Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will LON-DTW (Detroit) ever be on the cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will LON-DTW (Detroit) ever be on the cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Interestingly, although may be not surprisingly, Delta have just begun a new MUC-DTW service - so speaks to a growing demand.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm pretty sure that I flew LHR-DTW-IAH on BA in the early 2000s.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Flew BA LHR-DTW via Montreal on a Lockheed Tristan in the 1990s
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by ANstar
VA couldn't make it work even with the DL feed so I doubt BA can make it work at the moment.
VS served the route for about a year - it was a successful to a degree but the flight was swapped back to DL (giving them 2x daily) in exchange for the LHR-SEA route.

I can't really see BA serving it, it's a Delta hub and I doubt there's much point-to-point traffic.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
BA pulled the route in late 2007 due to the declining automotive industry in Detroit at the time. The subsequent "crisis" was obviously harder still on the Detroit economy.

However, as other posters note, I think BA will have other priorities in the US, rather than a return to DTW.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My next trip is in 3 weeks... it is London to Escanaba, Michigan. The only sensible way to do that trip right now is Delta to DTW then internal to ESC. I would like to have flown with BA to DTW but it is Delta or nothing. So instead, this time, I am flying LHR - ORD with BA and driving the 300 miles to Escanaba... OK in summer but no good in winter with the snow. I'd really like to see LHR - DTW but I understand the arguments why it might not be commercially viable.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
My next trip is in 3 weeks... it is London to Escanaba, Michigan. The only sensible way to do that trip right now is Delta to DTW then internal to ESC. I would like to have flown with BA to DTW but it is Delta or nothing. So instead, this time, I am flying LHR - ORD with BA and driving the 300 miles to Escanaba... OK in summer but no good in winter with the snow. I'd really like to see LHR - DTW but I understand the arguments why it might not be commercially viable.
Even if BA flew to DTW they would not use DL for interline feed.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
i used to travel regularly (4x p.a.) to DTW. The non-stop routes from LHR were on BA as discussed and NW. DTW was definitely Air-NW with NW controlling most of the airport's facilities one way or the other.

Anybody remember the BA lounge in the former international terminal? If you took the escalator up from check-in, you passed the lounge on the right! It must have been on the mezzanine and not accessible from the escalator. It was barely adequate but superior to LH's F lounge.

In the end, I used BA or AA to ORD, transferring to DTW on AA.

Of course, NW was subsumed into DL.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
I think your issue there is not that BA doesn't fly LHR-DTW, but that AA doesn't fly ORD-ESC.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
According to my flight log, I flew MCO-DTW-LGW in July 1999. I assume that must have been on NorthWest?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I think your issue there is not that BA doesn't fly LHR-DTW, but that AA doesn't fly ORD-ESC.
Yes... that would work too
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:09 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Lufthansa manages a rather successful year-round FRA-DTW flight though. (Despite having no relationship, nor any alliance ties, with DL.) In fact, LH even operates it's own Business and Senator lounges at DTW. Guess those auto industry contracts are quite lucrative!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Lufthansa manages a rather successful year-round FRA-DTW flight though. (Despite having no relationship, nor any alliance ties, with DL.) In fact, LH even operates it's own Business and Senator lounges at DTW. Guess those auto industry contracts are quite lucrative!
Not only that, but it's also been seasonally F aircraft. Detroit , as a city, may not be so hot (DTW is not in Detroit), but the auto industry is doing quite well.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by capin
I'm pretty sure that I flew LHR-DTW-IAH on BA in the early 2000s.
This is the last route I believe BA operated to DTW, albeit from LGW rather than LHR (as with all Texan routes).
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Deltus
According to my flight log, I flew MCO-DTW-LGW in July 1999. I assume that must have been on NorthWest?
The summer of 1999 had a 747 on the BA202 DTW-LGW. How times change!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.