Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Complimentary Status Renewal for Two Years

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Windy1875
I called the Silver line today and was advised that my membership will be extended automatically for two years in August when my collect year ends.
Were they clear on which 2 years would be extended? My collection year also ends in August, and I've already got 670 TPs this year, which would give me Silver until Sep 2018. I'm hoping that the 2 year extension would therefore take me to Sep 2020, but not sure if BA IT will agree with me...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Deltus
Were they clear on which 2 years would be extended? My collection year also ends in August, and I've already got 670 TPs this year, which would give me Silver until Sep 2018. I'm hoping that the 2 year extension would therefore take me to Sep 2020, but not sure if BA IT will agree with me...
Based on the reports on here that seems unlikely. It seems the two year extension is essentially adding two year on to the expiry date of your card which you held at the time of the disruption. So your card would have expired 30 September 2017 and if I had to guess I think you will have an extension to 30 September 2019.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Based on the reports on here that seems unlikely. It seems the two year extension is essentially adding two year on to the expiry date of your card which you held at the time of the disruption. So your card would have expired 30 September 2017 and if I had to guess I think you will have an extension to 30 September 2019.
I agree it seems unlikely, but I'm an optimist! My reasoning is that if I hadn't earned Silver last year, then I'd have got a new Silver card when I hit 600 TPs this year (say, in March). That card would have had an expiry date of Sep 2018, so presumably would have been extended to Sep 2020. If they only extend mine to 2019, they're essentially disadvantaging me for having held Silver last year too. Can't really complain since it's a free gesture anyway, but seems like an odd arbitrary distinction for BA to make.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I agree it seems unlikely, but I'm an optimist! My reasoning is that if I hadn't earned Silver last year, then I'd have got a new Silver card when I hit 600 TPs this year (say, in March). That card would have had an expiry date of Sep 2018, so presumably would have been extended to Sep 2020. If they only extend mine to 2019, they're essentially disadvantaging me for having held Silver last year too. Can't really complain since it's a free gesture anyway, but seems like an odd arbitrary distinction for BA to make.
Yes, but if you pursue that line of argument where does it end? Many of us regularly re-qualify for our particular status level every year, like you I have already re-qualified in my current year for my next membership year, and am likely to re-qualify next year for my year after. Do I have 2 years of free GGL status for some distant point in the future when I eventually don't re-qualify?

Anyway, do come back and report what you get in the end. At the very least it will help us try and understand the detail of how BA are determining this since we are all guessing a little here
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
I am in the exact same boat as you are... reqalified for GGL already, got extended by 2 years, and final date showing as Sep 2019, so essentially 1 year extra, which I am quite happy with
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:00 am

Received the email however my card year end has not updated. Called BA twice, first call advised it would not be extended until my tier year end in Oct, second call was less positive and advised my flight was not affected having taken the details (flew on the Monday) and therefore I may not get the extension. Fair or not fair, I assumed it was a case of travelling over that weekend; Sat - Mon, receive the email, receive the extension. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Received the email however my card year end has not updated. Called BA twice, first call advised it would not be extended until my tier year end in Oct, second call was less positive and advised my flight was not affected having taken the details (flew on the Monday) and therefore I may not get the extension. Fair or not fair, I assumed it was a case of travelling over that weekend; Sat - Mon, receive the email, receive the extension. Any thoughts?
From why I have heard from friends, and also read on the forum, is that if you travelled on Saturday or Sunday, you would likely have received the email, but on Monday, not a guarantee. I travelled Fri, Sat, and Monday and did receive the email.

Were you affected?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:38 am
dsf
Original Poster

Programs: Nowt of note.
FWIW, my (silver) gf and I travelled on the same flights, same PNR, and got the email within seconds of each other. My date was extended into 2019 some days ago now, but hers still hasn't changed. To reiterate a point I made a while back: I'm convinced there's no pattern to be teased out here. Trusting BA's IT to appear rational in applying service recovery for an IT fault seems ... flawed.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pazza2000
How predictable!

Send the offer out, only to start shifting the goal posts a few weeks later.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I'M APRIL 2018!! A friend of mine called GGL and they did it manually. His year end is October 8th. I'm worried now we'll get to next April and it won't happen, and the Gold line will be unwilling to help as it's all a distant memory...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Still nothing showing up on the app or website for me. Has only been three weeks or so, I'll give them another week and then call up.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Same for me, my card expires 30th June 2017. I received the email on 2nd June and I was flying on the Bank Holiday Monday. Although delayed, it was a minimal delay in comparison to many affected. But, nonetheless, I received the email and I expect my card will update at some point (likely after the current one expires next week).

Incidentally, in the dates between my TP collection ending (May 8th) and card expiry (June 30th) I already accumulated 695 points, which would retain my silver status anyway. Not complaining though...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, but if you pursue that line of argument where does it end? Many of us regularly re-qualify for our particular status level every year, like you I have already re-qualified in my current year for my next membership year, and am likely to re-qualify next year for my year after. Do I have 2 years of free GGL status for some distant point in the future when I eventually don't re-qualify?

Anyway, do come back and report what you get in the end. At the very least it will help us try and understand the detail of how BA are determining this since we are all guessing a little here

4 of us in the family affected. All simply had an additional 2 years added on to the Card Expiry Date from what it showed at the beginning of June:

- a GCH with a February 2018 expiry, now has a February 2020 expiry
- a SCH with a March 2018 expiry, now has a March 2020 expiry
- a GGL with a May 2018 expiry, now has a May 2020 expire
- and a partner card GCH with an April 2019 expiry, now has a April 2021 expiry
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just been told by the gold line that they are not updating status expiry dates until the current expiry date held is reached; clearly nonsense. Does make you wonder what BA have ( or have not ) told their front line staff about this.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
From why I have heard from friends, and also read on the forum, is that if you travelled on Saturday or Sunday, you would likely have received the email, but on Monday, not a guarantee. I travelled Fri, Sat, and Monday and did receive the email.

Were you affected?
Received the extension email, flew on Monday and other than a minor delay was not affected! Appreciate compared to most, I was not inconvenienced, however having received the email, I would mind them following up on it.

Would the first call advice of waiting until my tier end year before noticing the extension be correct. Currently have Silver until Oct 18, however unlikely to renew next year and so an extension to '19 or '20 would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.