Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Guide to BA at Cairo airport - ex-CAI trips

Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by aktchi
Yes. As with much of security theater, time spent in the line is often much longer than that spent in actual checking. So, if you leave a few mins early, you should be fine.

However, it is certainly annoying and possibly poointless. I just passed thru CAI and recall having 4 security checks in all.
My girlfriend and I passed through Cairo earlier this year. We both had a cigarette lighter in our bags, which is generally OK the world over with some exceptions (China for one). We passed through all the various security checks and went to the lounge. On the way back to the departures area, ex-lounge security pulled my girlfriend's lighter and made her throw it away, while mine went through undetected, alongside a 500ml bottle of water I'd forgotten about. Pure theatre.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
You could Meet & Assist for arrival and use their lounge until check in opens. In fact you could probably just pay them for departure and they would bring you your boarding pass. http://www.cairo-airport.com/service..._servicese.asp
How much did you have to pay for Meet & Assist? The link quotes the price as "USD 50 =EGP 300",
except that now a days USD 50 = EGP 900. So I am not sure if we have to pay USD50 or EGP300?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:08 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aktchi
How much did you have to pay for Meet & Assist? The link quotes the price as "USD 50 =EGP 300",
except that now a days USD 50 = EGP 900. So I am not sure if we have to pay USD50 or EGP300?
Booking email says Payment in Egyptian pounds equivalent USD exchange rate in the central bank on payment date.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
there is no consistent approach to security, white guys are treated differently to other creeds etc
I mentioned that in CAI the initial security screener showed me the x-ray of my suitcase and asked me to show him my electric toothbrush and something else (which I guessed was a tiny USB drive which he accepted but seemed unconvinced it was what was in the x-ray). It was in AMM transit security that we felt that being white was making a difference. They did a full secondary on every item in our suitcases. It was almost as bad as having the Arm of Doom in LHR.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Have you ever been to Cairo airport (I am certain you have) ? TBH I couldn't give a F how many times they want to check the stupid stamp and 50% of the time the guy is not even there to check it and another 50% of the time doesn't even want to look at it. Therefore, the check is pointless.

In my last transit trip through Cairo the EK guy (eventually) picked me up in the transit area. He took me all the way back to checkin. The first security guard was eating his dinner with 2 cleaners so was no longer interested. The security office next to immigration was busy and the "Chief" couldn't be bothered to get out of his chair to check my credentials and just waved his hand.

So, pointless is exactly the word. If you don't have a security culture ingrained through the whole organization then it doesn't matter how hard one guy tries if the others let him down. I am sure CAI airport bucks itself up when the inspections happen but there is no consistent approach to security, white guys are treated differently to other creeds etc and if you believe that Cairo is a first world airport with first world security then maybe you shouldn't.
Things are indeed done differently in Egypt. But, generally speaking, things get done, things work. Of all those who have gone through the airport on money-saving, two-ticket connections we've heard an awful lot about inconvenience, a fair bit of huffing and puffing about the system, a measure of naivety - but so far everyone seems to have made it. Well, outside occasions where circumstances conspired to stymie well laid plans

Whatever security is in place in Cairo suits that environment, that culture. Ad hoc profiling clearly takes place and partly addresses the rather ugly comment about "white guys". There you're looking at the vertical cut of caucasian rather than a series of assessments across race.

It's not the way things are done in Europe. Indeed, that type of profiling is anathema to our security services in the UK: but Cairo isn't the UK.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
My issue seems to be arriving so late in the evening - I'm happy to be contradicted however I don't fancy the idea of waiting in a transit holding pen at CAI for several hours before Etihad staff become available to give me access back through into departures. Check-in only opens 3 hours before departure.
I'd seriously consider changing flight times and get out of the airport and into a hotel room. A few hours' kip and a shower and getting away from everyone! It's $25 to get into the country, really no faff involved at all and upwards of $50 for a hotel.

but if you can't change, the bummer would be the very real faff of landside checkin at 4 am. after only an hour or so in bed.

So if without a change in flight times, you'll have to pay it by ear and just settle down with a book in the transit area. Who knows? The transfer gods might be smiling...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Good old Cairo. Mental place. Check in is indeed a bit of a zoo.
I thought this was an exaggeration... until this morning! Utter mess. While on the way in everything went smoothly (Novotel rep waiting for me and whisked me through immigration skipping all queues - other passengers didn't look impressed), the departure was a different story. I'm glad to be back
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by wmaciej
I thought this was an exaggeration... until this morning! Utter mess. While on the way in everything went smoothly (Novotel rep waiting for me and whisked me through immigration skipping all queues - other passengers didn't look impressed), the departure was a different story. I'm glad to be back
I was also on that flight this morning, I was actually a bit worried about doing an ex cai trip so my expectations were pretty low, but it was better than I expected, still fairly hectic though. Bonus was they opened up the F cabin for J.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sounds like booking meet and assist is required on both arrival and departure.

Is there a single queue to enter any terminal?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Is there any update on Bluetooth headphones being allowed in the cabin Ex CAI.

I called YouFirst, and the agent was not sure. I was placed on hold so they could ask their colleagues and the consensus was that they would be fine, but as they are not specifically mentioned in their listings, that comment could not be taken as binding. The agent said they were going to mail "someone" who could provide a definite answer, and mail me within a couple of days with that.

I am just about to follow that up, but was hoping somebody on here can offer a definitive answer as opposed to an opinion. They are just too expensive to simply give up at the gate.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Sounds like booking meet and assist is required on both arrival and departure.

Is there a single queue to enter any terminal?
I did a B2B out of Cairo a couple of weeks ago.

Outbound : Arrived fine and easy to find the visa (bank) desks in the immigration hall. I bought 3 visa's to keep some for other occasions. Very slow queue to get through and would certainly have benefitted from being able to skip the 20-25 minute wait. Rather chaotic. Once through it was easy to exit the terminal, cross the road and walk across the car park to the Le Meridien. I didn't feel the need to enter T3 and use the bridge over.

Inbound : I could have stayed in bed about 20 minutes longer but wanted to be through in time so left hotel about 6:20 for 8:00 departure. Easy walk over to terminal, numerous 'security' checks and was into departures pretty easy. The lounge isn't worth spending time in to be honest. Gate check to remove laptops etc from people who weren't aware of the requirement.

Overall : If Le Meridien/other hotel do a Meet And Greet to skip immigration queue then it's certainly worth it. I wouldn't bother with any Meet And Greet/Assist where the person just stands with you in the queue, as the entry form and visa are hardly difficult. If staying at the Le Meridien I really can't see the point of taking the hotel shuttle bus considering it's barely 5 minutes walk away.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Is there any update on Bluetooth headphones being allowed in the cabin Ex CAI.

I called YouFirst, and the agent was not sure. I was placed on hold so they could ask their colleagues and the consensus was that they would be fine, but as they are not specifically mentioned in their listings, that comment could not be taken as binding. The agent said they were going to mail "someone" who could provide a definite answer, and mail me within a couple of days with that.

I am just about to follow that up, but was hoping somebody on here can offer a definitive answer as opposed to an opinion. They are just too expensive to simply give up at the gate.

I took my large Plantronics Bluetooth headset in my carry on luggage in September when flying CAI to LHR with BA and had no problems with security.

Last edited by arpy; Oct 9, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:52 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Overall : If Le Meridien/other hotel do a Meet And Greet to skip immigration queue then it's certainly worth it. I wouldn't bother with any Meet And Greet/Assist where the person just stands with you in the queue, as the entry form and visa are hardly difficult. If staying at the Le Meridien I really can't see the point of taking the hotel shuttle bus considering it's barely 5 minutes walk away.
I posted the entire Meet & Assist process here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28890241-post89.html

I will add the when you arrive at the VIP terminal for departure they take you upstairs to where the other lounges are but have several just for Meet & Assist customers.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
I posted the entire Meet & Assist process here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28890241-post89.html

I will add the when you arrive at the VIP terminal for departure they take you upstairs to where the other lounges are but have several just for Meet & Assist customers.
Thanks - could be useful. There are several purported "Meet and Assist" - is this the one you used?

https://capsegypt.com/p/services

I just want to be sure I'm paying for the right one.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:08 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Thanks - could be useful. There are several purported "Meet and Assist" - is this the one you used?

https://capsegypt.com/p/services

I just want to be sure I'm paying for the right one.
The meet and greet by hotels are free, both Le Meridien and the Novotel offer it. They skip all queues which is invaluable!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.