Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA or AA First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by roberto99
IMO on such short flights, J is plenty adequate.
to be fair Roberto J class is more than good enough for "most" people on long-haul; never mind short-haul but this is FT
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Padmeister
to be fair Roberto J class is more than good enough for "most" people on long-haul; never mind short-haul but this is FT
Quite, I don't think He Knows Who We Are
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Quite, I don't think He Knows Who We Are
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MadProfessor
Also bagged (I think) a good deal on LHR-HKG (BA) // HKG-MEL (CX) // SYD-SIN (QA) // SIN-LHR (BA) in F for under Ł1000 more than the J fare. That's Ł125 per sector to upgrade to First.
Are you sure about that? I don't think that HKG-MEL or QF's SYD-SIN have an F cabin. Maybe it's seasonal though. You may wish to change SYD-SIN to BA metal in that case if it's cost-effective as the timings are similar.

(Also if it's Ł1k per person then there are only four sectors).
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:50 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by where2travel
Can you mix and match? So BA one way and AA the other. If I was genuinely undecided, that is what I would do.

But then you have the matter of deciding which way round. On balance I think I'd do AA out and BA back. I prefer the CX F lounge at LHR (which you could use flying AA) to the CCR at T5, but it maybe because it's more of a novelty with it being quite new. I just prefer the more open dining area (which has always been very quiet when I was there, than the dark booths in the CCR, and the food is also better. You can then do the CCR in JFK.

Another novelty factor mentioned already is F on the B747. Yes, it's nice to try but it's really a weak F cabin these days, even by BA standards. Some of the seats are woeful, I usually settle for upper deck on that aircraft and fly J.
I notice the OPs Location is LCY, so may I suggest BA ex LHR with CCR on the Outward aboard an A380. Then the Unique Non-stop JFK-LCY on an A319 in Business. No CCR at JFK but the Galleries Buffet is acceptable for a Night flight when travelling in a small group. Might save a few Quid on the fare also,
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Schultzois
The above bit, if I'm reading as you intended, is not quite right about Flagship lounge access (not talking about dining). This is not accessible to J (unless also OneWorld Emerald) and is not accessible to Sapphire (unless already flying F). In both respects, it's operating like BA's Galleries First (not Galleries Club). I prefer Galleries First to what I've experienced of the Flagship lounge, on almost everything from space to drinks selection to self-service dining options.

The lounge that AA uses for J/Sapphire is the Admirals Club, an often truly swarming place that, from my recollection, makes Galleries Club look like an "oasis of calm."
Incorrect. This changed with the recent relaunch of the Flagship lounge. Flagship lounge is accessible to people flying J and OneWorld Sapphire. It's a recent change: Flagship Lounge Access Rules on AA.com

I also suspect you've not been in the new Flagship lounge at JFK from your comments. It has changed quite considerably. I was there last week and would happily use that lounge over any BA lounge in JFK, although there is more traffic than in the CCR (although this may change when BA finish the T7 renovations!)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mrow
Incorrect. This changed with the recent relaunch of the Flagship lounge. Flagship lounge is accessible to people flying J and OneWorld Sapphire. It's a recent change: Flagship Lounge Access Rules on AA.com

I also suspect you've not been in the new Flagship lounge at JFK from your comments. It has changed quite considerably. I was there last week and would happily use that lounge over any BA lounge in JFK, although there is more traffic than in the CCR.
Okay, thanks. I'm surprised about the change in access, and would also be surprised if it's not pretty crowded, now handling everyone who is F/J/EMD/SPH.

I was last there a few months ago (probably end of February). It was in a new space (or an expanded space from whatever it was), but I don't think it had the dining facility open yet. I was impressed that it was much better than before, and that for the first time they had made an effort on better quality wines and so forth. It sounds like it is worth a re-visit.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Okay, thanks. I'm surprised about the change in access, and would also be surprised if it's not pretty crowded, now handling everyone who is F/J/EMD/SPH.

I was last there a few months ago (probably end of February). It was in a new space (or an expanded space from whatever it was), but I don't think it had the dining facility open yet. I was impressed that it was much better than before, and that for the first time they had made an effort on better quality wines and so forth. It sounds like it is worth a re-visit.
Quite a lot of surprise about the change on the AA forum too...which is why I specifically posted the access rules as I didn't want people to assume that the OW E/F requirement was still there.

I didn't find it that crowded last week and we were in it twice in one day - first thing in the morning following a transcon arrival from LAX. At 7:30 we were the only ones in the lounge and showered etc before heading into Manhattan. We were back again around 8pm for the 10:25pm departure to LHR in J and it was busier, but still lots of room to sit and spread out. Certainly more space / less people that I usually find in Galleries First at LHR however a sample size of 2 visits is hardly very reliable so YMMV!

There is still the Admirals Club and that's accessible to OneWorld Sapphire and those in J which helps with space.

If you were there in Feb then the full space wouldn't have been opened up at that point. It's certainly worth a revisit - if you have access to the Flagship Dining (this is only available to those flying F and AA Concierge Key members) it's worth a shot. I was impressed as have a few others who have posted trip reports etc.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by mrow
...access to the Flagship Dining (this is only available to those flying F and AA Concierge Key members) it's worth a shot.
CK access is "sort of" accurate...as a general rule, CK members don't have access to FFD dining (of course, unless flying FC). However, this year, CK members were given 2 opportunities to use FFD dining at any time. It is unclear if this is a one-timer perk or if it will become an annual entitlement. I hope the latter

ETA: the same offer to CKs was extended again in 2019

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 31, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.