Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are They Now? (Old BMI forum)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:52 am

£600 worth of vouchers from (voluntarily) being bumped from the BD121 to the BD123, used to redeem MAN-LHR-ZRH-ORD-YVR in Swiss First. Had to have a BD flight to redeem the voucher hence the MAN-LHR at the beginning. ��
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:37 pm

I came rather late to the BM party but benefitted a lot from it. I got good advice from some of the regulars about where to credit my *A miles and quickly achieved a Diamond Club Gold Card. I managed to accumulate quite a lot of miles through flying and got a great redemption going to BKK and ICN experiencing F on both Thai (marvellous) and Asiana (not so good).

I also managed to get two years of Gold and one of Silver with BAEC when the take over happened.

I think I first flew on BM in 1976 from EMA to GLA. Not only was it a long time ago but I was not particularly interested in flying then so the memory is vague, but it was a propeller aircraft and we got a real English breakfast complete with fried eggs. Am I hallucinating about the fried eggs?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some great memories. It was also the official FT Train forum. 😎

When they first started long haul BD offered some of the best C catering in the skies plus some truly amazing crew.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:09 pm

Used to use BMI regularly down to Jeddah. Very good airline. BMI had a crew facility on the compound where I used to live.

Ironically they were one of the airlines we switched to when we gave up on BA around 2007. 5 years later it was rinse and repeat and I'm now in the final stages of running down the Avios inherited when the Diamond Club ceased to exist.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I remember with great fondness the Lounge Angels at GLA and LHR and the great GLA crews. I attained BDLG only for it to become valueless.

God knows how many £200 compo vouchers for bumping from BD1 to BD3 (and sometimes a double dunt to BD5). This amounted to many thousand £s against family travel.

I also remember the times when a simple GLA-LHR-GLA in C could earn over 10K miles....remember the bonus for over 55K miles in the year allied with frequent double or triple miles promos?

I look back at the BD forum with great fondness....great people contributing and the laid back outlook was very evident AH, great times!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's great to see so many ex BD/DC forum stalwarts still kicking about.

Many still managing to maintain BA Gold as well I notice.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Lots of good memories! Cash and Miles was insanely good value. Never milked it for all I could as I probably should have done...so no Almaty or LH F trips for me.

A few things not mentioned:
-The ridiculous two or three question surveys that would come out so regularly and earn you a few thousand miles.
-625% mileage earning when you were above 55,000 status miles meant flying in US domestic F was practically free
-The "Celebs on BD" thread was a cracker, even for a celebphobe like myself...Jim Bowen on LBA-LHR anyone?

Originally Posted by travelwithross
The hilton/hotel trick though...
What was this? I earned huge mileage on Hilton stays as, if I recall, everything was 1000 miles per night, even el cheapo Hampton Inns et. al.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Some great memories. It was also the official FT Train forum. 😎
😎 indeed!

Valenta Paxman VP185 engines and the Napier turbocharger in one delicious post. Pure Gold
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
My Lords. That's a whopper thread!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:31 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
The great memories in this thread have prompted me to post here (even as a self-imposed BAEC Forum exile ).

Amazing multiple redemptions on, amongst many others, NH F, LX F, TG F, LH F & getting the entire SQ Suites cabin all to myself on SIN-LHR when the aircraft changed to an A380 service :-:

Very happy days indeed. These days I am happily invested in QR, EY & SQ (with a very small shout to BA - but only in F!)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
You miss it most when it's gone. Somehow BMI's network worked for my flight needs, so I was easily gold for many years. I was on the last FNA-LHR flight. Upgraded as usual on the return with miles. That was a battle since just about everyone had gone by then. BA abandoned that route, like so many other useful places. So my travels are mostly Star Alliance (TK) now. I am still working my way through the Avios that I had from DC and the ones I gained from the sadly departed BMI Amex.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
ex-BMI'r here. Still floating about, largely on the BA threads. Those redemptions used to be outrageous... a few F's from CPT to LHR via FRA thanks to BMI. Dam I miss it!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Memories, memories.

My favourite was the credit card cash transfer that earned DC miles.

I don't think too many got the snailmail invitation. I did, and transferred almost my entire card limit of just below £30k on a daily basis to and fro. I was in Canada at the time and wasn't sure whether all would work. It mostly did though not entirely friction-free. Some transfers were queried as suspected duplicates. If I were ever to do it again, I'd vary the amounts.

These were the best value miles I ever earned.

My first 'bmi' miles were on London City Airways from LCY to the near continent in the 90s, credited to Virgin Freeway.

Anybody else remember the Billy Elliot event?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Great airline, great program. I managed to get LT Gold just before BD got taken over.
I must have had at least 30 R/Ts (for 4) in J LHR-DME with them paying 6000 miles plus cash per pax if I remember correctly. Used to be the best plying that route those days. And to top it we often used to get 6000 miles compensation per sector for non-functioning/ non-existing IFE. And somewhere down the line even redemption flights on BD metal started earning status miles.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:34 am

I still have an Excel spreadsheet on my computer for calculating the Diamond Club miles needed for redeeming flights - can't bring myself to delete it!

Also have some Tutbury crystalware in the cabinet (anyone else remember these?) from the very early days of Diamond Club.

Best redemption for me was Lufthansa First Class MAN-FRA-DTW, we deliberately booked a longer layover at FRA to experience the Lufthansa First Class terminal with private passport control/security and personal transport to the plane.

Happy memories!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.