Wiki Posts
Search

747 to NYC. Are they all old IFE in WT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld
747 to NYC. Are they all old IFE in WT

Trying to fathom which flight to take to JFK during the current sale. So many flights to select showing 747 without being specific. Is there a quick and dirty way to know if the WT cabin has old IFE (it's the kids that need it most; I'll be reading a book)?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
They're pretty much all refreshed 744s with excellent Panasonic IFE

Slim chance of a swap but the same on any route
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld
Really! That's great and thanks for the info. I don't know why but I was under the misguided impression they were all knackered. That makes things much easier to choose.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:08 am

Most of the time BA target JFK with Super hi-J (refreshed) 747's. You can use expert flyer to pull up the seat maps of the flights you're looking at. A refreshed 747 will have a larger club cabin, extending backwards to row 22.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Trying to fathom which flight to take to JFK during the current sale. So many flights to select showing 747 without being specific. Is there a quick and dirty way to know if the WT cabin has old IFE (it's the kids that need it most; I'll be reading a book)?
Check the seatmap and do a dummy seat selection when booking to see what type of plane is scheduled. It isn't guaranteed (planes may change last minute), but chances are it will be that plane. If economy starts at row 39, you are in luck = )
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The majority of the JFK flights operated on the 747 are the Super Hi J with the refreshed interior. However, there is usually one flight a day that's a Mid-J with the old interior.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Down Low
The majority of the JFK flights operated on the 747 are the Super Hi J with the refreshed interior. However, there is usually one flight a day that's a Mid-J with the old interior.
There's also at least a weekly 772 still, I'm not sure which outbound it operates but tends to do the day flight back on Wednesday recently...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Down Low
And it's always the one I'm on - BA115 on 28th October for example, that will remain the 52J version just because of course it will.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
And it's always the one I'm on - BA115 on 28th October for example, that will remain the 52J version just because of course it will.
There are so many flights a day to JFK. Can't you just take another one?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
There are so many flights a day to JFK. Can't you just take another one?
I class fare, can't be changed
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:50 am

I've just flown to JFK in Club on the 175 and back on the 112. Both super j with the better IFE. As previously mentioned, most 747s on this route have the refurbished cabins.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
If you are interested in the recent historical trend - "BA Source" / Route Tracker (Heathrow-JFK) is also worth a little look.

You can see there is usually one "52J" 744 a day with the others being 86J as mentioned above.

Past performance is no guide for the future of course.....
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I class fare, can't be changed
You could always show up at the airport and ask nicely to be put on an earlier/later flight = ) it may work!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
I took BA 117 (LHR-JFK) on 20 April and BA 176 (JFK-LHR) on 24 April and both had the old entertainment system in WT (BA 176 was on a 777, though a 747 is more commonly used on this flight).

BA 113 (LHR-JFK) on 5 June had the new entertainment system in WT (it was a 747, though a 777 is more commonly used on this flight).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:58 am

I did a return to JFK earlier this month in WT. On my dates, about half the 747 flights scheduled were mid-J with old IFE and half super-J with new IfE. I made sure to pick the latter both ways, checking the seat maps.

It's a pretty decent hard product on these refurbed birds in WT. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.