Better Empty Seats Than Award Seats?

Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Better Empty Seats Than Award Seats?

Just flew LHR to SFO in Business on BA Flight 285.
I was able to get 2 Business seats for the flight with Avios several months ago. Even though I was ticketed for Business, I checked the same date to see if First would open up and it didn't. But I did notice something else. In the dozen or so times I checked the flight, no Business seat availability ever came up either. I checked right up to the day of the the flight.
Here's the thing, there were 4 vacant seats on the Upper Deck and at least 6 vacant seats on the Lower Deck (747).
Maybe I don't get it, but wouldn't whatever computer modeling BA uses release at least a few of those seats for awards? Isn't it better to get something to fill a seat than no revenue at all? Not to mention the goodwill it brings to the Executive Club Program to have more availability?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar
Just flew LHR to SFO in Business on BA Flight 285.
I was able to get 2 Business seats for the flight with Avios several months ago. Even though I was ticketed for Business, I checked the same date to see if First would open up and it didn't. But I did notice something else. In the dozen or so times I checked the flight, no Business seat availability ever came up either. I checked right up to the day of the the flight.
Here's the thing, there were 4 vacant seats on the Upper Deck and at least 6 vacant seats on the Lower Deck (747).
Maybe I don't get it, but wouldn't whatever computer modeling BA uses release at least a few of those seats for awards? Isn't it better to get something to fill a seat than no revenue at all? Not to mention the goodwill it brings to the Executive Club Program to have more availability?
If BA opened up award seats close to departure whenever there were spare seats available, do you think fewer people would book J when they could book W and UUA?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA does not full up its premium cabins just because there is space.

BA released 2 CW awards on every flight and sometimes it releases more and sometimes not.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
For example see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ard-space.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ase-award.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...pty-seats.html
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ABax
If BA opened up award seats close to departure whenever there were spare seats available, do you think fewer people would book J when they could book W and UUA?
I agree with the OP. You never really know whether or not there will be seats available close to departure so you may be stuck in WTP or whatever cabin you booked. An empty seat may mean that someone no showed, but if BA knows that a flight is lightly booked in advance I see no reason why Avios upgrades/reward seats cannot be offered.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Plenty of discussion on this as per the threads Jerry posted.

Out of those seen ten empty seats, x could have been no shows or misconnects and y last minute changes in flexible tickets. And BA holding z back to accommodate both of those categories and last minute pax paying mega buck.

Plus the other reasons already outlined.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Maybe I don't get it, but wouldn't whatever computer modeling BA uses release at least a few of those seats for awards?
In addition to commercial arguments posted in threads passim there is also an under-discussed case for not actively selling the seats (although not explicitly holding them back) to make them available for staff, especially duty travel.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I knew it was a dead cert BA will open up J close to departure on most flights, I would never bother with the exEU faff and just book WT+ direct and upgrade nearer the time.

I would be the worst BA customer ! I probably still am one of their cheapest
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:27 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Data Point:

I (reluctantly) flew LHR-AUH last week in J on the 787-9. When doors closed I was 1 of only 6 J passengers. And there was only 1 F passenger.

F/J availability was 0 on this flight for award seats the days and weeks prior to the flight.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:39 am

I've often thought that BA should have a sub-inventory that releases Avios upgrades only to passengers already on the flight (and perhaps not visible to passengers who are not yet booked, or proactively offered with Avios payments via MMB only, with no other visibility?)

I'm just thinking that there are certain holiday periods where BA oversell Y, and know well in advance they will have to roll the cabins forward. In those cases, I understand BA wouldn't want to book additional people on the flight, but wouldn't they be better off offering Avios upgrades than simply giving them away for free?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makin'miles
wouldn't they be better off offering Avios upgrades than simply giving them away for free?
No - in the world of pricing and revenue management for the 2020s, uncertainty and volatility for the passenger are some of the most valuable commodities.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC
I've often thought that BA should have a sub-inventory that releases Avios upgrades only to passengers already on the flight (and perhaps not visible to passengers who are not yet booked, or proactively offered with Avios payments via MMB only, with no other visibility?)

I'm just thinking that there are certain holiday periods where BA oversell Y, and know well in advance they will have to roll the cabins forward. In those cases, I understand BA wouldn't want to book additional people on the flight, but wouldn't they be better off offering Avios upgrades than simply giving them away for free?
Yes I've thought the same. An avios bidding system via MMB which clears at T-24 or whenever would seem a logical option.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

They may already do that. People have reported that they havn't had an MMB offer but someone else on the flight has. Same with POUGs they appear to be selective offers. And AUPs are also available to some but not others.

Sometimes they do do op-ups but to people BA think might like a taste of a better cabin to encourage them to pay cash for it in the future.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
This seems to come around monthly.

I approve of BA leaving J seats empty on some flights if there is no Rev pax paying for the seat.

It adds to exclusivity.

All my memories of USA flights within the USA are that there was an indecent scrum for the upgrade to fill the seat in "1st." Not exclusive at all.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
This seems to come around monthly.

I approve of BA leaving J seats empty on some flights if there is no Rev pax paying for the seat.

It adds to exclusivity.

All my memories of USA flights within the USA are that there was an indecent scrum for the upgrade to fill the seat in "1st." Not exclusive at all.
I disagree even though I do appreciate an empty seat beside me. I do not see anything exclusive about air travel any more, and I would happily welcome all and sundry to make up a full J or F cabin. It would also save me significant sums if I had the opportunity to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.