Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Additional amenities to improve Galleries lounges

Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold

The title of this thread was inspired by my recent forlorn wander through GF in T3 looking for one of those rotating brush shoe shine machines that you sometimes see in hotels. I had somehow manage to acquired some unsightly splotches and looking at my shoes I realised with some degree of horror that they were a complete state. But alas no shoe shine machine. Had to wipe the cr*p off with toilet paper.

I realise that it's a niche item, and I am not complaining about the lack of one, but I do think that a shoe shiner is one of those nice to have amenities. Although this was the first time I really felt that I needed one, I reckon I probably would make use of one more often if there was one.

What amenities do other FTers think would make the lounges better?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
The title of this thread was inspired by my recent forlorn wander through GF in T3 looking for one of those rotating brush shoe shine machines that you sometimes see in hotels. I had somehow manage to acquired some unsightly splotches and looking at my shoes I realised with some degree of horror that they were a complete state. But alas no shoe shine machine. Had to wipe the cr*p off with toilet paper.

I realise that it's a niche item, and I am not complaining about the lack of one, but I do think that a shoe shiner is one of those nice to have amenities. Although this was the first time I really felt that I needed one, I reckon I probably would make use of one more often if there was one.

What amenities do other FTers think would make the lounges better?
Actually this would be a good thing to have and maybe not such a niche. One of my all time favourite lounge amenities is the John Lobb shoe shine treatment that JAL have in the HND F lounge. I also think this is a great idea for a thread..

Aside from nicking ideas from other airlines lounges (the finnair sauna at HEL springs to mind), I would love there to be a outside terrace.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
the finnair sauna at HEL springs to mind, I would love there to be a outside terrace.
+1 for both of these

It would be nice to have a water fountain / bottle filler in the lounge, the only I get too, is the one by the north lounge entrance
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
There is a shoe shine machine in T5 Flounge, by the main mens' toilet block, though this isn't much use to you in T3.

Personally I'd like BA to remove all the offices along the west side of the area that connects Flounge and CCR and turn it into a gym or some alternative exercise facility.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I would love there to be a outside terrace.
Me too....an outside smoking terrace.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
gym or some alternative exercise facility.
That is actually a good idea. I often find myself wandering airport terminals during longer layovers JUST for the exercise. If they could put that functionality into a lounge, along with improved shower facilities that would be good. It would only work with improved showering facilities in my opinion.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Some hooks on the inside of the mens WCs at gatwick please.. I do like to hang my jacket up if i need to sit. They were there, I can see the holes but some so and so unscrewed them and now they have gone..

Bring back my hooks......
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I'd like to see a scanner in the business centre. When I'm working, I often have to sign a document and send a scanned copy. This would help me no end. Currently I take a photo and send that.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:36 am

There are some very good apps that will turn a photo into a PDF our other format, while cropping and squaring the image. I use Lens (part of MS Office) which is free.

It's sufficiently good / handy that I sometimes use it in preference to my office scanner. And it also uploads directly to the cloud.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 24, 2017 at 1:53 am Reason: Tidy up extraneous BB code
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:43 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by MrsW
I'd like to see a scanner in the business centre. When I'm working, I often have to sign a document and send a scanned copy. This would help me no end. Currently I take a photo and send that.
Get the Tiny Scanner app on your phone - allows you to take photos with your phone then edit/save them as PDFs. Very useful!

[beaten to the answer by windowontheAside - three times!]
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:35 am

I would love a separate box of tissues in each of the restrooms. I won't touch the tissue that's on offer, given that its dispensed from an integrated wall unit near the floor and directly next to the toilet. I can't imagine its always hygienic.

Definitely second the idea of an outdoor terrace, but would also love to see GC South make use of the gravelled space/roof of the level below to create an indoor terrace, similar to that in the Concorde Room. The space is already there.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Take away 25cl water bottles?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Faster internet would be a big improvement.

Bookshelves to to swap books?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:59 am

You are in Galleries. The man opposite me has just put his feet on the shared table. He isn't even wearing any shoes.

Best Paddington Bear stares required.

I would never put my shoes through an automatic machine of any kind.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
The lack of an outdoor smoking area at T5 is just stupid and raises the stress levels of smokers unnecessarily.

Its maybe not PC in the eyes of many but a simple addition which would make many people's travels a lot more satisfactory.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.