Forgive me, but how often do you spend time down the back of these carriers?

I seem to remember your trip in Y last year received much fanfare because it was your first ever longhaul Y? Has this unfortunate experience become routine?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I've done shorthaul Y on SQ and it was very obvious. Save the non-blocked middle and lack of champagne it was an experience indistinguishable from CE in terms of food and service and better with regard to seat comfort, legroom.
You make a valid point.

I think a very good percentage of those who hold SQ and EK in high regard have sometimes (and, in some cases, have only ever) flown with them down the back. But I have yet to meet anyone who considers the BA equivalent to be superior, although I suppose such people could be found.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
I guess that is the risk, but arguably that is exactly what Emirates and Singapore do now: their reputation among the general public is very high, but going down the back of either airline isn't going to give many clues as to why that would be.
Tim Clark is on record as saying he wants his economy passengers to get there in 'a certain amount of comfort'. Hence all fares include food, drinks and luggage, there's a good entertainment system (personally I think they've tried to do too much with it and responsiveness suffers with common system freezes, but it's still good overall), and a reasonable recline and seat pitch on A380s at least.

It's not J by any stretch of the imagination, but compared with (say) UA long-haul economy it's miles apart and does deserve the reputation.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load
I think a very good percentage of those who hold SQ and EK in high regard have sometimes (and, in some cases, have only ever) flown with them down the back. But I have yet to meet anyone who considers the BA equivalent to be superior, although I suppose such people could be found.
Me, definitely, but because of schedule not comfort. Painful though it is, I would still take BA Y to the Far East over a stop in the desert and two long flights. Same reason I prefer BA J to QR J. It's good enough for what it is.

Make the direct flights worse though, such as by stripping out food and booze, and it may change the equation.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:23 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
The poor unfortunate who ends up in the middle seat in the central row (3-5-3) is going to be in for a very, very uncomfortable flight.

To be honest it's this sort of airline trend which leads me to prefer not to travel at all, if the only possibility is doing it in long haul economy. It'll take a week to recover from the flight, not the best start to any holiday.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I have done Y in BA and Emirates within the last month and it isn't that hard to spot.

IFE and food are miles ahead for example. Tiny screen on BA with few choices, big screen on EK with massive choice. Planes are generally newer too, we had bulkhead seats on BA, my lad's screen wouldn't stay in position without being wedged with a strip of High Life magazine.

The one benefit on BA was 9 abreast on 777, however that is changing too. Plus the crew were good.

On the downside I saw Airbus have offered EK the new variant which is 13% more efficient but has 11 abreast....
I guess the question that we need to ask is how much more you'd be willing to pay for that better food and IFE.

And then also consider yourself paying for 4 additional family members on half your salary too.

An interesting anecdote re this and the post further above about not noticing EK and SQ being better in the back because it's there back, a friend recently did a round the world Y ticket NZ-HNL-NYC-LON-SIN-NZ and he, despite not being a travel nerd at all, pointed out that SQ where clearly the best. (He also flew on NZ, VS, UA, Virginia America ).

Would he go out of the way to book SQ again next time? Yes, but not for more than a hundred quid or so combined for the 5 of them
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by V10
The poor unfortunate who ends up in the middle seat in the central row (3-5-3) is going to be in for a very, very uncomfortable flight.

To be honest it's this sort of airline trend which leads me to prefer not to travel at all.....
Btw 5 in the centre block is not new, AA did it on B777 2-5-2. Some MD-11 also had 5 in the centre.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:29 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Btw 5 in the centre block is not new, AA did it on B777 2-5-2. Some MD-11 also had 5 in the centre.
Indeed not, and in that regard I've had the poor unfortunate experience (on AA).

Never, ever again.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
When I read the original post I thought how!, what! Then I took in the Airbus comment and realised it was in respect of the new 380+ or whatever it's called.

As to the 5 across mentioned in later posts, I think it makes more sense anyway, 3-3-3 = 3 bad middle seats, 2-5-2 = one really bad middle seat. You could also say that in a 3-3-3 two people have to push across two seats, whereas in a 2-5-2 only one does. In a 3-5-3 it's just all ugly.

Who knows how our views change with finances and times, but I'm at a point now where SH economy is fine, it's all poor anyway, but in LH it's WT+ as a minimum, or not travelling. Ten across 777 and nine across 787 seats are not for me at any price.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
QR Y on the 350 and 380 is excellent - comfy seats, great IFE, nice service (recognised as OWE and took meal order first!) and good food/drink (second service on DOH-LHR was a nice hot shawarma, whereas BA give you a mini chocolate bar!).

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 23, 2017 at 5:49 am Reason: to comply with rule 12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.