Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Weather Cancellations [22 June and 27 June]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Weather Cancellations [22 June and 27 June]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
It is interesting to watch fr24 and see so many planes avoiding weather.

Safe travels to all.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I was just going to ask which BA planes now have Wi-Fi.... Then I noticed it was you, so I'm guessing EK
Yep. Free unlimited Wi-Fi for Skywards members now. Slow but usable.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:36 pm

BA579 VCE-LHR 22 June 2017 cancelled

I'm just in the lounge here and a lot of people on the graveyard flight to Gatwick after the BA579 was cancelled.

Does anyone have a reason? I've started to recommend the EU261 thread but wanted to ensure it wasn't a non compensation reason. I can see it sitting on stand, so just wondered why the technical issue was?

I've given out the link to the EU261 thread

Last edited by kwisstan; Jun 22, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I imagine it is due to poor weather. More here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...22nd-june.html

see in particular the contribution from florens. EC261 only gives right of care, not compensation, if this is the cause.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kwisstan
I'm just in the lounge here and a lot of people on the graveyard flight to Gatwick after the BA579 was cancelled.

Does anyone have a reason? I've started to recommend the EC261 thread but wanted to ensure it wasn't a non compensation reason. I can see it sitting on stand so not weather related
This may possibly be weather-related, as there have been extensive thunderstorms across much of Europe today, so don't raise too many people's hopes of EU261 compensation just yet!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:45 pm

Sorry, just updated my original post as I just read on BA source it's technical
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks to the OP for including all the rekevant details in the thread title.^

So often this is not the case.

Sorry to read of your inconvenience. Hope you get back as soon as possible.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks to the OP for including all the rekevant details in the thread title.^

So often this is not the case.

Sorry to read of your inconvenience. Hope you get back as soon as possible.
Thankfully not my inconvenience, I was already on the BA2581 to Gatwick (00.05 schedule departure). It seems the people I was talking to in the lounge were part of a tour group. There about 25 people affected. I'm not sure I would want to spend 8 hours in the Marco Polo lounge, even following the changes.

​​​I've pointed them towards the EU compensation thread. Out of interest is this affected for Travel Agent bookings? I was assuming not as the tour operator isn't affected by the delay (except for the rep who happened to be going to London on her own steam). I just didn't want to give duff information, such as no way would it be a bus to the aircraft when virtually all airbridges are empty....😔
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
After two cancellations, a change of hire car at GVA, a 200km drive to LYS (which took 3hrs on a 40km diversion), the hire car's gearbox disintegrating just as I reached the hotel, a visit from the AA, 2.5hrs kip and a €90 taxi fare across LYS... I'm finally boarded on a flight back to LHR.

Hope everyone else disrupted yesterday has an easier time of it getting to their destinations!

Last edited by dakaix; Jun 22, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by dakaix
After two cancellations, a change of hire car at GVA, a 200km drive to LYS (which took 3hrs on a 40km diversion), the hire car's gearbox disintegrating just as I reached the hotel, a visit from the AA, 2.5hrs kip and a €90 taxi fare across LYS... I'm finally boarded on a flight back to LHR.

Hope everyone else disrupted yesterday has an easier time of it getting to their destinations!
Sounds like an adventure! Hope you're home soon.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We were sat in the LGW Lounge yesterday morning and watched a storm cell come in from the west. One end of the airport soaking wet, the other perfectly dry ... for a while. Several significant lightning strikes seen from our viewpoint, and a LOT of ground movement congestion as departures were held and recently-landed aircraft had no stands free. Four of the inbounds were queueing up on the secondary runway, and up to 8 departures holding near the runway threshold. Eventually our [delayed] 1210 departure to JER was bussed from Gate 20 to an aircraft on a remote stand behind the Fire Station.

Glad I was not working in the Tower!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
I was on the BA431 AMS-LHR that day / yesterday and we were delayed for 4 hours. First the weather, then finally push back and later taxying back due to a technical issue and when this was fixed it was the weather again which was at that time well over the north sea resulting in a detour over a part of Belgium once we were airborne..
For some reason not explained to me I was upgraded to CE upon boarding so at least I had a meal while on the ground but it was a long wait for those in ET. Wonderful cabin crew that at least took care of drinks for those in ET (and also in CE).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Looks to be similar issues again tonight; numerous delays back into LHR from Europe showing.

Already two cancellations, BA736/737 (GVA) and BA356/7 (NCE)... if you're travelling today best keep an eye on BA.com or the App!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by dakaix
Looks to be similar issues again tonight; numerous delays back into LHR from Europe showing.

Already two cancellations, BA736/737 (GVA) and BA356/7 (NCE)... if you're travelling today best keep an eye on BA.com or the App!

No activity showing here in the Lac Leman area of Switzerland... nothing showing in the Alps or the Jura either...

Nothing significant showing on the local forecast either...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Updated list of cancellations:

BA356/357 (NCE)
BA736/737 (GVA)
BA748/749 (BSL)
BA1344/1345 (LBA)
BA1458/1465 (EDI)
BA1486/1493 (GLA)

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
No activity showing here in the Lac Leman area of Switzerland... nothing showing in the Alps or the Jura either...

Nothing significant showing on the local forecast either...
Doesn't look to be an issue around Switzerland, there's a good sized pair of thunderstorm cells in western France and northern Spain at the moment though (along with a bit around Anglia in the UK).

See here: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_light...aps.php?map=10

The cancellations are almost certainly pro-active to get the rest of the day's program back on track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.