Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Entry Level Expert
They've dropped the ball here by not retaining the services of Emma Bunton after her little Comic Relief stint earlier this year.

I would listen to/do absolutely anything she told me to do in that uniform. Without question. Which is the point of a safety video, surely?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by London_traveller
I like it.

Except for the Rowan Atkinson bit at the end which is really laboured. And the bit in the middle with Rob Brydon, where demonstrating the life jacket, says words to the effect of "your lifejacket comes with a light and a whistle for attracting attention... if you're the kind of person that likes attracting attention".

Maybe I'm being an over-sensitive old sausage, but the only time I'd be using the life jacket and the light/whistle is in a proper emergency. You can create a comedy out of the whole safety demo thing but there needs to be some sensitivity within that, given the subject matter.
I really liked the directors cut and Rowan thanks to Mr Bean is a really recognised person in a lot of the world. So while I agree it's a tiny bit forced he does do that sort of thing very well. However explaining how to open the doors would be something I would have kept from the existing video. I'll miss the familiar "We're now going to explain the emergency procedures on this British Airways aircraft"

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jul 18, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I've watched the "Directors Cut" found here:

I think this safety video will attract the attention of at least some folk on the aircraft. Certainly more than the old one does today.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Not impressed. What's wrong with using the wonderful staff they do have to make the video?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:18 am

I liked it. Even coaxed out a few laughs at this early hour. I didn't mind the plug for charity at the end either as it was delivered with some charm and a light touch.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Well it's BA and I suppose at LHR it's always going to take at least 6 minutes to get to a runway. Seriously this is at least twice as long as it needs to be. Cut to 3 minutes max even if it means getting rid of one celebrity.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Well it's BA and I suppose at LHR it's always going to take at least 6 minutes to get to a runway. Seriously this is at least twice as long as it needs to be. Cut to 3 minutes max even if it means getting rid of one celebrity.
That's just the director's cut the onboard one will be shorter.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Right, I think there's a misunderstanding here. I understood the "director's cut" video to be essentially a publicity stunt for the real thing, with a lot of extra scenes, and omitting others. I assume that the inept "director" won't feature in the version shown on aircraft, but they will include other points (like exits, seatbelts, smoking etc).

However, clearly several others on this thread are viewing this as if it's the final product, and the same thing that will be shown onboard. Can one of the BA insiders clarify what elements of this trailer are actually included in the real thing?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
Right, I think there's a misunderstanding here. I understood the "director's cut" video to be essentially a publicity stunt for the real thing, with a lot of extra scenes, and omitting others. I assume that the inept "director" won't feature in the version shown on aircraft, but they will include other points (like exits, seatbelts, smoking etc).

However, clearly several others on this thread are viewing this as if it's the final product, and the same thing that will be shown onboard. Can one of the BA insiders clarify what elements of this trailer are actually included in the real thing?
I thought one of the BA staff already did say something to this? The version to be shown onboard will be shorter and with some of the fluff removed.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Who is Sandi? Nice but ... who?
I presume you're asking about Thandie Newton? The poor joke about her name beginning with a Th and the "director" having a slight speech impediment probably threw you...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought one of the BA staff already did say something to this? The version to be shown onboard will be shorter and with some of the fluff removed.
But extra content included too? Or just cutting out the fluff?

If it's just a cut down version of that, then I'd agree that it's rather light on actually delivering safety information...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

If it's just a cut down version of that, then I'd agree that it's rather light on actually delivering safety information...
Cut down I believe, I didn't think there was extra stuff in the onboard version but I could be wrong..
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
Not impressed. What's wrong with using the wonderful staff they do have to make the video?
People, frankly, don't pay attention to a no name telling them something. Regardless how wonderful their smile or demeanor.

A well known face, possibly even someone they enjoy or are a fan of, might just get their attention.

It's worked for several airlines.

Wow, you're judging the safety information delivery based on what is quite obviously just a comedy scetch showing a mock "making of" the safety video?

Obviously the ACTUAL safety video will have all the necessarry information in it! Give BA some credit for Pete's sake.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC
New safety video to debut in September featuring a number of famous British actors/comedians including Gordon Ramsay, Rowan Atkinson, Gillian Anderson, Warwick Davies among others.
I was surprised to read that Gillian Anderson was now British.

However, given that she appears on the FCO's list of Honorary British awards to foreign nationals - 2016 I guess that she is not British!

(And which of actor/comedian is Gordon Ramsay? )
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Bmused55
Wow, you're judging the safety information delivery based on what is quite obviously just a comedy scetch showing a mock "making of" the safety video?

Obviously the ACTUAL safety video will have all the necessarry information in it! Give BA some credit for Pete's sake.
Err, if you scroll up and read my earlier post, my original assumption was that it would include more content, but I was responding to KARFA's suggestion that the final version would not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.