Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club World overnight flights - how soon after takeoff can you convert to bed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World overnight flights - how soon after takeoff can you convert to bed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Found it I think

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
According to the ever helpful CIHY (and I can't find the post at the moment) once the wheels have left the ground the plane has "taken off".
​​​​​​*dusts off the post*

here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/9514922-post10.html

From my understanding the aircraft had left the ground and 5 seconds afterwards the lady reclined her seat. If this is correct there is no reason why any seat should not be reclined.
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Why thank you.
I'm just stating a fact.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
​​​​​​*dusts off the post*

here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/9514922-post10.html

​​​​​​​
^ Wasn't the one I was thinking of but the content of the message is the same.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I always enjoy watching the land recede out of the window after take off to put my flatbed down too quickly.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:45 pm

On TK I converted to a bed as soon as I could after a hour or so queuing to take off. I had the best night's sleep ever on a plane but missed the food and booze. On one of my very few BA J flights I did nearly the same after the crew gave me two starters to be getting on with. I was ill once (intrinsic rather than extrinsic) on a MH in F so slept (sort of) for the whole flight KUL to LHR so missed everything. If you're going to be ill do it in F as it's so much better.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Not sure it is still the case as i have not flown them for many years but in Virgin Upperclass you used to be able to take off and land in the bed position. There seat was the first with an airbag in the seatbelt and was approved for the bed position.

However kids were not as the crew world add a mini extension disabling the airbag as they were not approved for children.

I still prefer the ba CW seat though.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejet
Not sure it is still the case as i have not flown them for many years but in Virgin Upperclass you used to be able to take off and land in the bed position. There seat was the first with an airbag in the seatbelt and was approved for the bed position.

However kids were not as the crew world add a mini extension disabling the airbag as they were not approved for children.

I thought that you could be reclined on VS before take off but not in the bed mode.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I ended up drinking too much Piper in the Al Mourjan Lounge on a long layover in Doha, and apparently i went flat and started sleeping during taxi

QR crew just left me to it with a chuckle lol

whoops! Man the headache in the morning though!

I blame @Wozza2404
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I ended up drinking too much Piper in the Al Mourjan Lounge on a long layover in Doha, and apparently i went flat and started sleeping during taxi

QR crew just left me to it with a chuckle lol

whoops! Man the headache in the morning though!

I blame @Wozza2404

In fairness though, after spending 4 hours in the bar on a QR A380 (heading back from Bangkok possibly) I woke up to a crew member shaking me awake. We were at the gate, I was the last passenger, and I was curled up in a ball under a pile of blankets with my bed fully flat.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Wozza2404

In fairness though, after spending 4 hours in the bar on a QR A380 (heading back from Bangkok possibly) I woke up to a crew member shaking me awake. We were at the gate, I was the last passenger, and I was curled up in a ball under a pile of blankets with my bed fully flat.
You sound like a fun travelling partner! My wife once said she prefers WTP to First, since in WTP I don't touch the wines, but in First, if on holiday, make a good effort on tasting most of the list :-)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
If I'm in a seat that is out of view of cc once they've taken 'seats for take off' I have been known to put seat flat and have been asleep from before take off. Yes, I know, I know....
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Idiot comes to mind.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
According to the ever helpful CIHY (and I can't find the post at the moment) once the wheels have left the ground the plane has "taken off".
Be warned, though, that having your entire lower body above your heart, all the blood is going to rush to your head if you recline for the duration of the climb!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by joejet

I'm assuming that really was a few years ago with Virgin, and their previous Upper Class product - rather than their current seat (which they've had for quite a while now) which flips over to be a bed so you can't just easily slide from seat to bed.

I'm not even going to respond to your last point about the BA CW seat over VS! - unless you mean the old VS slopey seat, in which case, yes.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Be warned, though, that having your entire lower body above your heart, all the blood is going to rush to your head if you recline for the duration of the climb!
Just one of the benefits of a CW window seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.