Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LGW runway closed (ish) [17 July 2017] - BA diversions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: ex-Silver, now Blue. VS: Gold

LGW's runway was shut an hour or so ago:

14.30: Temporary runway closure

An Air Canada Rouge flight to Toronto returned to Gatwick after experiencing a burst tyre on take-off. The aircraft has landed but our runway is closed to allow for a runway inspection, as is standard procedure in these circumstances.
Was idly looking at FlightRadar24 when I noticed BA2238 LIM-LGW was going into LHR. Aircraft seem to be landing at LGW again though; not sure how many aircraft were actually diverted.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by Flaps Down
LGW's runway was shut an hour or so ago:

Was idly looking at FlightRadar24 when I noticed BA2238 LIM-LGW was going into LHR. Aircraft seem to be landing at LGW again though; not sure how many aircraft were actually diverted.
Gatwick airport Twitter page now reports runway open again but delays to be expected.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Iberia Oro, Finnair Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm sitting in the lounge, the Air Canada plane is still blocking the runway and aircraft are taking off and landing from the second runway (that's normally a taxiway).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:01 am

Why did the flight return to LGW?

From my simplistic view.

Landing at LGW or Toronto should be no different with a punctured tyre.

Continuing to Toronto would burn off the fuel and mean a lighter aircraft on landing. Better for the remaining tyres
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Other tyres could be damaged, or debris from the tyre could have caused additional damage to the aircraft.

You do not want a damaged tyre exploding in the aircraft, in the wheel well. This is extremely dangerous and has caused several aircraft losses.

You also do not want to discover additional damage later on, further from land, that makes the aircraft difficult or unsafe to fly.

A landing at the starting airport may well be the prudent course of action.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:42 pm

Arrivals and departure boards at LGW are showing severe delays and many cancellations. Significant knock-on disruption expected at one of the busiest weeks of the year.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Non-BA flights are also affected; the last Norwegian CPH-LGW of the day was cancelled, probably after accumulating too much delay earlier.

One might want to try to fly to Heathrow instead :-)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by bricksoft
Why did the flight return to LGW?

From my simplistic view.

Landing at LGW or Toronto should be no different with a punctured tyre.

Continuing to Toronto would burn off the fuel and mean a lighter aircraft on landing. Better for the remaining tyres
Given that you were not in the flight deck and were not privy to the information that the flight crew had at the time, I think this one falls under the aphorism, "it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, rather than to open it and leave them in no doubt"
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by rbhout
I'm sitting in the lounge, the Air Canada plane is still blocking the runway and aircraft are taking off and landing from the second runway (that's normally a taxiway).
Hopefully it's really a runway and isn't occupied when attempting to land? A reference to this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...r-history.html where it appears they overflew a waiting plane on the taxiway with only 26 feet of clearance before doing a go around.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Hopefully it's really a runway and isn't occupied when attempting to land? A reference to this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...r-history.html where it appears they overflew a waiting plane on the taxiway with only 26 feet of clearance before doing a go around.
That figure seems to get lower every time it is reported - so I really doubt it is true.

LGW has two runways. 26L/08R is normally used. 26R/08L is only used when the other is out of action like today. In normal operation 26R/08L is treated as a taxiway so no clearance required to enter or cross.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:31 pm

Can 26R/08L handle all aircraft types landing at LGW including the larger ones?

I know there have been several diversions today, just wondering if they were all due to capacity or if some were because the aircraft cannot safely land on the shorter runway? (I haven't checked what was/wasn't diverted.)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by KARFA
That figure seems to get lower every time it is reported - so I really doubt it is true.
Apparently the preliminary NTSB update says the lowest point for the AC plane was 81 feet above the ground and a 787 tail is 55 feet tall.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:47 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Here is in the info on it.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4abc3ac0&opt=0
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Given that you were not in the flight deck and were not privy to the information that the flight crew had at the time, I think this one falls under the aphorism, "it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, rather than to open it and leave them in no doubt"
Thank you for highlighting my foolishness. But I need to point out that you have done nothing to educate me about the matter.

I was simply asking a question about a situation I didn't fully understand. Does that make me foolish or show a curiosity to learn more? I was hoping that a helpful forum on FT would give me some information that would be interesting and enlightening.

The reply from Flatlander was informative (Thanks to Flatlander)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bricksoft
Thank you for highlighting my foolishness. But I need to point out that you have done nothing to educate me about the matter.

I was simply asking a question about a situation I didn't fully understand. Does that make me foolish or show a curiosity to learn more? I was hoping that a helpful forum on FT would give me some information that would be interesting and enlightening.
To be fair you were not just asking a question, you went on to say why in your opinion they should have continued on.

Now I don't know what line of work you are in, but imagine someone was sat over your shoulder constantly giving an opinion on what you are doing and how you should do it despite not knowing anything about it - do you see where the frustration comes from now?

Not that Waterhorse requires any defence from me, but if you look at the "Ask the staff" thread he has answered many questions from FT'ers and provided quite a bit of education and information - so he isn't someone that could be described as unhelpful with regard to this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.