FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Refunds on RFS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1854477-refunds-rfs.html)

darthlemsip Jul 17, 2017 2:43 am

Refunds on RFS?

Hi all,

In the last month I've had to cancel two RFS bookings I had, both (well) outside the 24 hour cooling off period.

I was fully expecting to see nothing refunded on an ET one, and £15 on one in CE, given there is supposed to be a £35 charge. However, when checking my credit card statement today, I can see that I've been refunded the full amount for both.

I'm not GGL, so is this something new that I've missed, or is it a mistake that played out in my favour?

nufnuf77 Jul 17, 2017 3:09 am

Sounds like a mistake, so you better keep quiet :)

windowontheAside Jul 17, 2017 3:14 am

I thought it had always been this way?

KARFA Jul 17, 2017 3:22 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 28569585)
I thought it had always been this way?

No. An RFS refund beyond the cooling off period and prior to 24 hours before the flights should result in the refund of all the avios and a refund of any cash remaining after the £35 per person cancellation fee has been deducted. So for a return RFS which cost £35 + avios you would end up just getting the avios back since the RFS fee was all taken by the cancellation fee. If the amount of cash you paid is less than the cancellation fee you aren't asked to cure the difference.

For GGLs the cancellation fee is not payable so a GGL would get all the cash and avios back with no deductions.

As nufnuf77 noted, the OP's refunds sounds like a mistake.

windowontheAside Jul 17, 2017 3:24 am

Ok thanks. I think I've benefitted from this one too then :)

darthlemsip Jul 17, 2017 3:25 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28569597)
No. An RFS refund beyond the cooling off period and prior to 24 hours before the flights should result in the refund of all the avios and a refund of any cash remaining after the £35 per person cancellation fee has been deducted. So for a return RFS which cost £35 + avios you would end up just getting the avios back since the RFS fee was all taken by the cancellation fee. If the amount of cash you paid is less than the cancellation fee you aren't asked to cure the difference.

For GGLs the cancellation fee is not payable so a GGL would get all the cash and avios back with no deductions.

As nufnuf77 noted, the OP's refunds sounds like a mistake.

That's exactly what I was expecting. Bit of a result all round then (bar having to cancel obviously)

KARFA Jul 17, 2017 3:26 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 28569600)
Ok thanks. I think I've benefitted from this one too then :)

Ah ok. Well now you know I do hope you call up and give the cash back ;)

fbruno Jul 17, 2017 7:34 am

I was wondering what happens when refunding a ticket paid with cash+miles if the airport tax is lower than the BA redeposit fee.

Will they still only keep the amount paid for the airport taxes/RFS, or will they also calculate the redeposit fee over the amount paid on cash+avios?
(Or do they re-deposit the "purcahsed" avios into your account, like IHG does?).

KARFA Jul 17, 2017 7:40 am

Originally Posted by fbruno (Post 28570174)
I was wondering what happens when refunding a ticket paid with cash+miles if the airport tax is lower than the BA redeposit fee.

Will they still only keep the amount paid for the airport taxes/RFS, or will they also calculate the redeposit fee over the amount paid on cash+avios?
(Or do they re-deposit the "purcahsed" avios into your account, like IHG does?).

So I think you are asking about an avios & money booking - i.e. a reward booking where you have paid more cash to reduce the amount of avios required?

For an avios & money booking you will get back all the cash supplement, and any cancellation fee will only be taken from the taxes/fees/charges (TFC) element. If the TFC element is less than the £35 per person they don't take the remainder from the cash supplement. In fact you will actually get two credits back on your card, one of which will be the cash supplement and the other will be any remainder of the TFC if there is some left once the cancellation fee is deducted. You would also get all the avios you actually paid refunded.