Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CCR Room 'Millionaires Door' re-opens...staff say here to stay

CCR Room 'Millionaires Door' re-opens...staff say here to stay

Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:49 pm

I've not been through the new First Wing set up but it has struck me as odd that when F passengers use this they are deposited into a working class lounge not at all in accordance with their status. As they are flying First they probably think that the GF is their lounge and settle there to write excoriating SkyTrax reviews.

Glad the door is back. Need to try it soon!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Greenpen
they are deposited into a working class lounge not at all in accordance with their status
Remind me to have my sense of humour checked for bugs
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
Back in T5 CCR this afternoon and notice that the door is open again. Mention it to the staff who say it happened at 1230 today, and it's here to stay.

Shall we rename it the 'Door to Boots' as that's it's primary purpose for me these days.
Great. We always come through in transit from LBA or from long haul and so the new 1st wing entrance for those arriving external to LHR held no allure and closing the white door made the trek much longer.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:29 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I've not been through the new First Wing set up
You may reflect that perhaps this doesn't put you in the best position to comment definitively, but there are plenty of example posts in the First Wing thread which comment on exactly how well signed the CCR is on entering the F lounge if you'd like further verification. Even as a mere working class commoner whose place is in the F lounge I can personally attest that it would be difficult not to find the route through.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:42 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I emailed Alex Cruz two weeks ago after a poor ground experience (posted on here) part of which was the closure of the door. I didn't complain just fed positive and negative feedback. I was telephoned and a good part of the conversation was regarding the impact of closing the door on transferring F passengers especially domestic who could see the door but had to treck around the airport. Let's take this as a positive that people are listening
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Talking

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'd expect some here would say that. What we have seen recently is a number of changes reversed: specifically the reintroduction of free seat selection on Basic (HBO) Fares, but yes the flowers and amuse bouche are there too. We are also about to see the beginning of the upgrades to the Club World proposition.

BA have clearly been listening, and have not been frightened doing an about-turn.
Are the CW upgrades you refer too related to items we already have been told on here or can you claim some FT exclusive on hot gossip??

Pilot37
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
a few regular employees at the CCR have mentioned that people do indeed stay at the Flounge, instead of making the 'journey' to the CCR.

As we pass thru the Flounge from F wing, we also stop and have a beverage whilst just sorting bags out after security.

So maybe others, who haven't been at T5, just think that it is their lounge. Without the door they may never have gone to the CCR.

I think GF is a great lounge, but needs to be bigger to cope with the amount of people over the last few years. I can also understand, why some people prefer that over CCR and may never venture to the CCR.

Personally speaking that's good for us!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Sorry for being late to the party, but for those who don't know what this door is about and the context of it in this discussion then would much appreciate if someone could enlighten
us.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by yabadoo
Sorry for being late to the party, but for those who don't know what this door is about and the context of it in this discussion then would much appreciate if someone could enlighten
us.
Yes, well I suspect we should apologise since this frankly minor issue would be somewhat obscure outside a fairly narrow range of BA travellers (which admittedly includes myself).

This doorway connects the Concorde Room - the top BA lounge at LHR for First travellers and the top tier status passengers - to an area next to South Security. It was closed a few weeks back as part of the work that led to the opening of the First Wing, a specially branded and dedicated security route from landside to the First Lounge and CCR. However closing that door meant that for some CCR users they had to walk a little further than before in certain circumstances. Typically those connecting airside, domestic connections and some shorthaul service flights. We are talking under 5 minutes here.

The reason it is called the Millionaires' door has been confused over time, it's should be called the Millionaire door, since BA allegedly had to pay the airport owners a huge sum to account for the door to be put there, due to the loss of shopping income that the direct route caused. The door was closed as part of a quid pro quo for a similar agreement with the airport owner regarding the First Wing, the exact details of which will probably never reach public circulation.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Excellent news, glad to hear it as it will make connections a bit better and save some time when leaving the CCR!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
I have had a couple of interactions with staff prior to the door reopening and both relating to the rather less than premium transfer experience

Shortly after the new First Wing opened I was chatting to someone presented to me by staff in the CCR as the "lounge manager". I questioned whether the door would remain open and was told no. It was too expensive to have someone working at the door checking eligibility. On the subject of the transfer process he advised me it would be better to clear immigration and customs and return through the F Wing.

My second interaction was last week when I again expressed my disappointment at the transfer process and rued the loss of the door. Both members of staff claimed to have received multiple complaints about the door closure. An American gentleman entering at the same time also agreed that it was now better to head landside and clear security in the F Wing.

I am pleased the door is back if only for the ease of nipping out to Dixons and Boots on my frequent long layovers.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Typical. I made my final ever first flight into LHR, through south security and onto Manchester on Thursday.

Hated to walk from security to lounge after an overnight flight.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
I am impressed, more evidence that BA do listen to us when we have genuine complaints. Well done BA ^
+1

My experience with the first wing has been great...but it seems like I've been passing through connecting more this year, and those reminder signs in fast track connections about a new path to the Concorde Room left a bad taste with me.

I'm glad BA made a change, but credit is due to the junior guy who put the signs up in fast track connections, as I'm sure that helped raise the visibility of the original asinine decision. Irrespective of the last minute need of Londoners for last minute Boots pooping, which I am certain is massive, some connecting passengers prefer a more direct route to the CCR which limits the amount of unpleasantries we must wade through to get there. Good day, sir! But seriously, good listening BA.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Are the CW upgrades you refer too related to items we already have been told on here or can you claim some FT exclusive on hot gossip??

Pilot37
We have discussed it previously, if you search #BAinvesting4U you will find details ^
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think CE catering has improved, it is the quantity not the quality that is the issue with medium band flights.
I disagree with that. To me, there has been absolutely no improvement in CE medium haul quality, in fact, a straightforward quality decline when it comes to the panini.

Reopening of the direct access door is a definite positive, but it does not make recent negatives less negatives and I don't think it can (certainly not as yet) be read as a 'trend shifting' move. In any case, I would personally vote for keeping this thread about the door and how it simplifies our lives (I, for one, am extremely grateful that the door has been reopened) rather than transform it into a broader themed thread on listen/not listen improve/decline which I fear would evolve in only too predictable a way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.