Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YouFirst / spa [rant]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:03 pm

I too had a similarly bizzare interaction with YF last month. I have a 10 hour transit in T5. Still no appointment slot - imagine that?! Annoyed, I contacted GGL. They apologised and secured me an appointment about 2.5 hours before my outbound flight.

YF really doesn't live up to its name. Wonder they've been trained just to say no and annoy F passengers.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Well, I usually go for the facial and the massage chair. It is not bad ( it is free ) and lasts just less than 15 mins but I do not get that excited about it if I cannot get one

You can probably get a better treatment elsewhere ( paying for it) but I think because it is free and advertised that sets people up for disappointment if they cannot get a booking.
I too go for the facial only. It helps me arrive after a long haul flight without feeling like my face is a parchment.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've rarely seen anything positive about the Spa posted on here. Maybe they'd be better to close it and divert the resources elsewhere?
Unless they're being paid good money by those who manage it of course.
Agree with this. Not only is the experience underwhelming, but I'd argue that the advertising of the service is misleading when most of the time it can't be booked by "normal" fare-paying customers who don't follow FT to the point where they're aware you need to book 28 days out to have a chance of getting a slot. Overall it seems like a negative for BA because it sets up expectations with the customer that they choose not to deliver on.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is the spa, or the lounges for that matter, actually run by BA or is are they owned and managed by other business? Are the lounge/spa staff BA employees?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Is the spa, or the lounges for that matter, actually run by BA or is are they owned and managed by other business? Are the lounge/spa staff BA employees?
As is pretty clear when you're there, it's an Elemis operation.

Elemis is a brand of the World Floating Spa Domination Company Steiner Leisure.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Well, I usually go for the facial and the massage chair. It is not bad ( it is free ) and lasts just less than 15 mins but I do not get that excited about it if I cannot get one

You can probably get a better treatment elsewhere ( paying for it) but I think because it is free and advertised that sets people up for disappointment if they cannot get a booking.

Regards

TBS
This. ^
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:55 am

Well Steiner Leisure do not list BA as one of their clients... I would imagine that they would. I know that the hairdressers in the J lounge at LHR are BA staff having had a nice chat last time I flew J...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
A haircut at T5?!

I think it's what TBS referred to that annoys me most - it's being primed to expect a first class concierge service (YF) organising a complimentary spa treatment... then finding it ultimately leads to wasted time and little else.

BA must know how often it's used and by what passenger group (by status / cabin etc) and need to either have appropriate capacity or withdraw the option altogether. It certainly shouldn't be advertised as part of the first class service when it can't reliably be offered!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
Yes, it's just that if you're not a GGL they seem not to give a toss.
That pretty much sums up BA
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Well Steiner Leisure do not list BA as one of their clients... I would imagine that they would.
They do: http://www.elemis.com/travel-spa
I know that the hairdressers in the J lounge at LHR are BA staff having had a nice chat last time I flew J...
I wasn't aware that there were any hairdressing treatments on offer: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...mis-travel-spa
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've rarely seen anything positive about the Spa posted on here. Maybe they'd be better to close it and divert the resources elsewhere?
Unless they're being paid good money by those who manage it of course.
But did you enjoy or not, personally?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:22 am

Oh dear... oh dear... I am a plonker! My flight last year was Virgin so my haircut was in the Virgin lounge - SORREEEEY.

I suppose that is what sparked the question... I was told that the hairdresser (yes... the Virgin one!!) was a Virgin employee so I wondered if the BA lounge staff/spa staff were BA employees or whether they farmed out the service to a third-party company.

Apologies!

PS it has reminded me though that I can't get a haircut at the T5 lounge for my next flight in August so thank you!!!!!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
I tried pre-booking with no luck, but still have been able to get in 2 out of 3 times, last time I went twice. (It was offered when I booked for my boyfriend who declined to use his appt.) I really enjoyed the facial and massage chair after an overnight flight during a 3 hour layover, you can only drink so much champagne when you are tired. Also enjoyed all the samples, which were perfect for using on the rest of my trip.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by kay sedia
you can only drink so much champagne when you are tired.
Eh?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I had the same issue flying to LAS from T3 last year. Luckily the YouFirst agent took the initiative that no availability all morning 28 days out looked odd, called the spa and found out they had "forgotten" to load the available appointments to the system so she booked us in manually.

Seems they forget to load these on a regular basis....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.