Seat Recline Etiquette

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
At the risk of getting flamed for this comment, this sounds more like a bad parenting problem than a seat recline problem per se. Yes the pax in front does have a "right" to recline as a general matter. But it's rude to do so during meals, especially abruptly, and unsafe to do so during takeoff and landing. If the parent refused to make the child comply with safety instructions or general good manners, that's the issue.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Time for someone to list all the previous threads about parents controlling children on flights....;-)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
um, seats recline nothing you can do about it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
As seems to be the predominant way of doing it, yes I recline without asking but do it slowly to avoid spilled coffee. Never been an issue so far. Cabin crew police it during mealtime anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:43 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Only way to avoid this.

Remove all reclining seats from all aircraft, so no one gets a choice. That's the only way to ever end this argument.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
For me it's seats up until the end of the meal and then seats back. I don't usually ask but try to do it slowly just in case.

There is nothing more annoying than a sharp seat recline into you while you are having your meal. It usually knocks your wine bottle or water over.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
My simple rules - never before the meal, always with caution. One has a right to recline, not to be an a**.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Morph90
I HATE people in front of me reclining, really winds me up - I find it rude. When on SH, I aim for exit seats which can't recline over the joke of CE.

I do appreciate they have every "right" to recline - as would I.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I'd ban reclining seats on SH. Wizz, for once have the right idea...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
SH I don't recline

LH I wait till the meal service has been cleared, then recline
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
I have to be honest I never ask before reclining my seat and have never seen anyone else do it. I do try to do it slowly and gently to avoid spilling coffee though.
What he said
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Why not follow the ways of Ryan Air and charge for a reclining seat...? that way people can't really complain if they have actually chosen to sit in an area with reclining seats and someone actually does so.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:53 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I never recline on short haul, mainly because I feel awful for anyone behind.

On long haul I would absolutely expect to be able to recline. I would probably recline after take off but then put it back up when the meal service begins. I'd leave it up until the cabin crew had cleared everything away and then I'd probably go back down (slowly). I've been on a non-BA longish hall (5.5 hours) and the person behind me didn't want me to recline because he was very tall. I said since it was overnight could we come up with a compromise since the seats were very upright and we worked something out. I think being reasonable on both sides is the key.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Other than on departure and landing and in those very rare circumstances where turbulence aloft requires seatbacks up, you should feel free to recline to the fullest extent your seat permits.

I do not and would not consider asking as it is none of anyone else's business, other than perhaps the Captain.

But, that does not mean slamming your seat back is OK. In the particular situation, I would have asked the CC to intervene with the parents. No idea how old the child was, but it's hardly appropriate for OP to intervene directly.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Thanks very much all. I know that the answer is J - but y was already Ł1200 for short notice flights! (Poor planning).

I will feel less bad about gently reclining after meal service in future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.