Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego to London Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

San Diego to London Heathrow

I did see recently that the 747 has been changed to a 777?

Can anybody confirm why this was done, or if it will be going back?

Is the 777 operated on the SAN-LHR route of the upgraded WTP cabin?

Thanks greatly!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I booked my flights on the 777 for the Christmas holidays, but a few days later I got an Expert Flyer alert to say that it had been switched out to a 747. Looks like it's the super hi J both ways, so upgraded IFE/ WTP.

It kind of sucks though as I had booked into F to avoid dorm class J on the 777, but I would have been more than happy with the UD on the 747 in J. Oh well, T5 wing here I come for the return leg

They seem to use the 777 over Spring and Summer and then revert back to the 747 later in the year.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by coolone119
I did see recently that the 747 has been changed to a 777?

Can anybody confirm why this was done, or if it will be going back?

Is the 777 operated on the SAN-LHR route of the upgraded WTP cabin?

Thanks greatly!
I'm not 100% sure exactly why it was done but supply and demand springs to mind so revenue management have no doubt done their sums and aircraft are switched about from their different winter and summer schedules. There are more Y and W seats on the 777-300 compared to the 747 (86J version) as well as the overall number of seats in total so maybe they are selling more seats*. * corporate-wage-slave may have info on this, possibly.

SAN has in the main been on the -300ER version which are all fairly new and have the newer IFE system but not the Panasonic one that the 747 86J version has. It's still very good though and as an aside I am on the SAN-LHR flight on Monday. So if you are in WTP then the seats are the new ones.

You can also check MMB v thebasource seatmaps which will also tell if it's a 777-200 or a 777-300
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

By the way, the SAN to LHR route now has competition for Europe bound travelers due to new nonstop routes from SAN to ZRH via Edelweiss, as well as SAN to FRA via Condor.

Was dropping off a guest at Terminal 2 in San Diego last weekend, the tiny single runway at Lindberg Field sure is busy!

Not sure if these new routes will affect the SAN-LHR business.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

By the way, the SAN to LHR route now has competition for Europe bound travelers due to new nonstop routes from SAN to ZRH via Edelweiss, as well as SAN to FRA via Condor.
LH adds SAN-FRA in spring 2018 which will be more competitive for business travelers than Condor.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
SAN-LHR showing as Super Hi J on 4th Nov, do you think this is now finalised in winter schedule? Was considering SEA-LHR but would like to have upper deck
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
SAN-LHR showing as Super Hi J on 4th Nov, do you think this is now finalised in winter schedule? Was considering SEA-LHR but would like to have upper deck
In my experience, this should be regarded as the 80% position, it will probably stick now, but aircraft utilisation is always under review, and a lot will depend on ticket sales between now and departure (and, of course, relative to every other longhaul route that BA operates!).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
SAN will be a 747 route in the winter schedule.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC

Was dropping off a guest at Terminal 2 in San Diego last weekend, the tiny single runway at Lindberg Field sure is busy!

Not sure if these new routes will affect the SAN-LHR business.
Busiest single runway airport here in the US. 3rd in the world behind Mumbai and Gatters.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Busiest single runway airport here in the US. 3rd in the world behind Mumbai and Gatters.
Off-topic, but Mumbai has 2 runways (have arrived / departed on both)

Pilot37
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Pilot37
Off-topic, but Mumbai has 2 runways (have arrived / departed on both)

Pilot37
And so does LGW, but I think like LGW, BOM only uses one runway at any one time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.