Using BA status to gain lounge access

Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Using BA status to gain lounge access

I've recently relocated from London to US. I have Silver status on BA (extended for 2 years thanks to being caught in London during the BA fiasco)

I'm flying AA from Texas to Shangahi regularly. Can I start getting status on AA while using my BA status to gain access to lounges?

Specifically, I'd use my Advantage# on tickets and use my BA status to gain access to the lounge (that would not be on the ticket).

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:01 am
Suspended

You wouldn't be flying with your silver status so it's a probable no.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: LH HON
Don't use your Advantage #, present your boarding pass along with the BAEC card and retro claim the miles through AA afterwards?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:10 am

Really? Is Oneworld that tough on it?

Its usually possible on *A airlines to credit to one program while showing a card from another to get the status benefits....
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by trooper
Really? Is Oneworld that tough on it?

Its usually possible on *A airlines to credit to one program while showing a card from another to get the status benefits....
I have seen intermittant posts on the AA board that some AA staff have said that using the card from one OW airline to gain benefits such as lounge access but posting miles to another is 'against the rules'.

Though of course agents do make mistakes.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I've never done it, but I've heard from previous threads that you can add your status-holding FF number to your booking first, and enter the lounge based on that. After you're in the lounge, you can change your FF number online (I gather the Finnair website is good for this), and then the flight will credit to the updated FFP.

As I said, I can't guarantee that works, but might be worth a try.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Deltus
I've never done it, but I've heard from previous threads that you can add your status-holding FF number to your booking first, and enter the lounge based on that. After you're in the lounge, you can change your FF number online (I gather the Finnair website is good for this), and then the flight will credit to the updated FFP.

As I said, I can't guarantee that works, but might be worth a try.
This can be hit and miss...and if it credits to the wrong FFP, then having to have the TPs/ miles returned from BA and then to AA can be a real pain.

To the OP: I'm presuming you are flying in economy, since otherwise lounge access would be included?

Another possibility is to do a "platinum challenge" (not sure if they still do them, but I think they do). If you are indeed taking regular DFW-PVG flights, even in economy, should be able to make plat status reasonably quickly.

To be honest, the AA lounges are not that special...and I wouldn't personally risk faffing about. If you have an Amex plat charge card, the Centurion lounge at DFW is significantly better in most respects than the AA offerings (although the biscuits and gravy in the Flagship dining for OWEs are pretty scrumptious).

tb
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

No problems

I've entered AA lounges without a problem where my boarding pass had the AA # but I had entry via Oneworld sapphire (in my case it was AirBerlin status). They scan your boarding pass, then you show the other OW card (even the card is not necessary as long as you have the number - they can type it in). Then their system will show access for you and one guest. Just be clear on what the rules are, don't leave it up to the agent to come to a wrong conclusion.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Stick your AA# on your reservation.

Use your BA Silver card for lounge access.

I did it this way many times. No problems.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:44 pm
formerly maskelo

I've done this several times without a problem, what the lounge agent does usually is replace your FF number with the BA to access the lounge and then back to AA/ one world partner
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:28 pm

I'm BA silver; however managed to get AA top tier via work for 6 months.

Used to use the AA status to get into BA Gold lounge at heathrow T5 whilst keeping my BAEC number on my flight to accumulate status
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
While in the vast majority of cases I haven't encountered problems I have certainly come across the occasional lounge receptionist who seeks to apply their own rules of entry where this situation arises. IME it's more of a problem entering BA lounges with AA status than it is the other way around.

I can think of 1 location I visit regularly where a particular individual insists that it isn't within the rules. On those occasions I have always successfully argued that they are incorrect and gained entry but I dislike having to do that.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I just gainrd BA Gold status last year. I had done around 10 domestic segments (4 last year, 6 this year) that credits to AA on boarding pass. I had been in JFK, LGA, MIA, LAX, SFO, CLT, PHL. No problem whatsoever by showing the BA gold card for lounge access. Get in even the F lounge at JFK and LAX without any issue. I also been LAX QF lounge with a guest, no issue at all.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Stick your AA# on your reservation.

Use your BA Silver card for lounge access.

I did it this way many times. No problems.
Have done the same for many years, never an issue.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
This isn't against the rules and can be done, but does sometimes result in overeager lounge dragons changing your FF number in the system to the one on which you have status. And a few will just say it isn't allowed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.