BA [no longer suits my needs]

Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by liamvad
Have done loads of trips with BA all over Europe,but due to BoB,shoddy service,dirty aircraft,and indifferent CC my last trip is in July to EDI,one way is CE,after that no more BA for me,just blagged a flight to EDI in Sept,FLYBE,Ł39.00 including seat reservation and taxes,and in a propeller airplane!Lovely.
What a shame BA has become so poor for service,and lack of care for it's 'customers'.Will BA still be around in a few years time?
From everything I have been reading over the last year or two, it seems to me that BA really sucks these days (its strange too, because I use to think of BA as a shining light in a sea of darkness).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:47 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mixbury
Unusually pointed for the normally magnanimous c-w-s.
But entirely accurate. On the very few FlyBe flights I've taken, mostly from NWI-EDI, the seating was cramped, there was no room for all but the very smallest bags in the overheads and the only redeeming feature was the Cabin Crew. The Q400s they fly are noisy and there's invariably a smell of jet fuel in the cabin on starting up the props.

Couple that with their frequent chopping of routes which are commerically a disaster, particularly once any regional development money dries up, and it hardly amounts to a decent, predictable or reliable service.

There's clearly also no connectivity or extensive route network.

So whilst the OP may have perfectly valid reasons for leaving BA, and many people swap preferred airlines through their lifetime, the choice of FlyBe as a replacement is certainly a very strange one.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It makes complete sense to buy another product if you're no longer satisfied with the one you normally use. It's really not an unusual thing to do, so don't feel bad about it.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
So whilst the OP may have perfectly valid reasons for leaving BA, and many people swap preferred airlines through their lifetime, the choice of FlyBe as a replacement is certainly a very strange one.
In his particular circumstances perhaps that's true but it does have its attractions in the form of direct flights for those of us in the parts of the country BA have decided to effectively abandon.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Whatever could be said about BA, at least they have a working space bar....
Are you sure they haven't cut the spacebar due to cost saving measures?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
The OP's keyboard doesn't appear to have one.
ROFL!!!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:03 am

There is a reason FlyBe have become known as FlyMayBe. Aren't they just about to head into another restructuring due to their ongoing losses?

However good to see you got an attractive deal on this one. That's what I found - when you are not beholden to any one operator you can pick the flights that go where you want, when you want at the right price. Good luck.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It makes complete sense to buy another product if you're no longer satisfied with the one you normally use. It's really not an unusual thing to do, so don't feel bad about it.
For once I completely agree with HIDDY!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Flew flybe last week LCY to BHD
Great little planes
Only half full so most people got a spare seat next to them
They do chug and take a bit longer (and some of the windows were blanched with trapped moisture)
BOB is genorously supplied with whatever you want
Luggage at LCY was deliverd within one minute of arrival

They have improved their image of a few years ago; and have lost their money grabbing for extras image

Their call centre also now answers calls within a couple of minutes

Agree re annoyance in the way they chop and change schedules about 6 months in advance

To the general question re going elsewhere to fly; i think its very healthy to shop around

I sort of on principle wont do BA SH Y as the cramped cabin and poorly delivered BOB should not be supported.

I recently tried OS business SH and was surprised how lacklustre it was with nice but minimal catering and and uninspiring LH/OS lounges

So for me of you want cheap and Y BA is probably not the first choice; go for an airline that does low cost better

For Business BA is probably still in the running;is TK the only good European busness?. Maybe SU, AF?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
BA is constant frustration. Good schedules and flight options; status perks; usually great crew on the one hand. On the other a pretty poor hard product and customer focus. BA short haul y is significantly worse than the main rivals IMO and as someone that does a lot of flying on mid length European routes I have to say that the catering changes recently brought in in CE have made for a significantly poorer catering experience which puts the likes of LH, OS, KL etc back in the frame from my perspectives whereas in the past I would have always flown BA where possible. To Spain I now prefer IB.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Jun 24, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
It is a surprise that in such a massive market such as the EU that there seems to be no market for a full service airline. You'd have thought there would have been people out there willing to pay for proper service and in fact a decent intra europe business class, but clearly not.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I flew BHX to HAJ on flybe for five months. When they flew the jet on that route, it wasn't a bad airline. My priority pass made nicer on the lounge end, and it usually arrived early and the hold luggage was checked in quickly when needed...

However. They changed it to a prop. Continually late, since it took 50% longer. About 8 seats a flight were taken out of commission most weekends, cramming the luggage which wouldn't fit in the six inch overhead compartments on those planes. It was actually a signficant factor on me ending that job...

Price was never particularly cheap, even booked three months in advance.

So flybe and prop planes "aint all that".

Their cheese ploughmans sandwich is corking though...
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Flew flybe last week LCY to BHD
Great little planes
Only half full so most people got a spare seat next to them
They do chug and take a bit longer (and some of the windows were blanched with trapped moisture)
BOB is genorously supplied with whatever you want
Luggage at LCY was deliverd within one minute of arrival

They have improved their image of a few years ago; and have lost their money grabbing for extras image

Their call centre also now answers calls within a couple of minutes

Agree re annoyance in the way they chop and change schedules about 6 months in advance

To the general question re going elsewhere to fly; i think its very healthy to shop around

I sort of on principle wont do BA SH Y as the cramped cabin and poorly delivered BOB should not be supported.

I recently tried OS business SH and was surprised how lacklustre it was with nice but minimal catering and and uninspiring LH/OS lounges

So for me of you want cheap and Y BA is probably not the first choice; go for an airline that does low cost better

For Business BA is probably still in the running;is TK the only good European busness?. Maybe SU, AF?
I use BE weekly now and agree with your comments -- LCY is incrediby convenient for me, they are not that bad and in 50 plus sectors I have only had one really noticeable delay
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I think I must have missed something I here. What is all the fuss about space bars?
Originally Posted by SteveF
The OP's keyboard doesn't appear to have one.
Ah yes, I see now. They do use the apostrophe correctly though so that's a good point!

I am flying Flybe tomorrow (BHX - BOR) so looking forward to the experience.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
I used to use Flybe over BA quite frequently as they fly from SOU my nearest airport. I can be home in less than 30 minutes from touchdown at quiet times! SOU is such a great airport to fly through as everything is so quick and small! However as someone else mentioned Flybe have been changing a lot of their routes to the Q400 and when they started doing this on the longer routes such as ALC, that was the end for me. After spending 3 hours sat next to a very noisy propeller in a cramped seat, I have not used them since. I would only consider them on a short flight. The onboard service has been OK and they started giving out free chocolates which was a nice gesture. I would still choose BA over Flybe for longer SH flights despite BOB as I can always bring my own and get the exit row free through status. At least you can fit a normal size bag in the lockers! I found AF to be good on SH business class although seats are the same as BA pretty much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.