Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA only allows one passport in your profile--why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes

I'm a dual Canada/UK citizen, resident in the UK. I fly to the US and home to Canada reasonably regularly, and other places.

I have US Global Entry on my UK passport, so need to use that to get into the US. The Canadian authorities insist you use your Canadian passport when entering, or get an eTA.

This means when I try to check in online for either US or Canada (depending on which passport is in profile) I get stopped. In theory I re-enter details, but if you look at your BAEC profile, you'll see that you *can* change your date of birth and can even change your gender (I haven't tried this feature of the profile, but it's clearly marked). All this and I cannot enter the detail for my other passport.

Long term the solution will be to get Nexus in order to shift the US Global Entry to my Canadian passport, but that'll take a while logistically. In the meanwhile...I'm resigned to the idea that I'll have to carry both passports travelling most of the time, and I'm fine with that. But re-entering alternating passports into the BAEC profile just seems dumb. And I'm not thrilled with the idea of waiting to check in at the airport.

Has anyone else hit this problem? Is there some elegant solution I'm missing?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by sky-rat
Has anyone else hit this problem?
Yes.
Is there some elegant solution I'm missing?
I haven't found it yet but would love to find one.

My situation is different from yours, but may become more relevant to me in 2019 - or whenever the Chuckle Brothers fail to make a go of Brexit.

Until now, I have mainly travelled on my UK passport and only occasionally on my Swiss passport or ID card. Within mainland Europe, though, the ID card is more practical, It also allows me to visit Turkey visa-free. (The Swiss PP meant lower visa fees to PR China in the past, though that may have changed.)

So, yes! How can we sensibly use two nationalities with BA, please?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
AA and lots of other airlines don't allow more than one either so this isn't a nit pick only on BA
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:33 pm

I know someone in the same spot, UK/Canada passports. He uses UK for everything, has ESTA/ETA for the UK passport. When returning to Canada he only uses his Canadian Passport once at the desk for the CBSA, uses the UK passport for every other part of the trip.

I did wonder if he'd not get in trouble for using the UK passport for the rest of the trip but apparently CBSA couldn't care less.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:45 pm

Not to forget, the passport on which you leave one country and the passport on which you enter the next one on the same flight could be different. Consequently, two sets of travel document details for each sector are to be recorded.

How would I currently travel e.g. between the US and Canada if ETA for Canada is registered on a passport other than the one I entered the US with? How will the US authorities know that I left and the Canadian authorities know that I will be coming (and the airline see that I am authorised to do so)?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I am another UK/Canada dual passport holder and I always use the Canadian passport in the APIS. Entering the UK or entering/exiting the EU I use my UK passport and have never had any problem. The OP's problem with the U.S. I agree is a good reason that a second passport feature in the profile would be a useful addition.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just to let you know, you could add your Canadian passport to your GE account at an enrolment centre, then just leave your Canadian passport in the APIS (doesn't really matter if its in the APIS when flying to the UK). I am also a Dual UK/CAN Citizen and added my CAN passport to GE after I got GE on my UK passport (Didn't have a Canadian passport at the time). You can then use both passports on the kiosks.

Also if your planning on being in Canada, apply for the Nexus, its cheaper and makes things even easier.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist

How would I currently travel e.g. between the US and Canada if ETA for Canada is registered on a passport other than the one I entered the US with? How will the US authorities know that I left and the Canadian authorities know that I will be coming (and the airline see that I am authorised to do so)?
You can enter/exit the US on different passports, they match the exits and entries by NAME/DOB/entry biometrics etc. not by the passport number. The correct record even shows up online.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Also if your planning on being in Canada, apply for the Nexus, its cheaper and makes things even easier.
+1
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
(Yet) another dual Canadian/ UK citizen here, with a third nationality thrown in. I can imagine BA figure that most people just need one passport, but it would certainly make life a bit easier if they were a bit more understanding of people with slightly more complicated setups. There must be quite a few UK-only citizens with two passports amongst BA's most frequent flyers.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Just to let you know, you could add your Canadian passport to your GE account at an enrolment centre
How does this work? You just drop by an enrollment centre without an invitation and ask for the dual add?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
How does this work? You just drop by an enrollment centre without an invitation and ask for the dual add?
Yes that's how it's done, no appointment needed.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:06 pm

Much appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
My wife is dual French USA and we have this problem on every trip to the states. Bit of faffing but no great hassle, we haven't worked a way around it yet.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Once you go in to MMB you can change it there and save but the profile only saves one. You can have multiple bookings with multiple passports saved though as each booking saves the details within itself. I guess the market isn't big enough for IT to get granted the development budget for a drop-down..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.