Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Irish wedding in Greece ‘ruined’ by British Airways’ error

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Irish wedding in Greece ‘ruined’ by British Airways’ error

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
..if they got it wrong they would sort it out for them.
I actually do think that this what would have happened eventually.
I don't think as customers people should have to consider the "risk" that the company you hand your cash over to won't deliver...
A fair point. I wouldn't expect it but I'd consider it a remote possibility when we are talking about airlines.
But then I had my fair share of disappointing experiences.
When I buy a pint in the pub (a "non-essential item") I don't take into account the risk that the barman might take my money and then pour the pint down the drain...
If the non-delivery of a barman could ruin my life, I'd never go to a pub. I would indeed consider the possibility of nondelivery.
Originally Posted by V10
It's not a demand, but nonetheless the logical conclusion of your argument is that only people who are able to absorb any additional costs incurred due to issues outwith their control and potentially write these costs off for an indefinite period are in a position to travel.
No, they ere merely are in a position not to have their happiness / life / marriage /wedding etc ruined when a minor hiccup happens.
This is spectacularly unhelpful and ultimately doesn't work in the long term interests of the airlines either.
True. I have ambition to help either - the subject caused a lot of the chaos herself by being too activist and short on funds at the same time. And I will certainly not support the airline.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Hmmm

I'll be flying from DUB to Texas with BA for my wedding most likely (although AA is looking attractive instead after reading this ,changing at ORD instead of LHR is no big deal) ,it won't be through group sales and as an experienced traveller I know to query the lack of ticket numbers but I'd be livid if BA first messed it up and then claimed they could do nothing to correct it as it's a weekend. Teams that deal with medical repatriations and ships crew reservations work weekends at BA, as many groups are leisure based so are more likely to involve weekend travel it is deeply absurd that there is not even minimal weekend cover for groups even if off shore . BA are a global business not a small family business with limited resources.
If BA choose not to empower their outstations that is understandable but having chosen that stance they need to provide support to those outstations to resolve issues during normal operating times (after all BA don't fly Mon-Fri only , if they did their stance might be more understandable)
As for the delay in refunding and the paltry amount, completely unacceptable. I hope they get a judge who awards a decent amount for time spent and distress. No one wants the abiding memory of their wedding to be how BA screwed things up after all.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by mario
As such, they should be refunded of all out of of pocket expenses and be given 400 EUR compensation each (half if they are arrived within three hours of the original arrival time, that's not clear).
I take it that they travelled on their original onward leg to Rhodes.

However I don't think BA can apply the 50% haircut: the airline has to reroute them, not rely on them rerouting themselves.

When passengers are offered re-routing to their final
destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article 8, the
arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival
time of the flight originally booked
(b) by three hours, in respect of all intra-Community flights of
more than 1 500 kilometres and for all other flights
between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres;
the operating air carrier may reduce the compensation
provided for in paragraph 1 by 50 %.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:59 am
J S

BA's offer would be paltry if issued promptly. The fact that it took an inquiry from a journalist and the threat of negative press makes it both stingy and ill advised. They could have done something magnanimous and in the spirit of the wedding and honeymoon they disrupted. If I were their PR person, I would have suggested two free first class tickets wherever BA flies. Sure, that could have cost the airline more if used on a sold out flight, but you might have turned this into a positive with a story about how much the couple enjoyed their trip to XXXX and the fact that BA is now part of a happy story.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by J S
BA's offer would be paltry if issued promptly. The fact that it took an inquiry from a journalist and the threat of negative press makes it both stingy and ill advised. They could have done something magnanimous and in the spirit of the wedding and honeymoon they disrupted. If I were their PR person, I would have suggested two free first class tickets wherever BA flies. Sure, that could have cost the airline more if used on a sold out flight, but you might have turned this into a positive with a story about how much the couple enjoyed their trip to XXXX and the fact that BA is now part of a happy story.
The BA reply would of course be along the lines of "we have to be fair to all customers so take a hike and we look forward to seeing you again on another BA flight soon".
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by weero
Yes .. but BA outstations act against basic intuition in my experience. I was IDBed in NRT despite the agents confirming that they can 'see' the reservation, ticket # ... but they could not see the payment for my return flight...
So that part of the story, with the station acting helpless sounds credible to me.

They likely did not. It seems as if the passengers overreacted and did not let the airline handle the issue. There tons of travel options to Rhodes ... arrive 12 hours later, collect the mandatory comp, enjoy life.
But they chose to patch their travels incompetently.

Another thing, I don't get - if money is such an issue, why do the wedding abroad? It seems like inviting trouble. As a poor student, I canned the majority of my plans as they felt outside the reach of my finances. I don't get it why people are taking these risks for nonessential items.
That is a fairly ridiculous assertion. It sounds to me like they budgeted responsibly for something they wanted to do, and were assuring that everything fit their means. That they didn't somehow book a trip on credit ahead of time, and instead saved up and were booking after their destination wedding (which is often much cheaper than a local wedding) shows that they were engaging in a type of frugality that most people don't anymore.

It should not be a contingency plan that the airline completely screws up your booking, and then pretends your confirmation isn't enough.

Originally Posted by J S
Yes.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
..It should not be a contingency plan that the airline completely screws up your booking, and then pretends your confirmation isn't enough.
Why not?

Airlines have stranded me on numerous occasions and I was often out of the expenses for months. So I'd linearly extrapolate that it could have happened for my wedding as well. It did not but it did happen for my wife's best friend at the same location. It took nearly half a year to get reimbursed for the hotels and the missed connections.

But I agree with you - within Europe, with the protection of EC261, this should not happen. And I think that it would not have happened, had the pax be less activist.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by J S
+100

Originally Posted by simons1
The BA reply would of course be along the lines of "we have to be fair to all customers so take a hike and we look forward to seeing you again on another BA flight soon".

.....And privately they are probably saying / meaning " We have enough suckers., loyals and captive corporates who will pay and fly us, so damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !"
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:27 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by weero
But I agree with you - within Europe, with the protection of EC261, this should not happen. And I think that it would not have happened, had the pax be less activist.
BA doesn't get to decide stuff like this. The central reason why EC261 exists at all is because before it came into force, all airline passengers were not treated fairly. Now fair treatment of ALL passengers according to the EC261 rules is mandatory.

The fact that this situation was able to escalate this far tells me that in fact EC261 is still not robust enough, and passengers still need further protection enshrined in legislation in addition to what is already provided. The airlines can bleat about it all they want, but ultimately they can prevent it from being necessary by not treating their customers so poorly in the first place.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by V10
BA doesn't get to decide stuff like this. The central reason why EC261 exists at all is because before it came into force, all airline passengers were not treated fairly. Now fair treatment of ALL passengers according to the EC261 rules is mandatory.

The fact that this situation was able to escalate this far tells me that in fact EC261 is still not robust enough, and passengers still need further protection enshrined in legislation in addition to what is already provided. The airlines can bleat about it all they want, but ultimately they can prevent it from being necessary by not treating their customers so poorly in the first place.
^^^
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by V10
IMO, the passenger did not give BA enough time to act fairly.
I agree. I wished EC261 would be made stronger and simpler - i.e. do away with the weather excuse that allows airlines to schedule unreasonably during winter months.

But I fear we won't see any improvement soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.