Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The real proof BA is no longer 'British'...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The real proof BA is no longer 'British'...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
It never ceases to amaze me watching our US cousins cut all their food up and then proceed to eat the whole meal with just a fork in their right hand.

In fact I've eaten in restaurants where they don't even have knives...
FYI the American style also originated from Europe. It's like blaming us for calling football "soccer" when the word "soccer" also originated in the UK.

It's also a matter of practicality. It's easier to eat items like rice, mash potato and beans using the fork with your dominant hand in the "scooping" style.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by muishkin
FYI the American style also originated from Europe. It's like blaming us for calling football "soccer" when the word "soccer" also originated in the UK.

It's also a matter of practicality. It's easier to eat items like rice, mash potato and beans using the fork with your dominant hand in the "scooping" style.
*What* potato?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by lorelai
It has really upset me that they have changed the film 'ma vie de courgette' to 'my life as a zucchini'. He wasn't an actual courgette that's just what his mother called him, she didn't call him Zucchini! Anyway; that's my courgette/zucchini rant over with.
Thankfully in the UK it was released as 'My Life As A Courgette".
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by muishkin

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
*What* potato?
A majority in the world eat with their hands, mostly no utensils. As Globalization speeds up and diets, cuisine and populations change so do habits.

BTW eating with hands brings you closer to your food ( nourishment) and allows you to feel the texture, temperatures etc, enhancing the pleasures of eating!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by zappomatic
Thankfully in the UK it was released as 'My Life As A Courgette".
But the only dubbed versions I can find call him zucchini. I want to watch the French one again anyway but I can't find it, so I'll wait til DVD. I absolutely loved this film. We have a fab independent cinema in sheffield (showroom) which plays many foreign films so it maybe on again soon. Sorry to go off topic!!!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by lorelai
But the only dubbed versions I can find call him zucchini. I want to watch the French one again anyway but I can't find it, so I'll wait til DVD. I absolutely loved this film. We have a fab independent cinema in sheffield (showroom) which plays many foreign films so it maybe on again soon. Sorry to go off topic!!!
I saw it at Cineworld and no mention of Zucchini at all! Title used Courgette, as did the dialogue. Disappointingly the listings were for French with subtitles but they showed the English (non-US) dub.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:28 pm

How British is the dish Chicken Tikka Masala ?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by HMPS
As in, was it invented in the UK? Then quite British Or is the question "is it liked by many British citizens/ residents?", then it is the most British of dishes.

One reading of the post suggests we should look beyond citizenship and residency to ethnicity at which point you need to seriously ask how British any food with Norman and/ or Viking links really is. This would suggest it's the potato which is the real foreign cancer.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The late Robin Cook, and former UK Foreign Secretary, certainly described it as a true British national dish, the context of a conversation where various other dishes associated with the UK seemed to be of foreign origin. Since there is no record of the dish existing before 1971, which is unusual given India's cultural traditions, this lends credence to it being invented in Glasgow about that time, and Glasgow is not that far from Robin Cook's former constituency. One Glasgow MP made a half hearted attempt to get Tikka Masala EU "protected designation of origin" status, would would have restricted future manufacture of tikka masala to the Glasgow area. I can't think of anything else with PDO status in Glasgow (even Buckfast is English).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by muscat
Thought from the title it was going to be plane departed and landed on schedule, wonderful flight crew, food, etc...
You mean passengers weren't treated as RAF cargo?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
@gpapadop posted this recently:

https://d36tnp772eyphs.cloudfront.ne...nfographic.jpg
Attached Images  
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
+1!

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
OT (unless these phrases are used by crew...), but I like this.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The late Robin Cook, and former UK Foreign Secretary, certainly described it as a true British national dish, the context of a conversation where various other dishes associated with the UK seemed to be of foreign origin. Since there is no record of the dish existing before 1971, which is unusual given India's cultural traditions, this lends credence to it being invented in Glasgow about that time, and Glasgow is not that far from Robin Cook's former constituency. One Glasgow MP made a half hearted attempt to get Tikka Masala EU "protected designation of origin" status, would would have restricted future manufacture of tikka masala to the Glasgow area. I can't think of anything else with PDO status in Glasgow (even Buckfast is English).
And are we to believe that the Glaswegians coined the words Tikka & Masala ?
BTW I do recall the dish Chicken Tikka Masala on Indian menus a long long time ago , predating 1971.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And are we to believe that the Glaswegians coined the words Tikka & Masala ?
BTW I do recall the dish Chicken Tikka Masala on Indian menus a long long time ago , predating 1971.
My 1976 edition of Madhur Jaffrey's "An Invitation to Indian Cooking" makes no mention of Chicken Tikka Masala, nor does her 1982 "Indian Cooking". It would seem she does not regard it worthy of inclusion in either volume

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.