Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA set to outsource its Manchester and Newcastle call centres

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA set to outsource its Manchester and Newcastle call centres

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
And as posted elsewhere but not picked up BA are closing our Buenos Aires base giving the 19 crew based there just over 4 weeks notice.
We have been told that it has nothing to do with saving money and that we do not need Spanish speakers onboard, very very sad for our lovely Argentinian crew.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
The call centres are not closing. Staff will transfer to Capita.

The savings come from:

Removing staff travel perks from everyone (these are not covered by TUPE)

Hiring new staff on less than the £20k paid to existing staff, which is apparently a lot of money in the north - although apparently even at £20k BA cannot retain staff there
20k is not 'a lot of money in the north'. Also a lot of colleagues will be on less than 20k, a new agent starting now will be on approx 15,500 plus bonuses which will still mean pay is under 20k mark.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Anonba
20k is not 'a lot of money in the north'. Also a lot of colleagues will be on less than 20k, a new agent starting now will be on approx 15,500 plus bonuses which will still mean pay is under 20k mark.
It's good money for a basic contact centre agent though; not a lot of money in absolute terms, but good for the formal skill levels that are required. (And incidentally, probably more than most cabin crew!)

Ultimately the cost savings may or may not be great; but there is scope for service improvements (at least in terms of availability). It will depend on how intelligently the outsource is run on the BA side - I don't know how effective Capita is but a well-run outsource could improve on the standards that BA currently have. Hopefully it won't be purely cost driven and we will see some intelligently implemented SLAs, rather than the status quo being seen as the gold standard.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Oh well, there goes one of the key drivers for retaining GGL: the excellent Manchester telephone team

I am already rehearsing my face-to-face complaint at the GGL Event on 4th July
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch
Oh well, there goes one of the key drivers for retaining GGL: the excellent Manchester telephone team

I am already rehearsing my face-to-face complaint at the GGL Event on 4th July
To be fair the current Manchester team is remaining albeit they will be TUPE'd over to Capita. Whether the quality of agents remains longer term is a different matter.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
It's good money for a basic contact centre agent though; not a lot of money in absolute terms, but good for the formal skill levels that are required. (And incidentally, probably more than most cabin crew!)

Ultimately the cost savings may or may not be great; but there is scope for service improvements (at least in terms of availability). It will depend on how intelligently the outsource is run on the BA side - I don't know how effective Capita is but a well-run outsource could improve on the standards that BA currently have. Hopefully it won't be purely cost driven and we will see some intelligently implemented SLAs, rather than the status quo being seen as the gold standard.
As i said though new agents and those on newer contracts will only be on approx 15,500 basic which is roughly equivalent to mixed fleet pay.
And yes people underestimate the amount of skill and knowledge needed to be a contact centre agent for BA. Dont forget of course as well that agents can work shifts starting from as early as 6 in the morning or finishing at ten at night, weekends and bank holidays including new year and christmas!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Blue
And night shift social media 'executive's 😀

Originally Posted by Anonba
As i said though new agents and those on newer contracts will only be on approx 15,500 basic which is roughly equivalent to mixed fleet pay.
And yes people underestimate the amount of skill and knowledge needed to be a contact centre agent for BA. Dont forget of course as well that agents can work shifts starting from as early as 6 in the morning or finishing at ten at night, weekends and bank holidays including new year and christmas!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair the current Manchester team is remaining albeit they will be TUPE'd over to Capita. Whether the quality of agents remains longer term is a different matter.
If it's true as mentioned upthread that BA will use TUPE loopholes to remove some staff benefits, "longer term" might become a lot shorter than we'd like. Once you lose that experience, it doesn't come back quickly. The call centre is one of the top 3 reasons for me to retain GGL, I wouldn't hold out great hope for that remaining the case in this environment, We shall see.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I also fear for the quality of the handover training when the current staff start churning. Those who know what can and can't be done will be replaced by computer says no.

Getting anything done will probably be nigh on impossible.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:22 am

I have always found the quality of service given by agents in these existing call centres second to none. They have always gone the extra mile for me and arranged some non standard bookings. I doubt their replacements will come close to offering the same level of service.

Cost cutting comes at a much higher price later on... why can't BA management recognise this?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
To add to what another poster said above, I fear "longer term" is no more than 6-12 months...

It's a shame, but will matter a bit less to me going forward as I'm currently pencilled in for an engagement from Q1 2018 which would see my international travel drop to almost zero.

With a BAEC anniversary of 8th March and on target for a tad over 3500TPs this year, I'll retain GGL until April 2019 but can't see myself shelling out my own cash even to retain Gold thereafter, let alone GGL...

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted - now all I have to do is spend x000k Avios and a bunch of GUFs
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:48 am

I have seen TUPE in action at major corporations and I can tell you it is rarely a good ending.

My dealings with NCL over the years have nearly always had a good outcome. So sorry for them being sold off like this.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cymro

This is BA we are talking about! There won't be any 'intelligent' SLA

What service improvements so you think capita could implement that BA currently aren't? And if BA won't pay for them why shuold capita introduce them?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DELLAS
I have seen TUPE in action at major corporations and I can tell you it is rarely a good ending.

My dealings with NCL over the years have nearly always had a good outcome. So sorry for them being sold off like this.
Originally Posted by Fitch
To add to what another poster said above, I fear "longer term" is no more than 6-12 months...

It's a shame, but will matter a bit less to me going forward as I'm currently pencilled in for an engagement from Q1 2018 which would see my international travel drop to almost zero.

With a BAEC anniversary of 8th March and on target for a tad over 3500TPs this year, I'll retain GGL until April 2019 but can't see myself shelling out my own cash even to retain Gold thereafter, let alone GGL...

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted - now all I have to do is spend x000k Avios and a bunch of GUFs
Yes I don't disagree.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by tamalien
Cost cutting comes at a much higher price later on... why can't BA management recognise this?
I'm sure they do recognise this - they simply don't care as the management will be gone in a few years with a big bonus. BA is now simply the absolute stench of unchecked capitalism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.