Search

BA15: deplaning at SIN is optional?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mikem004
Thanks for the replies.
I was particularly interested to find out of there would me more Security queues at the SIN layover. Sounds like there will be.
I was going to go cabin baggage only on this trip. Instead I will just take the bare essentials on board with me, and check-in my main bag.
I can't stand the faff the taking my main bag off at SIN to go through another Security round.
It is a non-issue. I carry a full cabin bag with all sorts of junk well over probably about 2 dozen times a year through SIN gate security. I never thought of it as a particular hassle, except that they tend to pick on scissors even if they are well within European limits.

What you absolutely MUST know is that Australia does not permit duty free liquids purchased at LHR to be carried over onto the flight from SIN onwards (in addition, you have to get your duty free purchase at SIN gate-delivered if over 100 ml), so you must not buy duty free liquids unless you can fit it into a 100 ml container in a 1 litre resealable bag or you have a particular desire to lose it at SIN...

Given the very rough handling that baggage is often given at SYD, if you are in a position to travel HBO, I recommend doing so.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
I'm not sure there are many, if any, international flights where you don't need to get off the plane when transiting even if it is the same flight - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai are ones where I have gotten off.
​​​​​​Cayman is one-or at least it just to be. Not sure any more now that is a different aeroplane on that route.

Agree totally on the Pj's. I have absolutely no hesitation in changing in to a sleeper suit from first or another airline when I'm in CW, or other business class cabins that don't have them.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I found the shower on the reverse BA16 pre SIN-LHR a definte must, both legs were F and allowed additional LPGS consumption before a very comfy sleep
Agree there we always do the BA11 and BA15 and in reverse BA16 and BA12, on both sectors out and back you get plenty of time for a shower and totally freshen up and a bite to eat, also getting on a different aircraft makes it nice change of scenery albeit a metal tube. We always use the QF lounge find that nicer and showers are good, only get Veuve but often find am not need too much more bubbles as consumed quite a bit on either the LHR leg or QF F lounge.^
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm not sure anyone except airline employees traveling nonrev care what they or anyone else looks like on long hauls. Comfort is a key way to surviving these 10 to 15 hour flights that airlines have introduced.
Darling, sitting there and ripping to shreds what other pax are wearing IS a way to survive long haul flights!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by flatlander
You must get off the aircraft in Singapore. You have to clear Singapore security at the gate before you board - so take care trying to carry liquids back on board.
On this aspect, remember that on the SIN-SYD sector, Australia will not allow you to carry on liquids etc that exceed the baggie allowance (100 ml limit etc). This applies to liquids bought at duty free shops even if they are in a STEB. So if you're going to buy duty free liquids, buy them at SIN and no earlier.
I was particularly interested to find out of there would me more Security queues at the SIN layover. Sounds like there will be.
Fortunately, security at SIN is at the gate. Basically, so long as you're in the security queue at the gate, the aircraft isn't going to leave without you. So this is less stressful than in a conventional centralised security arrangement.
I'm not sure there are many, if any, international flights where you don't need to get off the plane when transiting even if it is the same flight - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai are ones where I have gotten off.
In the days of the JSA, this used to be complex.

If transiting at SIN, you had to get off whether you were flying BA or QF.

But if transiting at BKK, you only had to get off if you were on a BA aircraft. If flying QF, you didn't have to get off if you preferred to stay on board, and you could leave cabin baggage on board even if you did get off.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm not sure there are many, if any, international flights where you don't need to get off the plane when transiting even if it is the same flight - Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Dubai are ones where I have gotten off. I know Los Angeles needs pax on NZ1/2 to get off and I believe they even have to fill in immigration forms even though they are not landing in the US!
LON - CMB via MLE (is another historical one), passengers stayed put, the aircraft was partially cleaned around you, and the crew changed too. It was quite fun watching the handover.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly

Also, despite being a very efficient airport, this is one of the few occasions when my luggage didn't transfer from the BA16 to the BA12 - so never checking luggage again for me !
I always find it strange that people don't check in their bags more often. I travel about 60-70 times a year and I like to check everything in. I've never had a bag missing (and now I'm sure my next flight will miss my bags )
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks for the replies.
I was going to go cabin baggage only on this trip. Instead I will just take the bare essentials on board with me, and check-in my main bag.
I can't stand the faff the taking my main bag off at SIN to go through another Security round.
Security is conducted right at the entrance to the waiting area of the boarding lounge. There are usually two lanes processing passengers, no priority for premium.

The earlier you arrive at the gate, the longer the queues will be. Arrive just before the gate closes (ie the time printed on your boarding pass... 15 or 20 minutes before departure) and there'll likely be nobody waiting.

Note that the flight monitors are particularly aggressive at SIN... they seem to show 'gate closing' about 45 minutes prior to departure. If you follow that advice you can arrive to long queues for security and to find boarding hasn't even started. So you can arrive a little later than that.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Security is conducted right at the entrance to the waiting area of the boarding lounge. There are usually two lanes processing passengers, no priority for premium.

The earlier you arrive at the gate, the longer the queues will be. Arrive just before the gate closes (ie the time printed on your boarding pass... 15 or 20 minutes before departure) and there'll likely be nobody waiting.

Note that the flight monitors are particularly aggressive at SIN... they seem to show 'gate closing' about 45 minutes prior to departure. If you follow that advice you can arrive to long queues for security and to find boarding hasn't even started. So you can arrive a little later than that.
One of the two lanes is for Fast Track eligible passengers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
One of the two lanes is for Fast Track eligible passengers.
Thanks. Never noticed it! Or is it BA specific?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Thanks. Never noticed it! Or is it BA specific?
Of the airlines I've travelled on from SIN (BA, CX, TG, LX, SG) all have had a priority lane for eligible passengers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:45 am

You might not of noticed because in my experience there is no practical difference - usually half the flight if not more has access via cabin or status ! But as others have said the plane won't leave if you are in the queue, so it isn't a big stress point
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BA6501
CX889 JFK-YVR-HKG, no need to get off at YVR (the same is not true for the reverse however).
Getting off at stopovers is not up to the airline but up to the destination country's requirements.

HKG-YVR-JFK, yes you have to get off because US Border requires it.
JFK-YVR-HKG, no because HKG immigration does not.
Similarly, with LHR-SIN-SYD and vv... the destination country requires that security checks are done.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Getting off at stopovers is not up to the airline but up to the destination country's requirements.

HKG-YVR-JFK, yes you have to get off because US Border requires it.
JFK-YVR-HKG, no because HKG immigration does not.
Similarly, with LHR-SIN-SYD and vv... the destination country requires that security checks are done.
The JSA experience suggested that the destination country's requirements are not the only consideration. I think that the most logical explanation I got to for what was then the situation was that Singapore required everyone to get off but Bangkok did not, and BA required everyone to get off but QF did not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.