FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Meal service on a 9:40 departure [to IAD] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1854254-meal-service-9-40-departure-iad.html)

CurbedEnthusiasm Jul 16, 2017 11:26 am

Meal service on a 9:40 departure [to IAD]

Hello. I'm flying BA217 from LHR-IAD in Club World. It's a 9:40 departure. Will the main meal be breakfast or lunch? I wasn't sure what time BA starts serving lunch and couldn't find anything online or on my itinerary.

so3003 Jul 16, 2017 11:29 am

Not 100% sure but I think the cutoff for breakfast is usually flights scheduled for 0930 or earlier

ben1991 Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am

Was on this flight recently in F and it was a lunch service. Presume it would be the same in CW?

nufnuf77 Jul 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Should be lunch and afternoon tea if I remember correctly.

NA-Flyer Jul 16, 2017 1:00 pm

I flew two weeks ago AA metal flight from LHR to DFW AA51 with departure time of 9:15am. Immediately after departure a full lunch service was offered with no breakfast option at all.

CurbedEnthusiasm Jul 16, 2017 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer (Post 28567402)
I flew two weeks ago AA metal flight from LHR to DFW AA51 with departure time of 9:15am. Immediately after departure a full lunch service was offered with no breakfast option at all.

I had the option of an AA LHR-ORD flight departing at 8:40 and it was a breakfast flight. That being said, I'd guess the cutoff times for meals on AA are different from BA.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 16, 2017 3:55 pm

I think it's just BA117 to JFK that has a brunch option departing LHR, thereafter it's lunch for everything else. Certainly my recent LGW-FLL service, which leaves at 09:25, was lunch plus afternoon tea (including scones). BA117 leaves around 08:30 and is usually the first BA longhaul service of the day, SEA follows at 09:15 approx (and that I believe is lunch). AA run a couple of early services to Chicago, notably one at 07:45 which gets into Chicago at 10:20, which is handy for some itineraries.

The menu should be in MMB if departing withing a month.

yuripa87 Jul 16, 2017 7:52 pm

I flew this last week. It's lunch.

sts603 Jul 17, 2017 12:47 am

Given that normally you have 30 minutes of taxi time and an hour before the starter is served (at best these days, it was nearly two hours in F to IAD the other day), people will probably have been awake for like five hours before starting their meal on the plane. Most people will have opted to have a substantial breakfast at home/at the airport.

Given that (on both AA and BA), breakfast flights are by far the worst meal offerings, I wouldn't complain at the early changeover to lunch.

T8191 Jul 17, 2017 3:02 am

Originally Posted by yuripa87 (Post 28568585)
I flew this last week. It's lunch.

^

We've used BA217 many times over the years - always lunch.

BrianWBrazil Jul 17, 2017 3:58 am

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 28569325)
Given that (on both AA and BA), breakfast flights are by far the worst meal offerings, I wouldn't complain at the early changeover to lunch.

I agree. I assume there is wine on offer with lunch so that would be a bonus. I have a booking on a 9.40AM flight from LHR to New York and I too hope that lunch will be served rather than breakfast.

sts603 Jul 17, 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil (Post 28569663)
I agree. I assume there is wine on offer with lunch so that would be a bonus. I have a booking on a 9.40AM flight from LHR to New York and I too hope that lunch will be served rather than breakfast.

That flight will also be lunch. I think the only long-haul flight with breakfast service as the first meal FROM LHR is the first JFK departure (8:20 AM or so).

One note though, alcohol is always on full offer on any flight regardless of meal served.

CurbedEnthusiasm Jul 17, 2017 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 28569325)

No complaints here. I know people debate the AA vs. BA J cabin incessantly (and AA usually wins), I selected BA over AA because (thanks to FT) I've confirmed the BA flight will be a lunch service, whereas the earlier AA flight will have breakfast. Eating a boring omelette and some cut fruit seems like such a waste on a premium flight. Thanks everyone.