Go Back   > > >

Old Jul 16, 17, 11:26 am   #1
Original Poster

Meal service on a 9:40 departure [to IAD]

Hello. I'm flying BA217 from LHR-IAD in Club World. It's a 9:40 departure. Will the main meal be breakfast or lunch? I wasn't sure what time BA starts serving lunch and couldn't find anything online or on my itinerary.
CurbedEnthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 11:29 am   #2

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Not 100% sure but I think the cutoff for breakfast is usually flights scheduled for 0930 or earlier
so3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 11:31 am   #3

Programs: BAEC Silver, Amex Plat
Was on this flight recently in F and it was a lunch service. Presume it would be the same in CW?
ben1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 12:58 pm   #4
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, A3 G, SPG PL, HH D, IHG PL
Should be lunch and afternoon tea if I remember correctly.
nufnuf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 1:00 pm   #5

Programs: LH, BA, AA, SQ, UA, HYATT, HH, IHG, SPG
I flew two weeks ago AA metal flight from LHR to DFW AA51 with departure time of 9:15am. Immediately after departure a full lunch service was offered with no breakfast option at all.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 1:12 pm   #6
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer View Post
I flew two weeks ago AA metal flight from LHR to DFW AA51 with departure time of 9:15am. Immediately after departure a full lunch service was offered with no breakfast option at all.
I had the option of an AA LHR-ORD flight departing at 8:40 and it was a breakfast flight. That being said, I'd guess the cutoff times for meals on AA are different from BA.
Old Jul 16, 17, 3:55 pm   #7
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think it's just BA117 to JFK that has a brunch option departing LHR, thereafter it's lunch for everything else. Certainly my recent LGW-FLL service, which leaves at 09:25, was lunch plus afternoon tea (including scones). BA117 leaves around 08:30 and is usually the first BA longhaul service of the day, SEA follows at 09:15 approx (and that I believe is lunch). AA run a couple of early services to Chicago, notably one at 07:45 which gets into Chicago at 10:20, which is handy for some itineraries.

The menu should be in MMB if departing withing a month.
corporate-wage-slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 17, 7:52 pm   #8

I flew this last week. It's lunch.
yuripa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 12:47 am   #9

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Given that normally you have 30 minutes of taxi time and an hour before the starter is served (at best these days, it was nearly two hours in F to IAD the other day), people will probably have been awake for like five hours before starting their meal on the plane. Most people will have opted to have a substantial breakfast at home/at the airport.

Given that (on both AA and BA), breakfast flights are by far the worst meal offerings, I wouldn't complain at the early changeover to lunch.
sts603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 3:02 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, MUCCIx4, and some other stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuripa87 View Post
I flew this last week. It's lunch.

We've used BA217 many times over the years - always lunch.
T8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 3:58 am   #11

Programs: BA Oneworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
Given that (on both AA and BA), breakfast flights are by far the worst meal offerings, I wouldn't complain at the early changeover to lunch.
I agree. I assume there is wine on offer with lunch so that would be a bonus. I have a booking on a 9.40AM flight from LHR to New York and I too hope that lunch will be served rather than breakfast.
BrianWBrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 4:15 am   #12

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil View Post
I agree. I assume there is wine on offer with lunch so that would be a bonus. I have a booking on a 9.40AM flight from LHR to New York and I too hope that lunch will be served rather than breakfast.
That flight will also be lunch. I think the only long-haul flight with breakfast service as the first meal FROM LHR is the first JFK departure (8:20 AM or so).

One note though, alcohol is always on full offer on any flight regardless of meal served.
sts603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 17, 5:56 am   #13
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts603 View Post
No complaints here. I know people debate the AA vs. BA J cabin incessantly (and AA usually wins), I selected BA over AA because (thanks to FT) I've confirmed the BA flight will be a lunch service, whereas the earlier AA flight will have breakfast. Eating a boring omelette and some cut fruit seems like such a waste on a premium flight. Thanks everyone.